Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reading Buttock Line plans  (Read 1633 times)

sailorboy61

Reading Buttock Line plans
« on: August 29, 2010, 11:15:55 am »

Hi All,

Many years ago I collected some plans for a ship I had sailed on (after she was scrapped!), with a view to one day building a model of her.
That time has possible now come but as a fairly newbie to building, I would appreciate some advice. I have a set of buttock lines for the ship, which by the magic of computer/scanner I can rescale fairly easily, and whilst I understand the basics of what I am looking at, there is one part I don't, and that is with regard to the spacing of the frames. On modern plans I have looked at, there are usually sections at specified frame numbers. On my buttock plan it is marked in 'sections' 0 - 10, some half sections and obviously A-E aft of the rudder stock.
My question then, is it simply a matter of dividing length by number of sections to get positioning?

I actually have a cunning plan to use a modified Clan Ross hull from Models by Design, which is fairly similar, from the same era but slightly out in dimensions, so a build might be "easier" in the long run!

The ship is one of four built for NZSC (P&O) on the Clyde/Tyne, Taupo and sisters or Westmoreland.
Any other info anyone has would of course be welcome.

Thanks.

Little Rascal

Re: Reading Buttock Line plans
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 07:56:32 pm »

Do you mean a body plan?

The buttock lines are found on a sheer plan (side view).
If you have sections (slices through the hull sideways) then you have a body plan (front/back view).

On a normal lines plan it is common practice to space sections by dividing the designed Load Water Line (LWL) equally to make displacement calculations easier. This would be tenths in this case. Forward and aft of that the sections would be spaced at the discretion of the designer. If you can get the lwl from specifications then you'll be away.

The exception to this might be a construction plan showing frames which may well be spaced differently.

It's going to be difficult to get an accurate shape without a sheer plan and a waterlines plan (plan view) but if you have a drawing board you can construct the other two views from what you have and 'fair' up the curves to guess at the other station positions.

All the best

Jon  :-)

sailorboy61

Re: Reading Buttock Line plans
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 08:26:50 pm »

Thanks Jon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 19 queries.