Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aquataur Skiff / A600  (Read 6813 times)

Glyn Cleaver

Aquataur Skiff / A600
« on: January 25, 2007, 05:17:03 pm »

Does anyone sail one of these Aquataur Skiffs please, I am thinking of buying one and would like to know more about it before spending my hard earned cash. Any hints or tips will be appreciated.
Thanks
Glyn ;D

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Aquataur Skiff / A600
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 06:49:17 pm »

Hi Glyn

I have a review that appeared in one of the mags, if you want a scan let me know

Richard

bobdoc

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 11:30:36 pm »

Watch out - the ads give a price for the basic boat - the bits that make it work are actually extra: see http://www.aquataurmodels.com/index.html

I discussed this with the editor of Model Boats magazine by phone when I responded to the ad in the magazine: i.e sucking in interested potential customers at the lower price yet the full "working a s described on the tin" much more. He was supportive but little he could do about it - analogous to a quote for a kit then additional costs for the fittings and running gear.

Despite that, I remain attracted: oh for a rich aunt!

Bob

Telstar

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 11:40:20 am »

Hi
The A600 kit is all working parts, and needs paint, glue and radio equipment to complete. There again how many kits are there available that supply your choice of colors and radio control with the kit. I believe the A600 ( the smaller boat) is a quite sailable boat, but the larger Skill is a bit of a handful in anything more than fairly light wind. But as anyone that has sailed 1:1 dingies performance boats (like the Fireball I used to sail) needs a lot of handling on windy days.
I will let you know what the A600 is like to sail, when I get it assembled, and painted, I got one off E-bay yesterday.

Cheers Tom

Glyn Cleaver

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 01:56:41 pm »

Thanks Tom, I will look forward to your apraisal of its sailing prowes?
Cheers Glyn   ;D

Telstar

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 10:48:36 am »

Hi Glyn
Assembled the Skiff from the kit with no difficulties, it has instructions (with photos ). I build it strictly as per kit but there are a couple of things I will change (these can be done retrospectively and I wanted to stay true to the supplied parts first).
First time on the water the wind was kind (not too much) but I still learned how to right the boat after capsize (I had the wrong actions on the wrong joysticks, and kept trying to steer the boat with the “crew”).
Someone in the club (Peterborough Area Model Boat Club) took photos which I found later on the club website. (see attached)
2nd outing with controls corrected (for my configuration) and a slightly windier day was fun the model is forgiving enough to give an old guy like me time to react to the wind, but if you get it wrong over you go. After about 20 min sailing a fellow club member remarked that I looked as if I was enjoying myself (isn't that what it's all about). You can't put down the transmitter for a moment while you get a drink, or you will capsize. I am looking forward to the next outing

Cheers
Tom

Fair wind and calm water

romainpek

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 08:55:12 am »

So the boat can actually righten itself after capsizing ?

Looks fun !

Telstar

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 04:57:58 pm »

Looks fun !
A little practice and righting it is easy. I'm enjoying sailing it each time is a different challenge.
To get the sail out of the water you need to give the man a ducking, he's buoyant and lifts the boat to the point of self righting

explorer750

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 08:00:37 pm »

Looks like it a laser pico with the blue sail. O0

explorer750

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 07:24:51 pm »

Looks fun !
you
Have a look at the aquataur website in the corner it shows the boat capsizing then righting again. However you need quicktime to view it.

http://www.aquataurmodels.com/pages/videoclip.html

Video 1 is just a straight line run.

Video 2 is the boat performing a tack.

Video 3 is the boat performing a jib and shows how it balences

All 3 above videos are of the red prototype skiff style boat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.