Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Type of glue ?  (Read 4784 times)

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
Type of glue ?
« on: August 27, 2010, 07:12:27 pm »

For something different I have started building a Tamiya kit.

Amongst the lists of things to get are the various glues to use

Tamiya Plastic Cement - thats pretty straight forward and the same as Humbrols

Tamiyas Instant Cement - Im guessing that to be a form of superglue, although they advertise it as "for rubber tires"

the third one Im at a loss on - synthetic rubber cement

Anyone any ideas on this

cheers
Andrew

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Type of glue ?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 08:37:38 pm »

What kit is this ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 12:58:16 am »

Dear Sir.Why not google it? I did It will answer your question Thanks John

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Prophet

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 09:04:46 am »

Try theses glues when making a plastic kit. EMA Plastic Weld good for all plastic parts, and some 5 Min's Epoxy for anything thing else or superglue itself.

you find with many kit you buy they always recommend buying a selection of glues made by them, incressing there profit , when yet its proably easier as well as cheaper to buy these products and they do the job the same if not in some cases BETTER!

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 09:45:14 am »

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8385777/anchors_8385777/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#8385777

Thanks Martin that helps

John S - yes I know it is possible to Google for answers to questions BUT if we did that ALL of the time, it would defeat one of the purposes of having a Forum such as Mayhem, where interraction and knowledge can be shared without having to wade through the masses of garbage that often comes up when using search engines.

On this occasion it came up as 57000 results found and in all honesty you are more likely to get a beneficial and relevant answer by asking other users on Mayhem, than any shop or other interested party might offer on the internet.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 09:49:06 am »

Best supeglue I have found for general use is is loctite super atak gel... its nice and easy to use and seems loo leave less frosty residue.

plastc cement I use at the moment is humbrol professional, altho when I get round to buying more Ill get Faller plastic glue as its the best I have found but hard to find locally here
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 09:50:56 am »

Thicker poly cement is best for large parts where you want to apply the glue before putting the parts together as well as possibly running a bead over the top of the joint as in say a boat hull joint.

The very thin watery stuff is basically the same solvent but without the thickeners.  The advantages are that you can use capilliary action to glue parts and apply the glue with a paint brush.  Such things as deck detail can be assembled then a spot of the glue at the joint will instantly be drawn into the joint and set without any evidence of the glue being left.  The disadvantage is that it dries very quickly so applying it to something like a hull joint would lead to the start of the joint drying out before you put the two parts together.

Both glues have very diferent uses and both are very handy to have around during the build of a plastic model.

I can only assume that synthetic rubber solution is just that.  A rubber type of glue along the lines of the old Copydex but synthetic rather than using a rubber based solution.  You could probably get away without that one but for such things as aircraft canopies polystyrene cements will affect the finish so a rubber solution would be ideal for that type of application.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 11:11:32 am »

Thicker poly cement is best for large parts where you want to apply the glue before putting the parts together as well as possibly running a bead over the top of the joint as in say a boat hull joint.

The very thin watery stuff is basically the same solvent but without the thickeners.  The advantages are that you can use capilliary action to glue parts and apply the glue with a paint brush.  Such things as deck detail can be assembled then a spot of the glue at the joint will instantly be drawn into the joint and set without any evidence of the glue being left.  The disadvantage is that it dries very quickly so applying it to something like a hull joint would lead to the start of the joint drying out before you put the two parts together.

Both glues have very diferent uses and both are very handy to have around during the build of a plastic model.

I can only assume that synthetic rubber solution is just that.  A rubber type of glue along the lines of the old Copydex but synthetic rather than using a rubber based solution.  You could probably get away without that one but for such things as aircraft canopies polystyrene cements will affect the finish so a rubber solution would be ideal for that type of application.

I always the UHU or Bostik contact adhesive for fitting the clear plastic parts ie glazing
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.