Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 7.1 earthquake Christchurch New Zealand  (Read 1910 times)

AndrewB

7.1 earthquake Christchurch New Zealand
« on: September 03, 2010, 11:25:19 pm »

Not looking to good, wide spread damage.

poddy

Re: 7.1 earthquake Christchurch New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 11:33:20 pm »

oh dear. I have a niece there

karls

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 11:48:21 pm »

This is very bad news im just so glad no one was killed. just got this off sky news
karl

hopeitfloats

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 02:49:13 am »

i live 80km south and it had my house rocking but no damage surprisingly.

matphoto

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 08:57:43 am »

This is really bad guys and gals, please all stay safe........

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 10:32:14 am »

My dad lives in Christchurch and although they are both safe his collection of classic British motor bikes and cars have taken a lot of damage. His neighbours house had the chimney fall into the living room and the road outside their house has some rather large cracks in it. My dad thinks it will take months to go through all this stuff to check for damage and even longer to get any money out of the insurers...

Luckily so far there are no fatalities, but several people have been injured. My dad is furious with how the local authorities have been handling the situation.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 05:25:57 pm »

I only hope that this earthquake doesn't shake up any of the regions volcanoes, that could be catastrophic. Fingers crossed. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 11:55:56 pm »

The volcanoes are in the north island, whereas Christchurch is in the south island, but New Zealand is not called the shaky isles for nothing, and the shocks were felt from Invercargill in the south, to Nelson in the north. The 7.1 magnitude is the same as the quake that hit Haiti in January, killing 230,000 people.

That said, however, this is the worst quake to hit NZ since the 1931 Napier earthquake, and it's a miracle no one was killed, although Christchurch hospital reported one death from heart attack, brought on by the quake.

My brother-in-law, who is a Kiwi and was camped alongside us for the last 3 nights (we are in Hervey Bay in our caravan) rang his father, who lives in Christchurch, yesterday. Fortunately the old (94) chap is OK, but a wall in his back yard collapsed on to the next door neighbour's house. A lot of damage has occurred in the Christchurch CBD, and power and water have been cut off to a large part of the affected areas.

Peter.

hopeitfloats

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 10:23:27 am »

latest stats say up to 100,000 buildings damaged or destroyed. a family member of mine sold their house a few months ago and when they went back to look at it after the quake  it was destroyed.  it was bought from them as a holiday home for an asian couple so they will be in for an unpleasant surprise.  another relative had their house condemned as being in an unliveable condition. yet another relative had no damage at all to his or neighbours houses yet around the corner on another street most houses were damaged. very random in the suburbs.

hopeitfloats

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 05:34:02 am »

i went to christchurch today to resupply from the model shop and there was a strong aftershock. what a mess  it caused. kitsets and stuff was falling from the shelves. almost got clobbered by a falling slotcar set and the shelves were rockng. went outside and there was more damage to a few shops as well as a light pole leaning at a strange angle. got out of there quick. good to be home again. apparently there have been 3600 aftershocks but this one was centralised in the city so damage was mainly in that area.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.