Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Borkum Build  (Read 8800 times)

TerryG

Borkum Build
« on: September 07, 2010, 02:04:40 pm »

New member with first steam build although many electrics built previously. It's a Krick Borkum kit and I'm going to use an Anton Cristal steam plant (courtesy Westbourne Model Centre ) any tips, advice etc. would be very welcome.

TerryG

bbjs

Re: Borkum Build
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 05:40:39 pm »

Nice !!

A very nice engine, I want one too...

Here's a thread with some Anton owners:
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=21720.0

I'm sure these guys will help you out with any question/recommendation about the Crystal.

Here's a thread with a borkum build (no steam though...)
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=20023.0

Finally, some inspiration what you *can* do with a Borkum:
http://dampfundmehr.de/bilder/pinasse/pinasse.htm

Cheers, Bjorn

TerryG

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 07:58:39 am »

Thanks for your help Bjorn, Should receive the Anton today, quite excited about that. Poor now but happy !!!
TerryG

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 08:39:04 am »

If you need any shots of a completed Borkum let me know.  I have one with a Cheddar boiler and engine fitted built by a gentleman from the south coast of the UK who unfortunately passed away.  He lined the hull with wood to create a very authentic effect and make the model that little bit special.

It's a great model for a steam engine and I'm sure you will really enjoy building it.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Bernhard

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 01:44:06 pm »

hi.......Great engine it is,,,,,,,,,,,,my have run perfect the hole summer again...........

Bunkerbarge ,,,let os see the launch....cant get photos en-of

Regards Bernhard

TerryG

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 12:05:52 pm »

Thanks Bunkerbarge, yes I'd love to see photos of your model, all of your models I've seen are an inspiration. Received the Anton yesterday, what a superb piece of engineering. As a retired aircraft engineer it's something I appreciate

steamshed

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 07:14:42 pm »

Hi All
A couple of photo's of my Borkum build

Fitted with a Cheddar Puffin
Mike

TerryG

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 07:33:30 pm »

Thanks for showing the photos steamshed, love the internal planking,

Bernhard

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 08:25:41 pm »

look real good,,,, :-)),,,,,,,how long running time do you have?

Regards Bernhard

steamshed

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 06:51:13 pm »

Thanks for those kind words Bernard  :-)
I normally get around 25 mins or so steaming, it is also fitted with Cheddar Electronic Gas Control
Mike

KBIO

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 08:42:16 pm »

Hello Steamshed!
Very nice finishing!
I'll be glad if you can  explain how works an electronic gas control? Is it reliable? I never dared to use one. {:-{
Thanks & cheers!

No need, i just found out in R&D! ok2 :-))

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 09:41:39 pm »

Thanks Bunkerbarge, yes I'd love to see photos of your model, all of your models I've seen are an inspiration. Received the Anton yesterday, what a superb piece of engineering. As a retired aircraft engineer it's something I appreciate

Apologies for the delay but here are a couple of shots of the Borkum.  The wood lining does make the model stand out of the ordinary just that bit.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

TerryG

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 01:52:58 pm »

Thanks for posting the photos Bunkerbarge, what an absolutely superb model, really excellent. If I could get anywhere near that standard I'd die a happy man!!! One thing has been concerning me is the weight of the Anton Cristal plant on the 3mm ply decking. Have you beefed that up at all? Thanks again for the photographs.
TerryG

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 01:59:38 pm »

Terry, I would recommend that you mount the boiler and engine on a common brass plate for a number of reasons.  One is the fact that the entire plant can be removed in one piece very easily, another is that it protects the woodwork from oil and water and finally it spreads the weight of the plant over the entire lower decking of the model.

Scrap brass sheet is fairly readily available so you just need to make yourself a former to bend the lip over before soldering the corners of the lip to make a "Save All".  I would ensure that the brass plate is held down with screws that are set into a couple of substantial transverse bearers.

steamboatmodel

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 05:25:30 pm »

I see you are using the Coleman C100 fuel canisters, do you have any problems finding them? We use to be able to get them over here and them about five years ago they disappeared from the market, the smallest we can find now is 225gm bu Primus.
Regards,
Gerald.

Bernhard

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 05:30:16 pm »

Veryyy nice one :-))
                               how long runing time do you have........
Regards Bernhard

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 08:03:34 am »

Gerald, I don't have any problem obtaining the 100 mg canisters in the UK and I usually buy a box of 10 to keep the shipping costs down.  I am aware that it will not be too long before legislation is intoduced requiring pressure testing of removeable gas canisters int he UK so I'm getting ahead of the game and using disposable tanks wherever possible.  It does away with all the fuss and mess of filling tanks through the dreaded Ronson valves and a small set of kitchen scales tells you instantly how much gas you have left in the tank.

Bernard, I can't take credit for building this model, that goes to a gent who has unfortunately now passed awy and I really wish I knew his name so I could give him due credit.  I get around 20-30 minutes, depending on how I use, it at which point I need to top up the boiler, fill the lubricator and empty the seperator.  The gas tank seems to be good for two or three runs depending on how long it takes to get up steam etc.  I sometimes use old tanks with only small amounts of gas left in them to get up to steam then put in a full tank for on the pond.  It only takes a couple of seconds to change the tank so it's very convenient.  I'm making a cover for the tank which will look like a wood and coal bunker and will hide the tank.

pipercub1772

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 06:23:00 pm »

hi were can you buy 10 packs of 100mg tanks ,that would be a cost saver i am sure ,also i don't understand why a gas tank manufactured by a reputable manufacturer made from substantial material should be regarded inferior to one of the disposable ones which are made from much thiner material  and also with the temptation for gas tank warming surely more dangerous regards allan

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 10:24:43 pm »

Go to the Coleman site here:

http://www.coleman.eu/UK/c-375-gas-and-fuel.aspx

and use the retailer locator to find out where to get the gas from.  I can't remember where I last got it from, if I find out I'll post the name.

The thinking is that manufactured tanks are not subjected to the same strict quality control procedures as the disposable tanks are and so manufactured tanks could be more prone to quality issues.  The trouble is that disposable tanks are a fraction of the thickness of manufactred ones and could have been stored in a damp shed for years!!

As usual though legislation is brought in to protect us from the people who don't know what they are doing and who will continue to be a risk no matter what legislation is brought in.

TerryG

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 09:20:38 am »

Bunkerbarge, thanks for the tips, the Anton plant does have a base plate but I will put bearers under the deck. I'm presently building two models, one long term and one shorter term, the Hemmens "Formidable" long term and the "Borkum", hopefully slightly shorter term. The "Borkum" will have the Anton Cristal steam plant and the "Formidable" the Hemmens Ribberdale steam plant. Isn't retirement wonderful when your hobby becomes your full time occupation !!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.