Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Winch or arm?  (Read 3419 times)

g4yvm

Winch or arm?
« on: August 28, 2010, 02:53:10 pm »

Ive taken the plunge into the shallow end and bought a TT Odyssey yacht. The instructions say to use a sail servo with a sail arm, but I have already got a Hitech sail winch.  Am I okay using a sail winch (which I have never used before...my RC planes don't, on the whole, use winches!) or does it have to be an arm?  I have always thought of an arm as a "poor mans winch", but now I'm not so sure!

David

Prophet

Re: Winch or arm?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 03:33:33 pm »

winch will be fine to use, just remember they will pull a lot harder and further then a servo arm so give yourself some extra length on the line to pull in.

there are all sorts of debates about whats best in a yacht winches over arms, both have there good and bad points it comes down to a matter of preference. only draw back to a winch i have found is there ability to 'birdy' with the line if its to slack so you should alter your TX to remove the return spring and let the throttle stay where you place it to keep the tension in the line, this dose not occur with an arm.

g4yvm

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 03:42:24 pm »

Thanks for that info.  My Tx already has a "set n stop" style throttle , sorry, main sheet, stick.

I'll try the winch then as I already have it. 

Ta

D

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 03:43:57 pm »

Don't know anything about the TT Odyssey, but the Hitec drum winch is a hefty lump so space may be a problem. To avoid 'nesting' set the sheeting line as an endless loop from drum back to drum with a small spring or fishing elastic where the two ends attach to maintain tension in the system. I'm pretty sure there are discussions elsewhere about best routing for sail sheets etc

Mike

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 03:48:47 pm »

As Mike said, you need to make a tensioner to prevent the line from going slack and hopping off the drum. Tensioner can be a rubber band with a plastic ring.
However, because the Odyssey is relatively small (630mm) you may have problems fitting it. Also a drum winch (with drum fitted) is taller than an arm winch. And so you need to make sure it will fit.

Don't however think an arm winch is a poor man's option. A sail arm winch can cost you more than a basic drum winch, and be much faster.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

g4yvm

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 05:29:38 pm »

Thanks guys. Indeed the sail winch IS a lump and required some butchery of the radio tray.  Since  I had got a spare 9001 servo knocking about so I changed my mind and Ive fitted that instead and will keep the winch for another boat...the Kyosho Fairwind maybe, or a marblehead, or maybe just pop it back in the drawer for another three years!

The servo with arm fits the radio tray a treat.

The TT Odyssey by the way is an 89 quid yacht, ABS hull, ally mast, usual stuff I am sure.

D

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 09:23:57 am »

Sounds the best option D, as to possible future plans for the Hitec, if you should decide to go the Marblehead route make sure there are suitable sailing waters around you. The modern Marblehead has a very long fin which make most lakes unsuitable. How about a 1 metre that's the most popular design in the uk.
Anyway one step at a time  O0 get the Odyssey on the water, enjoy and join the wind driven disciples  :-))

Mike

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 11:31:38 am »

Hi, there is a sort of in between choice not yet mentioned.  That is the single turn drum winch.  GWS 125 is a standard size servo weighs 50 grm with a 50 mm dia. winch drum.
 It gives about 5 inches of line travel, so in effect it acts like an arm winch just needs some small tension or wire guides to keep the line around the drum.  I think it was about £15 or so.

Hope this helps,
regards Roy

g4yvm

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 12:25:50 pm »

Thanks all
Ref the Marblehead draft, yes I understood that to be an issue. I think I have discounted that class on air draft alone... I cannot transport or store one.

The metre class does rather fit the bill

This Odyssey sails okay but she is very light and is blown flat by quite gentle gusts. In steady wind she's fun, but in a gust she's flattened and turned beam on to the gust.

She is also shipping wTer when she goes flat though I haven't managed to work out where from

Onwards and upwards!

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.