Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Springer tug / coaster  (Read 5790 times)

pugwash04

Springer tug / coaster
« on: September 06, 2010, 06:16:10 pm »

:-)

Hi all,
        as I am a posting virgin  please forgive if in the wrong place etc.

Just thought you might like to see my first attempt at a spring tug, I decided to make the top deck into a small coaster, the dinghy is made up from multi layers of ply then sanded to shape. Hull sides are 6mm ply, keel plate from 2mm ply, power is supplied from 2 x 6v 4amp batteries via a cheap electronic speed controller to an MFA 950D motor with a 2.5 x 1 gearbox and a 5 bladed prop.

Most of the build has been done one handed as I have had my right arm in a sling for 6 weeks after tearing the tendon off the bone, tripped over at work, just goes to show working is dangerous !!!!

Next time I'm out by the Eddystone Lighthouse fishing (12 miles out from Plymouth) I intend to take her with me and have a little play.

Lou (pugwash04)

Prophet

Re: Springer tug / coaster
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 06:19:25 pm »

Great 'Spruffer' !

pugwash04

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 07:09:09 pm »

Hi ,
       thanks, do you know where is the nearest boat club is to me, I live in Callington ( 12 miles form Plymouth, Cornish side of the water) ?

Lou

Timo2

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 07:14:41 pm »

Pugwash04

A great looking Springer  :-))

in the best UK style

Timo2

P.S.    at sea add extra buoyancy  O0

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 07:50:54 pm »

Nice , strangely familiar.  Yes add buoyancy and raise the bow bulwark another inch.  It is a Spruffer IMHO :-)) :-)) :-))  We need pictures  of the ship at sea, with the lighthouse in the picture too. O0
..well can you land on this?

Prophet

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 07:52:26 pm »

nearest boat club is in plymouth its self they sail wednesdays at the civic center (ponds) and sundays in Milbrook lake (tepid water) sundays they hook up with Milbrook boat club google plymouth boat club for more info  :-)) or give me a hoot i live in Torpoint

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 07:55:40 pm »

Very nice build.  :-))      Are you going to fit 'Bumpers' on the bow ?   Wouldn't the Eddystone Lighthouse look good in the background.  ( a Mayhem first if ever there was one )

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

pugwash04

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 08:36:52 pm »

Firstly I have to hold my hands up, I liked the sight of Springer McSpringer (clyde puffer) but decieded they always put the smoke stack in the wrong place, what idiot would put a great lump of steel infront of where you want to see !!!! , so moved the wheel house forward with the stack behind.

(Arrows5) had the boat in the bath and she floats a bit high already so with luck it shouldn't ship water.

(Tug-Kenny) Sorry no buffers on this baby, maybe next time

(Prophet) how do I send a PM to you ?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 01:25:55 pm »

The idiot designer thought the funnel straight up from the boiler wood be best, I agree. However "Spruffy" had a rear positioned funnel.  The hull is the same one with different upper-works from deck up.  To send a PM just click on the recipient`s name in his post and you will go to a whole stack of info about him/her and scroll downwards you will find a "Send this member a personal message" (or email).  

pugwash04

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 09:01:10 pm »

Hi Arrows5,

try as I might I can't figure out how to send a PM, anyway I take it you built both ? I didn't mean to copy 'spruffy' as this is the first time I have seen her, I have called mine ' Dozy Rosie' after our departed Yorkshire terrier,  I enjoyed making her so much that I have already started on my 2nd springer, it's going to be an MTB, knowing my luck someone has aready done one as well. Can someone please explain how I send a PM

Lou

Prophet

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 09:17:12 pm »

heres a image how to send a PM Lou use the IM icon next to the persons forum entry to send a pm i used your as a refrence to what i see so hope that explains things

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 09:32:15 pm »

To send a PM click on my name on this post (just above my picture) , a panel will appear with all my details. Scroll down and you will see a line saying "send this member a personal message" click on that and you get a panel to type your message. Then a box that says "send".  Easy.    Your next Springer an MTB, dont know of one.  Maybe a Vietnam river patrol boat or monitor would be better, blunt bow and all that.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 09:40:33 pm »

Well I never knew that Proph !

Prophet

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 09:53:58 pm »

you know what they say ' you learn something new everyday'   :-))

pugwash04

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 02:42:15 pm »

:-))
       Thanks  Arrow5, will have to try the PM out.

Have already started on the torpedo's - 18mm x 180mm long, I'm goning to use the Tamiya racing pit and wheel change crews with a bit of modifications for sailors so can't start on the cabin until I see the size of the men. May be No 3 will be a Veitnam river gunboat, one good thing is when I cut the stand out for ' Dozy Rosie ' the waste shape became the sides of the MTB, saved me alot of time.

Lou
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.