Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lacquer for yacht deck  (Read 2172 times)

dhb141

Lacquer for yacht deck
« on: August 17, 2010, 02:39:43 pm »

Hi,

I've been a member of the forum for a little while now and learned a great deal from all the many skillful people who contribute to it, but this is my first posting - so hi!    I'm making a pond yacht with a one-piece ply deck which I want to leave its natural colour but with a high gloss finish.   Is it possible to use Halford's lacquer finish directly on to wood or would I be better using a polyurethane varnish?   I would be grateful for any advise.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Lacquer for yacht deck
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 02:52:23 pm »

Halford's lacquer is not intended for use on bare wood.

Use a polyurethane varnish (exterior variety) or, even better, proper yacht varnish which has a warm depth and glow to it. Another possibility is epoxy finishing resin but personally I'd go for the yacht varish - after all it's meant for yachts!

(Don't be tempted by the quick dry acrylic varnishes as they are not a patch on polyurethane or yacht varnish)

Colin

Prophet

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 07:57:51 pm »

go with the yacht varnish it turns out a treat, the car lacquer  gives a good finish but its more work, seal the wood first if your using it , and be sure to sand between coats and take your time buffing the finish

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 08:00:51 pm »

Several coats of yacht varnish without sealing first will give you a better finish, use wet and dry between coats. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

dhb141

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 08:40:13 pm »

Thanks for the replies folks.   I did give an offcut of ply two or three coats of lacquer spray a few weeks ago and it seems to be ok but I wasn't sure of the durability on wood - so, I'll go with the polyurethane and play it safe.   Thanks again.

Don
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.