Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apparition speed boat!  (Read 2847 times)

Ben Tickle

Apparition speed boat!
« on: September 06, 2010, 02:15:40 pm »

If i am to start again with my apparition speed boat and refit it out with a brushless motor and a suitable esc, could anyone reconemend a suitable set up so it will go reasonabley quick. I would also like the boat to accept lipo batteries.

Thanks

Ben

Prophet

Re: Apparition speed boat!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 04:55:49 pm »

I'm going to assume it this boat..

to make that go faster if i have the right boat in the pic, it steers speeding up one motor to the other, or stopping one etc, so upgrading the electronics will cost you more then then boat did, as I'm not sure of the internals but i would assume that the radio and esc's are all built into one board, you have 2 options swap out the 2 motors in there and replace with 2 -540 brushless thats assuming that the motors in the boat are the same 'shell' size ( pic of internals of your boat would be handy!)

other option  would be a full overhaul of the electronics and motors esc's etc and to be honest.. your going to spend more on electronics then the boats worth, but heres a setup for you if you swap out all the electronics

twin 540 or 600 motors ( if they fit) or 400's if there small motors

for the 540 -600 motors you will need a Action P94 (built in twin 20A esc's with a mixer for steering) £78
and a new radio receiver
http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/mixers.php
for the 400 or smaller motors you might be able to use the actions 94 LITE (built in twin 10A with mixer for steering) same price as above.

but i will give you some decent advice if your planning on swapping out the electronics to obtain more speed .. don't! not with this boat any way i would suggest looking for something like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/grp-rc-model-boat-racing-powerboat-speedboat-boat-kit-/320585071714?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item4aa45bfc62#ht_1503wt_1137
or this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUPERB-RC-LARGE-TWIN-MOTOR-RACING-MODEL-BOAT-/220661853242?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item336078ac3a#ht_500wt_1154

and build your boat from scratch using a pre formed grp hull, I'm sure many of the power boat racers here might suggest similar.

rtr kits tend to be the best they can be given what it is and what it cost over powering them can cause more issues then its worth. get back to us with some pic's of your boat and the internals at present and see if we can help you with better advice :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 05:44:22 pm »

pretty much the same as Phrophet says...

1. Remove the radio control gear that's in there.... it's junk!
2. Fit proper 2 channel radio gear - £30-£100
3. Fit a 'high' voltage Electronic speed controller (up to 36Volts) - £30- £250
3. Replace the motors - £30 - £120
4. Fit better voltage pack (7.2v 3Ah > 9.6v 4.2Ah.) - £25-£90
5. Use 2 battery packs - £50-180
6. Use light weight LiPo batteries - £20-£250
7. Go Brushless - £20 - £500!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Ben Tickle

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 05:54:06 pm »

Hi,

This is the boat. It is not the boat that you have in mind but any advise is appreciated. I tried the boat on lipos which worked well but i blew the speed controller up which is why i am asking if anyone know's which motor (Brushless) and esc to put in.

Prophet

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 06:02:44 pm »

thanks for your reply bud much appreciated, ok give you some better advice now.

swap out the motor for a brushless 700- 800 motor, buy a mtronics 50A rated esc, this will allow the use of lipos hope that helps ! oh and keep the water cooling jacket in place!! your going to need it and you will want to look at water cooling the esc also as a modification  also check the prop im not sure what to advice prop wise someone else will, btu changing the prop will help some what

Ben Tickle

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 07:01:20 pm »

Hi,

I know im been a pain but could you possibly put a couple of links to the various parts that are required cause knowing my luck i will get a motor and it will be too small?

Thanks

Ben

mattycoops43

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 07:50:01 pm »

Sorry to butt in and contradict, but a lipo enabled speed controller is nothing to do with current. It means it can cope with the higher voltages of lipo batterys. It also means they should have a cut off voltage which is higher per cell to stop lipo being ruined by being discharged too low (3V per cell). There also is not really a 700 or 800 brushless motor, they are specified by their size and by how many rpm per volt they put out. You cannot put a brusless motor on a brushed speed controller as it has three wires and works off switched DC like AC almost.

Prophet

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 08:00:32 pm »

Graupner 700 racing motors (scroll down a bit)
http://www.westbourne-model.co.uk/electric-motors-drive-sets-for-model-boat-1727-0.html

esc's here
http://www.westbourne-model.co.uk/model-boat-electronic-speed-controllers-1728-0.html
BE SURE TO CHECK the motor draw to get the right esc! to smaller esc = fire!
you will need to add a fuse on the positive  :-))

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.