Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the anchor down?  (Read 7742 times)

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
Is the anchor down?
« on: September 07, 2010, 08:59:31 am »

You can almost smell the burning brake friction material.  :o  :embarrassed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAcfaMDcY68&feature=player_embedded

As the man said, "In this situation what steps would you take?" - Answer (All together now!)...........

Barry M

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
Re: Is the anchor down?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 12:06:14 pm »

Didn't hear anyone ringing off the shackles (that's when you could still see them going past  %) %) ) Wonder how the bulkhead around the bitter end is looking ?

Mike

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 12:14:50 pm »

Not as bad as the gypsy and its brake %% %%

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 01:52:13 pm »

I'm assumimg that it was lowered on the brake alone rather than lowering it under power. Somebody did not engage their brain - or the clutch.

Barry M

sailorboy61

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 05:50:25 pm »

It's normal practice to let go an anchor and stop it with the brake.......the skill is finding the right spot with not too deep water....... but then I've only been doing this 30 years so perhaps I do it wrong??

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 06:02:11 pm »

30 years ? Still wet behind the ears   ;) ;) %) %)

Mike

sailorboy61

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 06:04:52 pm »

30 years ? Still wet behind the ears   ;) ;) %) %)

Mike

Haha Mike.... and thats how it's going to stay..... landlubber time for me!

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 08:10:19 pm »

Can't say I regret a day - well maybe a few  ;), but there again I can't say I miss it much either !  :D {-)

Mike

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 10:41:37 pm »

Blimey! What happened there then? Did they drop anchor in the middle of the ocean!?

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 01:39:03 pm »

There could be another explanation.
Everything seemed quite normal for awhile. The anchor seemed to be on the bottom but was being dragged a bit (the bouncing up and down is a clue), until the windlass/capstan brake started to give up the ghost. It also seemed to be a quite large and therefore heavy vessel. I reckon that whoever was on the bridge went astern too heavily and the ships inertia prevented the ship coming to a safe halt. It's common practice to go astern (very slowly) when anchoring to stretch out the cable rather than letting the cable just pile up in a heap. So,m'lud, I point the finger at a stupid mistake made on the bridge (unless the Main Engine failed to answer a command, which can happen if the air start system wasn't primed. Just a thought. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 02:22:03 pm »

It was a functional test of the capstan probably after a refit - nice painted cable with with well marked shackle connectors.
Looks like winchman was testing the brake every half shackle but it started to slip after a couple of applications and the result
was cable run out with the brake applied but slipping.

IMOH of course!

Ned

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 06:33:55 pm »

I remember a scene on a TV series "Warship" when one of the seaman was about to "let go" the anchor (is that the correct phrase?), he knocks a "link" and the whole chain (cable) goes roaring off out of the hawsepipe - how would that have been stopped?

( I liked the fact there's another man behind him with his hand on his belt to pull him back, in case he slips! )

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10666.msg99941#msg99941

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

sailorboy61

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 07:24:02 pm »

Yes martin...thats the warship way......... but since they never go anywhere deeper than 3 foot (  >>:-( ).....(wait for the screams!).... the cable isn't going to run away.

OK...so they can stop it.... usually they have a squeezie clamp type arrangement closed by a man with a big wheel

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 06:43:54 pm »

The shipwright was the guy who knocked the slip off the cable when ordered to do so by the bridge
I was the capstan driver on a frigate for about 5 years and I never saw anyone holding to the Chippie's belt

Ned

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 09:54:12 pm »

The series was filmed on HMS Illustrious, would that have a lot bigger anchor cable?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

sailorboy61

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 02:31:29 am »

The series was filmed on HMS Illustrious, would that have a lot bigger anchor cable?

I thought Warship was way before the days of Illustrious ........ when I was still a nipper......?
Anyway, Illustrious is only a little ship ;)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 06:34:58 pm »

Warship (HMS Hero) was filmed on a Leander I Think
On most warships only the gypsies and warping drums were on the Fo'c'sle
motors etc were under the deck
The control was a T handle with a triangular socket the mated with a fitting in the deck
There were clutch wheels in the warping drums and also brake bands.
The only control with the T bar was 'Heave' or 'Veer'

Ned

farrow

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 12:31:02 pm »

I think Brian had the answer to the video. Have seen it happen before several times, bringing up to the anchor in very heavy tide runs have similar effects, in that with coasters have seen the chain leap over the gypsy even though the brake was holding. There is more skill to anchoring correctly and safely than many people realise and it is not taught in any nautical college that I know of.

yorkiej

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 02:09:20 am »

Having watched the video, I revert to my experience of a number of years as 1st Mate and Chief Officer on ships four times the size of the Illustrious and can say that, as my duties were always on the forecastle during port operations, I have much experience in these matters.
As disclosed this was a new build on sea trials, and as such they would have tried the machinery in deep water to see if it was up to the job.
The video shows that the brake man was in full control until just after the second shackle but it then went downhill fast.
Judging by the size of the windlass, this was quite a large ship which had a windlass each side of the forecastle and this was obviously the Starboard one.
I note that the brake, although having a large control spindle, was hydraulically driven. I also see that there was a manual brake for the anchor gypsy, quite apart from the manual brake on the rope drum, but they seem to have forgotten that after the runaway. Could be the hydraulics failed.
The smoke from the brake during the first four shackles, apart from the rust etc. later on, indicated that the brake linings were on fire quite early. Fire means carbonisation of the brake linings. Carbon is an excellent lubricant, hence no braking effort and the cable ran out to the 'Bitter End' which is securely fastened to the after bulkhead of the chain locker to prevent total loss of the lot. I was unable to count after the 14th shackle due to the dust/rust etc.
The jumping of the chain is merely caused by the velocity of the chain links passing over the chain gypsy. If the chain velocity overtakes the capacity if the gypsy to hold it, the chain will jump the gypsy and run free, bouncing over the gypsy, to the bitter end.
I was the Chief Officer on a ship bound for Nauru in the Pacific, when a painting detail on the forecastle let go the claws and the bar stopper to paint them and then let go the brake without putting the aforementioned back.  Result, an uncontrolled run out in several thousand fathoms of water and the chain jumped the gypsy. The windlass had insufficient power to pull the deadweight of the chain and 7.5 ton anchor back up so we had to do it in bits using the deck winches to help the windlass with wire ropes on the drum ends.
Oh Bliss, Oh Joy.
Cheers
John <*< <*<   

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2011, 11:52:56 pm »

IIRC, Warship was filmed on (but perhaps not exclusively) on a frigate bearing the letters D O on the flight deck - Dido?
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

pugwash

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 12:05:44 am »

Hi Adnrew the main vessel used for the Warship Series was HMS Phoebe, when she was not available HMS Juno was used Didio was definitely not
used as by that time I think she had been converted to an Ikara Leander whereas they were using a gun Leander for the series..
Geoff  (ex-Juno)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 05:54:52 pm »

Geoff
Juno doesn't get a mention in the cast list of ships.
Danae
Dido
Hermione
Jupiter
and in Singapore
HMAS Derwent

All had the pennant no F42 when filming which perplexed the russian spy trawlers somewhat   %% %%

Ned

pugwash

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 06:25:35 pm »

Ned we are both partly wrong "Modern Combat Ships 1 Leander class by C Meyer has Phoebe as the Main man also has photo of Dido
with pennant no F42 as a standin - I did have a letter from a mate onboard Juno to say they had had the film crews onboard for some scenes
and had Changed the pennant number - It would appear they used a lot of the class
Geoff

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 06:56:32 pm »

I left Phoebe out as I was basically listing the standins
When I was in Juno there was the odd story she was used for
between decks scenes.
On the stand in ships even the wasps were changed to F42
Flight deck markings would have been changed surely?
BBC had decent continuity staff then, not like now with upside down gunners and stokers!

Ned
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.