Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding a lead keel  (Read 1726 times)

Myansome

Adding a lead keel
« on: August 27, 2010, 06:15:39 pm »

Having just bought this 2foot 6inch yacht off ebay, I need to add a lead keel ............................. any suggestions PLEAS ........... HELP!  :embarrassed:
Chhers,
John

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Adding a lead keel
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 10:38:45 am »

Hi Myansome,

Have you got a lead bulb or are you making one? If the latter I would make it up from laminations of lead flashing with a 'neck' that fits round the base of the wood keel. Then bolt and glue the neck to the wood keel.

I've built two bulbs from laminations and have been quite happy with them. However, I have not had to attach them to an existing wooden keel like your boats, so the process would be a bit of an experiment.  :-))

Good luck

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Myansome

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 03:25:11 pm »

:-)) Took some time, although I am learning how to build a plank on frame static fishing boat as well; BUT ........

....... lead on keel added
............. SWMBO made the sails and I have stitched them on
............. some more to do THEN in the Spring we'll test the JSM(Jimmy Strick Matthews) as I've called her ....... named after my grandfather.
hey ho
May need to put some lead on the rudder ........
Need to make a new base stand!
Let's see how she free sails.
Thanks for the advice, Doug. The old lead flshing has been screwed on and covered with filler.
Roll on the Spring!  8)

Myansome

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 09:58:37 pm »

:-))    Boy, is she nippy ....................... had to leg it around the pool. May need to add more lead and lead on the rudder. We'll see!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.