Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red Oxide  (Read 6131 times)

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
Red Oxide
« on: August 26, 2010, 10:24:10 am »

A yacht Im working on had a note with it saying the paint colouring was red oxide (glossy finish).

Whilst I have heard of this colour, I dont know what to actually buy - is it an enamel, a spray paint......... what ?

Can anyone help

thanks
Andrew

pugwash

Re: Red Oxide
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 11:16:36 am »

Hi Andrew,  Red oxide is the priming paint for steel ships It is also the almost exact colour
of red anti-fouling paint.  Depends what sort of paint  you are going to use on your model,
I use acrylic primer and do the underside in Hi-cote red primer which is good match for
Assuming you are meaning below water line - it is unusual to have a gloss colour  to represent antifoul
it is painted on and dries to a sort of dull silk finish but within weeks it goes matt .  If it is a modern
yacht antifoul comes in various colours - dull red, black, every shade of blue and in the Med they
often use white.

Geoff

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 11:28:33 am »

Hi Geoff

thanks for that, the model is a Pond Yacht, and the finish does seem incredibly glossy - Im wondering if someone has put one of those gloss laquers over the top perhaps
 - yes its below the waterline

cheers
Andrew

Dave Buckingham

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 02:41:54 pm »

Hi Andrew

Red Oxide Primer as Geoff said is the exact colour any make of spray will do.

Then coat with varnish to give a more solid finnished shine which can be as shiny as you want

Dave

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 03:02:53 pm »

cheers Dave, thought you were off to sunnier climes this week ?

triumphjon

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 09:34:36 pm »

please remember to varnish your red primer , as primer IS  porus , ie it soaks up any moisture !

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 10:48:40 pm »

I recently painted the house front door with Berger non-drip gloss a rather attractive Burgandy. Looks just the job for a pond yacht, rich gloss anti-fouling polished for speed. 500ml can did the door and half a can left so I will be using it on a Veron Thames river police launch.    BTW , I`ve tried the spray can Rust-oleum "Painter`s Touch" brand   for the first time and am very pleased with the result. Navy Blue suits the police launch, high gloss, quick drying.  Seems to be an enamel type, not acrylic or cellulose.
..well can you land on this?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 12:03:14 pm »

Took a pic of red and blue from above post. WIP, dont know if I like the gold stripe, need to sand under it smooth too ,work in progress.  I should have said it is a variation on the Veron version, slightly modernised and a cross between it and the one from this picture (River Police Museum ).

Mikasa

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 01:47:24 pm »

Hi Halfords do a gloss red oxide primer it is acrylic bud does need a lacquer finish. Brian

mikgo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 04:14:34 pm »

Hi All
Wilkinsons do a red tile paint that is good and looks about the same colur as anti-fouling, although it is a matt finish so may not be suitable for your yacht without varnish.
if we didnt have boats, we'ved  have webbed feet

triumphjon

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 07:39:18 pm »

Hi Halfords do a gloss red oxide primer it is acrylic bud does need a lacquer finish. Brian
  may i ask why we need a GLOSS PRIMER  ?

CJ1

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 07:57:18 pm »

Hi All,

Antifouling paint on real boats is matt. I know red oxide and primer is porous, and so no good for wood hulls, but how about epoxying first, or spraying with gloss, and then finishing with matt primer or red oxide. It's such a close match to antifouling.
Chris

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 09:57:37 pm »

Chris,
I think the confusion arises as when the anti-fouling is painted on in a dry dock some are a gloss red finish.
This changes after about 24 hrs in the water.
Most people only get to see the ship being launched so assume that it is a gloss red.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 08:04:53 am »

If we go back to Bluewhatsit`s original first post we see that he asks about a pond yacht. A racing yacht might have a gloss bottom for "slipperiness" and not anti-fouling purposes. O0

CJ1

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 06:48:18 pm »

Obviously with a non-scale pond yacht, a gloss finish is more slippery and quite appropriate. Only for a true scale model do you need matt.

On real boats, only yachts that are taken out of the water after each time are left without antifouling, ie a gloss finish. These can be small day sailers right up to Americas Cup boats.
Anything that is left in the water needs antifouling, and having spent 30 years applying them, they are glossy when first applied and still wet, but they dry to a satin or matt finish within half an hour. These can be burnished whenever the boat is lifted out of the water for cleaning, but are still only satin at best.
Confusion can arise as photos often show the paint freshly applied and not yet dry, or just washed down and so still glossy with water.

By their nature, antifouling paints degrade and constantly lose their surface, making them even more matt and discoloured with time.

Chris

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 10:45:14 pm »

Plasti Kote do a good red primer that isnt gloss and is good as an anti foul lookalike. I've used it on my MSW Envoy build.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.