Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Models of Oliver Lee  (Read 23938 times)

Little Rascal

Models of Oliver Lee
« on: September 02, 2010, 11:24:08 am »

Hi all!

I was hoping someone on the forum might be able to tell me about Model Yacht designs by Oliver Lee?
He was a full scale yacht designer too - I own one of his 19 foot Hunter Europa class, she's beautifully balanced and fast - just what you would expect from a model designer!

I've been trying to find out more about his model designs - apparently he made kits at one point and also raced radio yachts in the 80's.

Sadly he died in 1994.

I'd be glad if anyone could help me with information on his model designs or any stories from those who knew him or sailed his models?

Thanks in advance,

Jon - Little Rascal

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
Re: Models of Oliver Lee
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 12:04:39 pm »

Hi Jon, I remember Oliver Lee was thought to be a leader in the Marblehead class of yachts at that time with his 'Trapper' design of which there were new updated designs, if I remember correctly up to around a Trapper Mk4. He also designed a restricted class yacht a little larger than the Marblehead and of a similar hull shape. A few in my old club, including myself, owned one one of these but the design name escapes me. Apart from a small fleet at the Chelmsford MYC and ours (Three Rivers MYC) the design never took off and faded away. I think this was possibly the last model he designed before his death Hopefully there may be forum members from the Chelmsford Club who can supply you with more info.

regards

Mike

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 12:17:08 pm »

As a postnote to the above, you may be able to get more information from Graham Bantock, owner of Sails Etc   www.sailsetc.com/ who is also a yacht designer and (is/was ?) a member of Chelmsford MYC and may well have known more about Oliver Lee

Mike

hmsantrim

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 07:54:00 pm »

Hi. Jon - Little Rascal.
                          I seen to remember he had I think it was a 36r design callled the pronto @ in the 1980`s you would probably find it advertised in the boat mags of that time.

cheers Frank

Little Rascal

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 01:26:17 pm »

Thanks very much guys!

That's given me somewhere to start looking. Very little on google (other than his full scale yachts), I suppose because he was around pre-interweb.

If anyone has any pics of OL nmodels I'd would be very intersted.

Thanks
Jon

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 05:40:53 pm »

Hi jon, just had a quick Google for Oliver's model yachts without much success. This is an item on another forum which discusses the Hunter and only a fleeting mention of the models. It also has some links contained which may be interesting, but I didn't follow them
Oops nearly forgot to attach the link !
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221774

Mike

Little Rascal

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 03:28:12 pm »

Hi MikeK,

Thanks for the link - that's actually the forum where the question came up originally as it happens!  %)

Many thanks

Jon

bobtheboatbuilder

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 06:41:52 pm »

Hello Jon
I knew Oliver, raced at CRYC and up until a couple of weeks back owned two of his mid 80's marbleheads, I spent hours with him in his workshop in Burnham on Crouch while my boats were being born, if you would like photos of the boats, let me have your email and I'll bang a few off to you, do you know, I don't recall them ever have a "type/model" name just simply oliver lee marblehead, he was way ahead of his time then and everybody knew him, he produced the F1 of the model yacht world in my opinion.
It was whilst doing some of my own enquiring research into Oliver that I came accross your interest. I was looking for something that he, Oliver, once designed and produced in small numbers................a fascinating mini half tonner or one tonner, may even have been a Dragon I think, I can't remember, also can't recall if it was keel or centreplate but, the helm would lie down in the hull and operate the rudder with their feet whilst operating the sheets in the same way as a full size boat...........brilliant and I want one if anybody has any idea of one available.
Anyway, let me know if you want some Pics
Chris

CJ1

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 06:46:34 pm »

Hello Jon
I knew Oliver, raced at CRYC and up until a couple of weeks back owned two of his mid 80's marbleheads, I spent hours with him in his workshop in Burnham on Crouch while my boats were being born, if you would like photos of the boats, let me have your email and I'll bang a few off to you, do you know, I don't recall them ever have a "type/model" name just simply oliver lee marblehead, he was way ahead of his time then and everybody knew him, he produced the F1 of the model yacht world in my opinion.
It was whilst doing some of my own enquiring research into Oliver that I came accross your interest. I was looking for something that he, Oliver, once designed and produced in small numbers................a fascinating mini half tonner or one tonner, may even have been a Dragon I think, I can't remember, also can't recall if it was keel or centreplate but, the helm would lie down in the hull and operate the rudder with their feet whilst operating the sheets in the same way as a full size boat...........brilliant and I want one if anybody has any idea of one available.
Anyway, let me know if you want some Pics
Chris

Is this what you meant, the Illusion Mini 12 metre?
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/16326
Chris

tony23

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 10:02:11 pm »

Aaaah! I see one of those on the back of a trailer a few months back and I think other members on here thought I was mad http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=26194.0;topicseen I knew the yacht could fit a person in it thanks for the pictures I'm going to do some more inverstigation on one.  :-))

bobtheboatbuilder

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 09:31:19 am »

Brilliant, thank you, that's it........now, I always thought that looked great fun and seeing a gentlemen of around my years with a big grin on his face confirms I just must have one, any for sale?

bobtheboatbuilder

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 02:33:18 pm »

I was hoping someone on the forum might be able to tell me about Model Yacht designs by Oliver Lee?
He was a full scale yacht designer too - I own one of his 19 foot Hunter Europa class, she's beautifully balanced and fast - just what you would expect from a model designer!

I have plenty more photos if anyone is interested, let me know
Chris
Aka bobtheboatbuilder

Little Rascal

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 03:38:12 pm »

Hi Bob

Thanks for the pics - much appreciated.

Jon

mikejohncarr

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 11:25:34 am »

Now the proud owners (with son Peter) of the two Marblehead models in Bobthebuilder's photos. Apart from the great fun we're having with them, I would love to know more about the construction of the hulls. Also the open 'cockpit' - I've just filled the second one with 144 ping-pong balls, whilst trying to build some 'cockpit' covers. (Anyone confirm my calculation that 144 will provide 4.8Kg buoyancy?, p-p ball diam. 2cm)
Racing (match racing?) on Earlswood lake - keeping out of the way of the Sailing Club - was interrupted when the lakes froze over, just thawed out last weekend.

Little Rascal

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 11:41:53 am »

Volume of a sphere = 4/3 * pi * radius ^ 3
I make it 603 grams?
Minus the weight of the balls of course...

I think you may have the diameter cubed - instead of the radius cubed?

Jon

EDIT - just realised you mean the radius is 2cm - in which case 4.8kg is right!

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 08:01:15 pm »

one for sale on e/bay item no2207739932187 1.5 mtr ex chelmsford club been in storage for 28yrs looks lovely slug

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 08:54:32 am »

one for sale on e/bay item no2207739932187 1.5 mtr ex chelmsford club been in storage for 28yrs looks lovely slug

That is the one design that I could not remember the name of. Great boat to sail

Mike

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2011, 08:18:05 am »

still on e/bay rather large still seems a bargain maybe a bit of history   slug

Vanquish

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2011, 04:57:05 pm »

I found this forum whilst trying to research this model. I am now the owner of the one that was for sale on eBay.
As the advert stated it came with a load of paper work. Plans and price list of the model plus a list of all the first 50 owners and boat numbers,
The boat I have bought was number 12 from the original owner and it even has the original rudder servo in.
The paperwork also included loads of other interesting infomation like the one point five class association committe meetings etc.
I am just about to build a cradle for it so I can begin to get new electrics in etc.
Will add some photos later

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 09:03:56 am »

Hi Vanquish and welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will get a great deal of pleasure with your 1.5m. As I mentioned I had one when they first came out, along with half a dozen or so of fellow members of Three Rivers MYC. We were sponsored by Blaupunkt via our chairman at that time (The late Stan Cleal - a lovely man ) so they were all identically done up in yellow with the Blaupunkt logo down the sides. As far as I know only we and the Chelmsford club went in for this design in any sort of numbers, as nobody seemed to like the idea of a restricted class.
I think most of our models ended up in the West Indies of all places through one of the members (Sam Hodges) returning to his home in St Lucia (?) and with the idea of getting interest in the hobby out there, bought them and shipped them out with his belongings. He had plans to start and inter - island race with them, following them in a launch. Never did hear if he was successful !

Regards and happy sailing

Mike

ps I guess that our club boats will be on that list you have ?

Vanquish

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 08:05:01 am »

Thought i would get some photos on now i have got the cradle made.
Lucky for the me weather was good outside for a quick rig up for the camera ( Sails and mast wrong way round) to see how large it is,Wow very impressive. I gave the deck abit of a clean up too after the photos were taken and everything looks Ship shape.....Lol
Radio gear ordered so hopefully time permitting i will get on with it next week.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 01:42:16 pm »

Looking good already ! Looking forward to seeing/reading how she performs (with the mast the other way round of course  ok2 ) Imagine a dozen or so of them charging down onto a narrow starting line !

Mike

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2011, 10:09:37 pm »

vanquish you are very lucky our lake is not deep enough she looks the part looking forward to seeing more hope she sails as well as she looks     slug

knoby

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 11:44:46 pm »

I have just acquired 1 of these wonderful yachts this weekend. The previous owner told me he thought it was an Oliver Lee design, but wasn't sure. Checking out the pictures I am pretty sure its the same as vanquish's boat. Popped down the lake for a quick sail sunday, ended up staying for 7 hours !!! it sails beautifully.
i will try & get some pics on soon, but its too tall to rig indoors. Hopefully going for another go tomorrow night, will try to remember the camera.

cheers Glenn

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 08:56:52 am »

Lucky man Glenn, looking forward to seeing some pics, it's a long time since I saw one on the water

Mike
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.