Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sealing Propshaft  (Read 4644 times)

darthu812

Sealing Propshaft
« on: September 05, 2010, 01:48:37 pm »

Was wondering what was the best product for providing a tight waterproof seal arounf the rudder tube and propshaft between them and the hull of my maggie m model? I have a product called "FIBER-POXY" which is a 2 part epoxy and it seams as if it would do the job ok? Also i was going to get a brass prop to replace the white metal one but couldnt remember whether the tread width is taken from the outer tread or the inner part as i can decide whether its an m4 or m5 tread?

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sealing Propshaft
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 02:24:48 pm »

Hello, Make sure that your rudder tube is higher than the waterline otherwise you will wonder where the water is coming from. experience is a wonderful thing.  Nemesis

westcoaster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 05:49:03 pm »

Hello there,
Working on the assumption that you're using the propshaft that came with the kit, you'll find it is M5.
I can recommend George Sitek as a reliable supplier of good quality props and he does an excellent Kort prop.
His web address is www.gsitek-props.co.uk , I've no connection with the firm other than as a satisfied customer.
I'd say your two part epoxy will probably be fine, but I've not heard of "Fiber Poxy" before. If it's similar to Araldite, then
go for it. Good luck with your build.

chingdevil

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 06:13:42 pm »

I personally would use car body filler, I have found that any epoxy dose not adhere well to metal.

Brian

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 06:54:14 pm »

Model Slipway do the brass prop for the Maggie M.

I always use two part epoxy to seal round the rudder and prop shaft. Rub over the brass tube with glasspaper to give a key. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

darthu812

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 07:52:09 pm »

Cheers guys! thought it was an M5 by using the steel rule. now i can get on with getting a brass prop, did see when i bought the kit from model slipway that they supplied a brass prop but they have taken the kit away for reworking so not sure if they would be selling them at the moment. I see wesbourne models has some.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 10:22:46 pm »

Hello, Make sure that your rudder tube is higher than the waterline otherwise you will wonder where the water is coming from. experience is a wonderful thing.  Nemesis

Thank you, Simple, very good point and not readily obvious to the newbie. :-)) :-))

Conversion of plastic kits come to mind where ruddder tube, if there is one may be below water line.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.