Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How things change....  (Read 5105 times)

retrotug

How things change....
« on: September 03, 2010, 09:56:24 am »

Since coming on board a month back, I've been back in the UK for a short time, and I managed to find the chap I sold all my model boating stuff to some years back.  Amongst all the stuff was a model of Fairplay V, a Hamburg tug, kit was made by Heki (I believe). I bought it back from him, and brought it back home to Cyprus, with the intention of doing a refurbishment, as an introduction for myself back into modelling. The kit has a single steerable Kort nozzle, but on researching photo's on t'internet, I find that she now sports twin Korts about halfway along the hull, with what appears to be a fixed rudder at the stern.  See http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/ShipPhotos/188180-Fairplay-V-8306668.html  for a picture of her drydocked. I wonder if she was always configured this way, and Heki just did a single Kort as a matter of simplicity.  How difficult would it be to convert the kit, and would it be worth doing? Any ideas, shipmates?

Prophet

Re: How things change....
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 11:27:31 am »

depends on why the ship was converted in the first place, try to find that info if you can, it might help your decision

its up to you its your model for me personally i wouldn't fit it as the photo suggests not that i don't like its new look but for storage and transport purposes, those Kort's now stick so far below the hull  that i would be worried about bashing them about. how ever you pick to refurbish your model be sure to post some pics  :-))

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 01:34:18 pm »

The picture show two azipods or maybe Schottel drives, not Korts. Full 360 degree movement, a very different kettle of fish. The massive non-moving rudder is to make the vessl track straight when going ahead  as a result of the position of the pods. The pods are near midships for exceptional manueverability the system provides .   I dont know if the ship was built that way. Might be a good question for the Tuggers.
..well can you land on this?

retrotug

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 01:54:21 pm »

I stand corrected, I used Korts as a generic (like Hoover) in ignorance of other types. Thanks for the correction.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 02:09:19 pm »

No Problem, you have a PM (personal message)

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 05:57:11 pm »

Fairplay IV, V, VI, and VII are all listed as Tractor Tugs.

http://www.fairplay-towage.com/schottel-tractor-tugs.html

The arrangement you show pictured is typical of "tractor" tugs, so I would
guess that the boat was originally built in this configuration, and that the model
was made using a single drive to economize on cost and engineering.

:-)

However, to be honest, FAIRPLAY XV would not have struck me as being tractor tugs.

retrotug

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 06:28:23 pm »

Thanks for that Umi, I think I'll not start hacking it about.   Arrow5, on the Fairplay Towing website they describe the propulsion as 2 x Schottel Rudder Propeller SRP 503/505 in Kort Nozzles, so we're both right?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 09:38:15 pm »

Yep that is right ...........you have a PM

Channel

• Full Mayhemer
    • Channel Images
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 05:22:30 pm »

Since coming on board a month back, I've been back in the UK for a short time, and I managed to find the chap I sold all my model boating stuff to some years back.  Amongst all the stuff was a model of Fairplay V, a Hamburg tug, kit was made by Heki (I believe). I bought it back from him, and brought it back home to Cyprus, with the intention of doing a refurbishment, as an introduction for myself back into modelling. The kit has a single steerable Kort nozzle, but on researching photo's on t'internet, I find that she now sports twin Korts about halfway along the hull, with what appears to be a fixed rudder at the stern.  See http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/ShipPhotos/188180-Fairplay-V-8306668.html  for a picture of her drydocked. I wonder if she was always configured this way, and Heki just did a single Kort as a matter of simplicity.  How difficult would it be to convert the kit, and would it be worth doing? Any ideas, shipmates?

More than likely a previous Fairplay V you have a model of . . The previous one was single screw and the 'new/current' version is a Tractor.
Follow my blog - www.channelimages.com

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 07:59:49 pm »

I would hope that there was a little ship recognition ability at work here...

O0

retrotug

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 06:22:43 am »

So the kit is a representation, rather than a scale model. That puts things into perspective (no pun intended). Nice pictures Umi, just like mine, but more detailed.

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 09:40:46 am »

I believe "Channel" called it... :-))

You have a scale model, but it is a model of the older (retired) Fairplay V.

It has since been replaced with the one shown on their website.
The model pictures I posted are from a website that was diplaying several
model tug boat examples.  It's not mine.  ok2

retrotug

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 09:56:50 am »

Now what a daft idea is that? fancy calling a vessel by the same name as an earlier one. They could at least called it a Fairplay V MkII or something :D

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 10:13:36 am »

It gets worse in the Royal Navy when it comes to naming ships. Check and see how many HMS Ark Royals, or Invincibles  there has been .

Channel

• Full Mayhemer
    • Channel Images
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 09:41:04 pm »

I work at one of the UK's major ports and a lot of my time is spent checking ship details. Not easy at times expecially when ships get renamed for charters etc!  :police:
Follow my blog - www.channelimages.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 23 queries.