Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: My Loyal build  (Read 24478 times)

sailorboy61

Re: My Loyal build
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2010, 02:37:35 pm »

tt1
 Royal Maritime Auxiliary Service (RMAS) operated all the buff and black tenders.
Royal Navy Auxiliary Service (RNXS) operated the grey ones. They were training ships for students.
There was also a RN operated tender the Yoyo which was a RN Diving Tender.
As to the "Christmas Tree Effect" I certainly don't despair as it should show her off to good effect.

1 minor point about the kit though is that these tenders usually carried an inflatable "Gemini" and not the clinker boat supplied.

Whilst scanning the net recently looking for info on these, noted that the diving tender one was currenly for sale...... though personally the conversion spolit the look of the thing.

Bob

asimmd

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2010, 07:00:26 pm »

Thanks to Tony for publishing all these photographs.

I too am building this model,and Tony's pictures are an inspiration.

Well done Tony,and I hope you are as camera happy with your next build.

Alan

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 01:22:17 am »

Hello Lawrie, didn't realise you followed the forum, (oh dear - mind now working overtime!!  {-) {-) {-)) thank you for your kind comment, coming from the master makes me feel quite chuffed.

Hi Ned, got to ask - who's Jeremy?

Hello Alan, got a lot of my inspiration from this forum too, quite often I was learning so much from different categories and quarters that,  at times,  for every three steps forward I ended up taking two back, but with perseverance and a lot of patience as they say.  ( Looks great from thirty feet! {-).)  The BIG test yet to be administered though is how it sails, didn't go under during ballasting in the paddling pool but that's as far as it's got.  Look out for your pm.

A few more pics to come where hull meets superstructure and then when boat meets water.

Kind regards to all, Tony.

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2010, 03:04:49 am »

I am also building a Loyal.  How did you attach your pilothouse to the cabin top?  How is the pilothouse roof attached?  And the funnel?  I am screwing all these together to give future access to wiring.

Lovely build you have there.   :-)) :-))

I am planning on naming mine "LOYAL VOLUNTEER."  What is the right color scheme, and what is the proper flag?

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2010, 06:41:41 am »

Hi Ned, got to ask - who's Jeremy?

Jeremy was our nickname for the Gemini inflatable  :D :D :D
'LM' on my pic has one in lieu of the clinker dinghy as
alluded to by Shipmate 60

Your build is an inspiration to us all
Congrats  :-)) :-)) :-))

Yours Aye
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2010, 07:32:00 am »

Hi Tony,
 Great build!
 Your motor & ESC mount / heat sink looks very efficient, can you tell me a bit more about it?
 And what make is the sound unit?

Martin  :-))

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2010, 02:05:13 am »

Hello CGAux26 and thank you for you comment.  Re the assembly of the wheelhouse roof, if you look closely (very closely) at the last photo of my first posting i.e the wheelhouse etc. you can just about see that, running around the inside walls of the wheelhouse about 4mm down from the top where the roof would attach, I've glued a 2mm square styrene strip. This is to support a false ceiling that is fitted with 4 red lamps which you can also see in the same picture, it's behind the funnel, you can just make out the wires sticking out at the rear. Another close look at the top of the wheelhouse front angled corners, you can see ( better on the left hand side) two tabs, these are glued and notched in flush with the top of the wheelhouse wall leaving a gap of about 3mm between the underside of the tabs and the top of the styrene supports, the ceiling slides in under the tabs at the front and rests on the strip supports and fits snugly inside the wheelhouse walls ( oh how I wish I knew how to draw on this computer!! {:-{) The wires are taped to the outside of the ceiling (obviously - doh!) and fed to the rear to be connected and hidden inside the funnel, the trick is to ensure enough of a gap between the styrene supports and the top of the wheelhouse walls so that the wiring does not foul, and the roofdeck, which also carries the mast lamp wires beneath itself, ( you can just about see these in the same photo as well)  sits correctly in position on the walls. The roof is secured at the front via 2 screws into the tabs. I've not tried to hide these, you can see one of them in the 12th photo of the superstructure pics.
        The important bit with this idea, is to ensure that the funnel is exactly the right height between where it fits on top of the wheelhouse roof, and the base where it is connected to the deck of the superstructure. The funnel is screwed to the superstructure deck from below, and if fitted correctly pulls down on, and secures the rear of the wheelhouse roof where there are no other fixings. It may help here, if after fitting, the funnel does not lend itself to a uniform seal to the deck, you can always run a thin strip of plasticard around the base as a bit of a kick board so as to speak - make a feature out of a cock up as my old dad used to say {-)
         I strengthened the underside of both the funnel and superstructure deck with plasticard to ensure I didn't distort either when screwing down.

Re the colours and flags if you read the earlier responses to this thread by Bob,(Shipmate60) and Sailorboy I'm sure you'll realise they could advise you more than I. However there are photos of some real vessels on the Model Slipway site - look under "gallery" and the colours in the photos which came with the kit I think are correct also.

Well I've rambled on a bit but hope this helps, you can always pm me should you wish, goodnight, good morning? and good luck with your build, kind regards, Tony.  :-))

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2010, 09:01:48 am »

Thank you Martin a big help, :-)) will reply to your post a little later.

By the way CGAux26, due to Martin's edit I can now see that I forgot to mention the cut out in the wheelhouse rear of wall through which the wiring runs, this goes down to the styrene support and is as wide as necessary.

Regards to both, Tony.

hama

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2010, 09:06:21 pm »

WoW!
Beautiful, wish I could build like that.
All the best!
Hama.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2010, 10:20:12 pm »

Hello martin, sorry late replying to you but things have been a little hectic at the moment, anyway re the esc, sound unit and motor mount, somewhere on the forum I've read a little snippit in one of the postings, where I'm sure it mentioned that the esc could get a little warm - (I personally have no idea), so it seemed a reasonable idea to use aluminium as a dual mount and heat sink and with so much room in the hull, It allowed me to align the motor more accurately and also have room to slide any of the above fore and aft should I have needed to squeeze a few more mm clearance for battery removal etc.  It makes removing the motor so easy and by being able to shunt it back and forth if I needed to change the coupling, variation in length of same would be no bother.
          Since then and having met Dave (Action) at Wicksteed, I have to be honest and say I THINK what he said,  when trying to explain to me why he doesn't like bec built into the esc, was something around the esc not receiving the specific required voltage which can make it a little warm and as he did say, any heat has got to go somewhere.

I did buy and fit one of his little bec gizzmos though, because although I'm very much a dummy re electrons, he made a lot of sense to me.

The sound unit by the way is from Hunter, but I think I'm going to need an amplifier - sounds OK with the superstructure off!  {-) {-)

Hello Hama and thank you for you kind comment, the replies to this posting have truly been an inspiration to me - I was very wary of posting at first but am really glad I did now, anyway the following is the last pics of this build.  Managed to launch and get it on the water today for its maiden voyage in a friends swimming pool of all places - I was well pleased as it seemed to sit right and sail OK although it wasn't choppy water thank goodness, and not a drop of water inside --- yippeeeee!

Thank you to all for your very kind comments - here's the last of the pics regards, Tony.      ---------------------

Prophet

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2010, 10:44:09 pm »

great job very impressed :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)), nice pool you lucky git  :D can i ask ,could we see some photos with the lights on?

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2010, 11:03:44 pm »

A superb build!  :-))

John

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2010, 11:23:38 pm »

Thanks guys, just for you Prophet OK2, Pics not so good without the flash and couldn't see to alter camera settings  {-) {-) {-)

)

Thanks again to all, regards, Tony.  ( off to celebrate ------- again  :-))

Prophet

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2010, 08:39:22 am »

superb very impressed i am loving the lights not sure what to say next  :-)) whats your next project?

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2010, 11:06:17 am »

Hello Prophet, building the Shamrock now, a nice little craft that's much smaller, lighter, with much less detail and no frills - but that's exactly what I want. I'm using an Eco 600 motor so it should go a bit, this is the one I think will be nice for a quick spin round the local pond and especially when the grand kids come.

Thank you for your kind comments, best wishes, Tony.  :-))

farrow

« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2010, 12:45:23 pm »

Hi,
When I joined the Port Auxiliary which became the RMAS, the RNX boats used to be referred to as mine watchers. The main task for the Loyal boats I believed was ship inspection work in harbours during times of hostilities, ie tell ships where to anchor check their identity etc. Also the RNX had a blue ensign not a white one, they where a weekend bunch of sailors who had a big budget allocated to them and they had a good time.

Dan2010

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2010, 03:53:40 pm »

nice work on your loyal class there  :-) I'm hoping to get one next week .. look like a vary nice boat. where abouts did you get your light fittings from ????

Dan

Prophet

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2010, 04:10:45 pm »

any  up to 12v grain of wheat light bulbs will do the job, i believe that TT1 modified his kit lights to accept them read up the post a bit more its explained, (reply 16) . if your intrested here a link to pick some up but look else where this was a quick search price may differ on other sites
http://www.rapidonline.com/1/1/10116-grain-of-wheat-bulbs.html

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2010, 04:20:18 pm »

You'd be better of using LEDs or fibre optics, for the light source.

Most of the well known hobby shops sell the fittings.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2010, 04:24:22 pm »

Dicky,
As most ships still use incandescent lamps or fluorescent fittings grain-of-wheat bulbs give a far more realistic light to the model for general deck lighting.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2010, 04:27:12 pm »

LEDs look great on Dan's Campbeltown, plus they run cooler and are less likely to blow.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2010, 04:43:10 pm »

One set of running lights on the Loyals were low voltage emergency lights
Although the model is rightly fitted with two of each, only one set would be used
while at sea.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

soldier151

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2010, 01:14:01 am »

Hi Tony
Well done on a superb build - been following your posts - Just a suggestion - why not try a week on the Norfolk Broads, - great holiday afloat - try the Connisseur craft at Wroxham luxury afloat
Glad to hear you are doing the Shamrock, great little boat - I'm very pleased with mine - use Action Force/Star Wars figures for crew - can send photos if needed
Kindest Regards
Soldier151 a Lifeboat freaky at Killingworth Model Boat Club (Up North) Howay the lads

stew49

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2011, 07:40:12 pm »

hi tt, Great build. im in the middle of building my tender, just wonderd where you got your nav and mast lights from. ive hunted and cant find any the right size.
any help would be good.  :-))

stewart

Roadrunner

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2011, 08:01:13 pm »

Not sure where Tony got his from but u are able to purchace nav lights here...

http://www.modellingtimbers.co.uk/9.html

and here...

http://www.mobilemarinemodels.com/acatalog/Electrical.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.