Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help!  (Read 1522 times)

hama

Help!
« on: September 01, 2010, 07:33:26 pm »

I need help! I'm building a Billings Smit London, wooden hull that I put epoxy on. I finally got to paint her and used acrylic spraypaint. It was hot and sunny the days I painted her and everything seemed to be in order. My problem now is that the paint hasn't cured. Still after a month I can put a nail in the paint and it leaves a mark, the mark dissapears later. I tried to put her out in the sun to see if the heat would make a difference but then there came small bubbles in the paint at two spots so I rushed in again. It seems to me as the underlaying coats never cured enough even though it seemed so to me, I could sand it lightly between paints. Will this cure over time or is it wasted? IF I have to remove all this paint and start over, how do I do that? What solvent can be used to remove paint that doesn't damage the epoxy?
Hope someone can help me, feel a little bit sad right now. The boat rests up&down in the basement until further notice.
All the best.
Hama.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 08:07:08 pm »

Mama,
Wet and dry and lots of effort.
This with lots of sheets will have her back.
Then it is time to see what has gone wrong to the base coat.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

hama

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 11:34:56 am »

Well, thats the answer I was afraid of. Think I'll just let her be for awhile to gather some courage and energy. It's a pity because she looks so fine.
Thanks for your input.
Hama.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 05:15:57 pm »

Hama

Since the paint is not setting and you have to remove it. May I make a suggestion . Since she is in her final or all most final colour depending on what time you are modelling. Try spraying very very thin coats a lacquer and building up the coats. Make sure they dry before each new coat. If this fails you have nothing to lose as the paint would have had to come off.

John 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.972 seconds with 22 queries.