Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: painting the waterline on the hull  (Read 3995 times)

yamato1

painting the waterline on the hull
« on: August 26, 2010, 09:43:59 am »

how do i stop the masking tape from leaving a uneven jagged edge when removing it so that i have a nice clean painted edge

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: painting the waterline on the hull
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 09:58:31 am »

yamato1...you could try using PVC insulation tape .....it provides a superior contact to the original surface & hence minimising any tendency to leach paint work down.......& is stronger when removing  :-))

Another thought is to upside down the hull.....dependent on what side of the line you are spraying.....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Prophet

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 10:05:20 am »

heres a trick for you.. place masking tape on.. then use the base colour and spray the area over the tape where the water line is this will 'seal' the tape line edge (any runs will be the hull colour). now let it dry, then once dry spray the water line with the colour you want and peel the tape off after its started to dry. you will get a perfect waterline with no runs or jagged edges

other tricks involve using low tack Tamyia tape this give s a good line also, there are other methods but the paint over tape method works well for me  :-))

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 10:16:08 am »

there are other methods but the paint over tape method works well for me  :-))

Seconded, its the same method as I use. 

Also ensure the paint is completely dry before trying to remove the tape, when using enamel type paints I allow at least 48 hours and acrylics about 24

You should also watch out for cheap masking tape, it can lift the paint its stuck to  (had this problem on my Will Everard)
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

pugwash

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 10:26:49 am »

I did my hull yesterday - good quality low tack masking tape pressed well into hull contours
has done a great job and no leaching of paint.

Geoff

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 05:02:39 pm »

Agreed, I used decent low tack tape and masked when painting both colours - i.e. when painting the first colour over the primer, and tehn masked the otehr side after leaving it for 24/48 hours. Good solid edge and no bleeding at all. 

Another thing I think is important is to buy BRAND NEW good quality, low tack tape and use that, not the old roll that has been sitting around in the drawer for 12 months or more. I think masking tape deteriorates over time - compare a new roll with an old roll and it looks and feels different and the older stuff does not fix as well to the surface.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 07:12:24 pm »

I date the the roll when I buy it and after its 3 month old it goes in the kids busy box as I've found its not much use after that

Also steer clear of the cheap 3 rolls for a pound stuff.... its ok for masking off windows when decorating at home but other than that its not much use
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 10:15:17 pm »

PVC Insulation tape and peel off when wet always works for me.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 07:54:22 pm »

Hi,         I chock up the hull with the fore and aft draught marks with a spirit level across the bulwarks, then with a permanent marker pen (black) held at the correct height, I used a tin of beans, and gently slide the can and pen round the hull.    I use a rigger brush or signwriters lining brush with long 2"or 3" bristles to get a perfect line over the pen line.         Holding the brush handle at the tip, load the brush and lightly drag the bristles along your line.       Start every stroke away from the line and bring it up to the line.       Rotate the brush between thumb and forefinger to use all the paint in the bristles.      Cheers now,    Geoff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 23 queries.