Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: My Loyal build  (Read 24474 times)

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
My Loyal build
« on: September 04, 2010, 09:20:44 pm »

Hello folks, have finally got round to finishing my first model, a Loyal class from Model Slipway and a lovely kit it was too with excellent instructions (which I needed! {-)) and really helpful advice from Lawrie on the odd occasion that I was a little unsure.
         Have taken a good number of photos but mainly from when the build was well underway, hadn't got the confidence beforehand, will post them on here if I can get this trial posting right with three basic one's for starters - (computing and electronics are certainly not my strong points  {:-{)

In any event, a sincere thank you to all that has helped me along the way and especially to those of you who had taken the trouble to reply to my postings /p.m.'s with helpful advice, tips
 and opinion, far too many to mention you all, but THANK YOU.

Here goes to see if I can get this right,

The stand

And again

Plan 1

Plan 2

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
Re: My Loyal build
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 09:27:41 pm »

Well blow me - it worked! off to the pub to celebrate, will post some pics tomorrow.

Goodnight and regards to all from a chuffed Tony  :-)) :-)) :-))

matphoto

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 10:13:02 pm »

Well done Tony, looking forward to the rest of the pics, enjoy that drink.  :-))  :-))  :-))

I purchased the "Tamar" from Model Slipway at Birchwood last week-end, but have to sort out my workshop before I can start it.  :((

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 01:58:59 pm »

Some pics of the build, got a bit carried away with the camera me thinks this being my first, seemed to end up taking a snap every time I added a couple of bits, but anyway I'll post most of 'em (in time.) They're probably not in date order but they show a reasonable sequence of progression I think.

In the first pic I know there wasn't a boot topping in this position on the real vessels but did it because I fancied it and for the experience. It's turned out a bit wider than I initially intended ---- I cocked up marking the first tape line!  {:-{

A few parts sub assembled and painted ready for fitting

Think that'll do for now, would hate to bore you! ---- will post more later.
                                                                                                                                                        Regards to all, Tony.

sailorboy61

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 07:03:15 pm »

Looks really neat and tidy..... I have kind of decided on this kit for a first build myself..... I think they are fairly attractive vessels in their own way...probably due to having enjoyed their services to get ashore for many years. I quite fancied the idea of having one as a home, with the cargo hold converted to further accommodation. All very ship shape.

Good job, hope I can do as well......

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 07:16:23 pm »

Hello sailorboy, thank you for the kind words, live aboard on a real vessel - if only, often admired and probably envied those that have done it, can't think of a nicer abode.  We make do playing with our very small narrowboat at weekends etc., it's as near to seamanship as I'll probably ever get  {-)
        Apart from a holiday ferry trip to the Isle of Wight never been on a real working boat or ship, something I'd love to do before popping my clogs.

Anyway, thanks again, more pics will follow soon, good luck if you take up the build, it really is a nice looking boat and a great kit.

Regards, Tony  :-))

sailorboy61

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 07:22:27 pm »

Well I did it (lived aboard) for 30 years as a job.... so perhaps it would seem a bit more natural..... until it came to paying all the bills myself perhaps!!!    {:-{

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 07:54:17 pm »

For a first build that looks excellent. Well done. I really like your idea of putting the smaller items in the trays. Keeps them handy and perhaps more importantly stops them going missing.

Any pics of the superstructure available?

MSW make great kits. Im currently building an Envoy civvie tug. Should have done some more building today but decided to clean my wife's car instead  %%. Got to be done to keep the good lady happy for when I come to buy a 1\72 Type 21 from Fleetscale  :-))

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 08:07:39 pm »

tt1,
I am a little confused about which type you are building.
The gunwhales are buff (RMAS) but the superstructure is grey (RN and RNXS)

Bob
Officially a GOG.

karls

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 08:15:02 pm »

Hi Tony your build is looking really good nice one
atb karl

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 08:40:09 pm »

Hello Bob, please don't be confused - it really is my ignorance of build protocol, accuracy etc. etc. I really just fancied a change from grey - honestly! :embarrassed:
           Only just taken up modelling and being honest I really have no knowledge of seamanship, vessels etc. and don't think we could live any further from the sea!
I just love looking at boats and now I'm hooked on wanting to build models of them.  Never happier if I'm on holiday and can get into a harbour, but re my previous reply, never been lucky enough to get on or even close to the proper stuff.
           Oh dear, just a thought bob - wait till you see the flags,  {-) I used and abused what I had! Seriously though I'm just a happy modeller having fun, I'm afraid authenticity and museum standards are well beyond my capabilities, of course I like things to look reasonable and acceptable to the eye but the old phrase of "artistic licence" is something I hide behind.
          Thanks for your interest though Bob, I'm always glad to learn and that's why I'm here. :-))

Hello Boatonic, loads of pics to come, will post some more tomorrow all being well, currently building the Shamrock now and then the Assurance class tug hopefully. Re the trays I have to work a bit tidily, saves 'em getting dusty and damaged but also easier top store away.  Until I convert part of the garage for model making I currently share a corner of the conservatory with the dog! {-)

Thanks again to you both for you interest, regards Tony.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 04:48:36 pm »

Hello all, a few more snaps of my first build - may entertain you for a few minutes, regards, Tony.

sailorboy61

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 05:45:14 pm »

More great pics Tony, nice work....me thinks me'll be having one of these from Blackpool next month....I best go alone!!!!

{-)

Prophet

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 06:16:43 pm »

Nice model you have going on there keep up the great work, clearly you have a sound unit in there , are you planning other features to your build such as lighting, working winches? I'm watching this post with excitement keep going!

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 07:49:32 pm »

Very nice build Tony. I am impressed with the detail. It all looks so smart.

Well done     :-))

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 09:20:18 pm »

tt1,
Not just being a pedantic pain but I used to work for the RMAS which operated the Buff coloured ones.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 02:01:55 am »

Hello to all and sincere thanks for your encouraging remarks, : Karl, Bob, Sailorboy, Prophet and of course Ken. I think it only right to acknowledge you by name having shown your considerations by adding to the post.
        No I don't think your pedantic Bob, your obviously a time served seaman with great knowledge and experience of same, I would imagine Van Gogh would of been well p****d off if some ignoramus called his masterpiece a daisy picture (or whatever it was  {-)) Anyway when I met you at Wicksteed you agreed that you didn't think there were many questions that were stupid, well, seriously,  can you tell me what RMAS and RNXS stands for? (asked the audience and they confirmed RN was the Royal Navy  OK2)

Sailor boy, I will be at Blackpool on the Saturday all being well , and will check with Lawrie or Jackie to see if they've sold a loyal and keep an eye out for anyone with a large box  :-))

Yes Prophet there's a basic diesel engine sound unit - not too bad in the paddling pool but may need an amplifier - not sure yet but we'll see. Re the lights, well! if Bob sees this he'll really be in despair!  {-) {-) {-) I've fitted a grain of wheat lamp into every orifice outlet possible including 4 in the wheelhouse.  You can see my electrics (?!) are a bit "Heath Robinson" (hope no one's called that on the forum  {:-{) and if Dave (Action) sees it he'll sympathise with Bob  {-) but I had neither the knowledge or the skill to make the lights work in a correct navigation sequence so yep you've probably guessed it - a flick of the stick and the lot come on or go off - all 34 of 'em  %% The better half doesn't call me meerkat for nothing!

Thanks for your words Ken, having read a lot of your postings and followed some of your builds along with others on the forum makes me appreciate your comments all the more, I think I'm in the "kit" niche without a doubt, I have no knowledge of ships boat layouts etc etc so without the instructions and plans that come with the better kits I'd be lost and so scratch building is pretty well out of the question. I do love the music accompaniment with your videos , and your lifeboat really is the bees knees, one clever cookie - I'm not trusted with the TV remote OK2

Right,rambled on enough for now - just finished work so I'm in my wind down hour, will post more pics (of the superstructure) tommorrow today, regards to all Tony.  :-))

Prophet

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 08:42:03 am »

34 lights impressive, not sure if this is any use to you but Dave at Action has a selection of light control units, it may be worth a look, http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/las2.php
you may get lucky if you give Dave a ring he may be able to put something together for you to control all the lights with there functions but please keep going i can't wait to see the super structure and what your up to next!

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 08:53:15 am »

tt1
 Royal Maritime Auxiliary Service (RMAS) operated all the buff and black tenders.
Royal Navy Auxiliary Service (RNXS) operated the grey ones. They were training ships for students.
There was also a RN operated tender the Yoyo which was a RN Diving Tender.
As to the "Christmas Tree Effect" I certainly don't despair as it should show her off to good effect.

1 minor point about the kit though is that these tenders usually carried an inflatable "Gemini" and not the clinker boat supplied.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

karls

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 09:09:28 am »

I think she's looking fantastic, the capatin and the dog are a nice touch.Just keep up the good work.
You are also very good with a camera.
atb karl

awvs

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 12:33:53 pm »

Well done! Fantastic detail. You can be very proud of your model.

Best
Wilhelm

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 01:02:30 pm »

Thank you very much Wilhelm, kind regards, Tony.  :-))

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 01:29:54 pm »

A few more pics this time of the superstructure.
           Regards, Tony.

I did warn you that I went a bit click happy with the camera!  {-) {-)

Model_Slipway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2010, 01:59:20 pm »

Just to clear any confusion, this is one of the many pics I personally took around 1980, navy day, Portsmouth, note the clinker-built dinghy,  all 4 loyals there on the day had the same.

Beautiful job by the way, well done.

Lawrie  MS.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2010, 02:15:49 pm »

Loyal Mediator complete with 'Jeremy'

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.