Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Swiching between 2 servos using a spare TX channel  (Read 6067 times)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Swiching between 2 servos using a spare TX channel
« on: August 30, 2010, 02:25:20 pm »

Im in the planning feasability stage of building a Deans DKUW and I would like to make it work on both land and water.

The TX im using is a 6 Channel with a landing gear switch on ch 5

what I would like to do is make the vehicle run in land mode (steering servo, Gear shift (3 speed transmission from a tamiya tractor truck), and drive motorESC) when the gear swich is in position 1 and water mode (Rudder servo and separate prop ESC) when its switched to Position 2

Each speed controller would would have its own drive battery

I understand it could be done with relays and microswitches but I was curious if there is there a device on the market that will allow for switching between servos in this way

Links to DIY builds would also be appreciated
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Swiching between 2 servos using a spare TX channel
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 02:30:48 pm »

Here's how i'd do it

I would be tempted to 3 receivers and 3 radio switches from action or robbe, operating on a BEC, say from mtroniks viper esc's with a radio microswitch from the master esc on-off switchon the battery side of each one.  so when in up, the the master RX would be told to power up the land drive, when you hit the water flick the switch down to turn off the road drive and break the electrical connection between the esc and wheels, this is to prevent a dynamo action potentially damaging the esc.  it would also through the other switch power up the wet drive

another (much cheaper) option would be to have two esc's and a switch, the two esc's would share a common negative, and the radio switch would divert power to either the road transmission esc or the maritime drive esc.  the switches have a 3 pin block and the metal reed flicks betweem 1+2 and 2+3, so...
in pin 2 you have you red wire from the battery,
in pin 1 is the wire to the road esc,
in pin 3 is the wire to the maritime drive esc

in the down position, the switch would be joining 1+2, so 3 would be dead
in the up position shw switch would be joining 2+3, so 1 would be dead.  

for unsurance you could put a second relay between the esc for the wheels motor, and the wheels motor, this is to prevent any possible damage from a dynamo action frying your esc, and esc's dont take kindly to power coming in from the motor end.  
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 03:53:36 pm »

If all you really need to do is use the Gear switch to transfer the control of the "throttle" stick from one ESC to another then our resident forum techno-dude PMK has a little gizmo called a Channel Hopper which will do just that. In fact he has one which will switch over two separate channels i.e. you could switch the steering over, too. No need for three of anything or the attendant spaghetti wiring loom.
FLJ

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 04:54:17 pm »

PMK,  tell us more, please.   Pete M
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 05:25:33 pm »

If all you really need to do is use the Gear switch to transfer the control of the "throttle" stick from one ESC to another then our resident forum techno-dude PMK has a little gizmo called a Channel Hopper which will do just that. In fact he has one which will switch over two separate channels i.e. you could switch the steering over, too. No need for three of anything or the attendant spaghetti wiring loom.
FLJ

Thats exactly what I need :)

PMK more infor please!
:D:D:D:D

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 06:07:42 pm »

I think that this is what FLJ is referring to - unless PMK has got something else up his sleeve ;)

Barrie

http://www.pm.keirle.com/1_gadgets/channel_extender/channel_extender.htm

787Eng

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 06:11:39 pm »

Is you radio programable and have programable mix's?
if it has, it's very easy to do with your radio TX....

Mark

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 06:22:38 pm »

PMK,  an excellent well-written and easily understood article.   Have already got my soldering iron warming up.  Many thanks,  Pete M

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 06:25:17 pm »

I think that this is what FLJ is referring to - unless PMK has got something else up his sleeve ;)
This is very much Pete's MK1. The more recent one uses a single PIC16F628 microprocessor and fits neatly inside the same case as our P43 switcher. When he feels a bit more in touch with the world after his medical 'malarkey' then we might progress this into a new ACTion unit. Meanwhile you'll have to implore him via PMs!
FLJ

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 06:50:42 pm »

So I could in theory build two of these and the non proportional inputs for each unit could both be connected to the same port (the laning gear switch in my case) on the RX using a Servo Y lead

If thats the case then my problem is solved.

Looks like im shopping at maplins lol.

PMK

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 07:28:13 pm »

Pete M: Has anyone ever told you that you're a real smoothie? Top thanks for the neat comments. Flattery will get you everywhere.

So I could in theory build two of these and the non proportional inputs for each unit could both be connected to the same port (the landing gear switch in my case) on the RX using a Servo Y lead.

As Dave has already stated, the Mk2 PIC-based version will control up to two separate channels via your landing gear switch - which in theory would save you the trouble of building 2x Mk1 versions... if that makes sense. I can post the full build-it-yourself details but you will need the means of stuffing the PIC microcontroller with the relevant HEX code... or just ask and I'll supply the pre-programmed chip.
Although, what with one thing and another and everything going belly-up recently, I would ask that you give me a bit of time until I'm more in touch with the real world again.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 08:34:33 pm »

Absolutely perfect!

If you could post or PM the stripboard plans that would be great

Theres no rush.... its still in the planning stage so get yourself better first

And thanks for all the help guys!

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 08:41:36 am »

PMK,  That`s 80 years of experience.   Not into PIC`s but it looks good.   Pete M

PMK

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 10:37:20 am »

As Mr 787Eng has already said, you can pretty much do all that you want to do if your radio has programmable mixes.
Else, here's the words & music for the Mk2 homebrew version:

http://www.pm.keirle.com/1_gadgets/channel_hopper/channel_hopper.htm

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2010, 01:31:59 pm »

Thats brilliant thanks

I dont have the facilities to Program the PIC tho :(

PMK

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 05:46:32 pm »

The blank PICs themselves cost somewhere around a tad over £2.00 each. The code is free.
Your call?

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 06:16:35 pm »

hello there PMK  :-)) how ya doing me owld marra, hope all is well.

Hows about giving me a price for you to put a kit together of the components and a pre-programmed PIC chip; okay; and then we will discuss some business here eh...I wouldnt mind having a bit play around with one of these gadgets.   I have another idea which ----- combination of a couple of these linked together with another module --- could make some interesting stuff.

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 06:43:31 pm »

hello there PMK  :-)) how ya doing me owld marra, hope all is well.

Hows about giving me a price for you to put a kit together of the components and a pre-programmed PIC chip; okay; and then we will discuss some business here eh...I wouldnt mind having a bit play around with one of these gadgets.   I have another idea which ----- combination of a couple of these linked together with another module --- could make some interesting stuff.

aye
john

If you put a kit together Ill take one too :)

colin-d

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 07:04:24 pm »

count me in on that one as well... kit .. kit... yes please

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 08:05:42 pm »

Hi PMK, great to see some electronics.
Do you do a servo stretcher circuit? i.e to increase the servo to travel?

I know I would have to cut some tags in the servo if necessary but for small yachts a servo can make a good arm winch.

I already use one of the Action servo slowers and that does a good job of slowing an arm winch that would otherwise whip round too fast.
I have done very little electronics since working with a friend to make the water level control circuits for a boiler, back 20 years ago now.
Very much enjoy new ideas and I had never heard of a channel hopper before.
regards to all, Roy

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 08:14:32 pm »

hii there roycv

if you recheck ACTion's website I am sure they do a servo morpher or something like that  %%  cant tell you what the P number is but that increases the throw of a standard servo when wired in with it.

it also can be used to slow the servo down;  if you want to start and modify a standard servo, to increase the throw, you must hack into the variable resistance which is linked into the gearing and you insert two resistors to increase the resistance of the pot..   If you do a Google search on this subject, you will find there is lots of information on how to modify servos.   I think if you just type in Modifying Servo it comesup - food for thought my mate.
this may help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpO7XMXGzfw&feature=related
aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Prophet

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 08:17:43 pm »

P96 SERVOMORPH  that's the one your on about Bluebird  :-))

PMK

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 08:22:00 pm »

When you say kit, do you mean it should include everything from the Veroboard to the ABS box also?
The reason for asking is because it takes a surprising amount of time to file/trim the Vero in order for it to fit inside the box. It's dead easy to do but you'd be surprised how long it takes to file a bit of Vero. Would a kit of parts mean that the Vero has to come pre-trimmed, or are you okay with trimming it to size yourselves? If it has to come pre-trimmed, then that means that I'd probably have to charge a bit extra for the labour, blah And I'm useless with that side of things - I wouldn't have a clue of how much to ask.
Any ideas?
The rest of the components are just easily-available plain-jane stuff. For instance, you'd need at least three servo extension leads, or maybe even separate male/female servo plugs/sockets. Then another few shillings for the crystal. Then there's the ABS box itself (I get mine from Dave at ACTion). Basically, if you were to purchase all the needful yourself, the whole caboodle should cost no more than a couple of pints plus the cost of postage for the pre-programmed chip.
As you may have sussed already, I don't possess the necessary brains to be a successful business contender to Alan Sugar, so I don't have a clue of how much to charge for a kit of parts. I leave all the clever stuff like that to folk like FLJ.

To answer Roycv's question: No, I don't - sorry.
Take a look here: http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/mixers.php , then scroll down to "P96"     

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 06:07:05 am »

Untrimmed veroboard is fine for me also the box is optional as sods law says the box will be the wrong size to fit where I want to use it lol

colin-d

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2010, 09:14:46 am »

i don't need the box either... the board i can do my self, so long as there is instruction, like on the website mentioned..

The Kit just to include all the parts (electronic) and a piece of board large enough to place the parts, plus a print out of the website, and probably the servo cables, but the cables are not a must...

the price you say the chip is about 2 pounds the rest of the components are really pennies, so i think a tenner would be reasonable..!!  :kiss:

what do you say  :-))
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.