Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Batteries and Other Electrics  (Read 1536 times)

Le Caux Deux

Batteries and Other Electrics
« on: September 15, 2010, 02:31:52 pm »

I am on with a new tug build and can use a combination of batteries.

1 - I am using an Action P94 Mixer/ Speed Controller, and they seem to recommend using a battery for each motor, so which would be best 2 x 12v 4amh or 1 x 12v 7amh (which I used in my present tug with no problems).

2 - The 2 battery model would give a capacity of 8amh, do I charge the pair of batteries together at 0.8 amp or individually at 0.4amp

3 - I have a bow thruster using a Speed 400 motor which should be run at 7.5v since it will only be used in short bursts can I run this off my 12v supply through a speed controller, without causing damage.

Mike

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Batteries and Other Electrics
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 03:10:29 pm »

The two battery option is more reliable for most folk - connecting one battery to two devices can lead to some interesting interactions when a bit of wire falls off, the options are fewer with two batteries.  If you have confidence in your competence, go for it.
Two batteries can only be charged together if they are known to be in an identical state of discharge and condition.  The lower charged one will try to charge itself from the less discharged one until things even out.  The safe(ish) way is to charge each through a diode such as a 1N4005.  If the pair is offered 800mA, then the lowest will charge at that rate, hogging the juice, then they will both share alike when parity is reached.
Best solution, if possible, change the motor to a 12volt one.  OR, fit a resistor in series to calm it down a bit. (An element from a dead heating device such as an electric fire or hair dryer is good - find the best length for your purposes, and connect via a pair of screw terms.  OR cross your fingers and hope you don't forget and shove that stick too far, too often.  Thruster motors, by tradition, are very well hidden.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Prophet

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 03:31:47 pm »

this might be more worth while then using diffrent batterys for diffrent motors..

Actions P102 3-MOTOR POWER DISTRIBUTION BOARD

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pat.php

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 04:47:22 pm »

Hi Mike
Do not run the bow thruster on 12V What happens is the motor spins at a to high RPM . The water has a resistance on the paddle blade in the thruster unit , the higher RPM cause the plastic blade to slip on the motor shaft which cause more friction heat which melts the  plastic blade resulting in a dead thruster.  If I was you get a cheep small 7.2V battery pack foe the thruster or a small 6V battery

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.