Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone had a hip replacement?  (Read 8443 times)

fatcat123

Anyone had a hip replacement?
« on: September 07, 2010, 07:09:09 pm »

Hi,

I'm 25 and after a serious accident 2 years ago, i've been left needing a total hip replacement in my left side as a result of rapid arthritis etc..

I'm just wondering if any forum member has had a replacement and if so what are the realities of such.

Ive been to the pre-op class which explains a lot but everyone is different i guess, my muscles should recover quicker as im younger but i'm really concerned about how delicate it actually is. I.e not crossing legs, laying on side in bed, picking things up etc..

Dan

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
Re: Anyone had a hip replacement?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 07:43:06 pm »

Hi Dan my wife has had 2 hip replacements last year.The 1st  was in May and the 2nd in october. Ang has recovered well  but when she had the 1st at 40 she had to use a zimmer frame to start with barely touching the floor ,like treading on egg shells.On to the crutches putting a little more weight on the operated leg each day.As for sleeping Ang had to sleep on her back for about 12 weeks which really frustrated her as she sleeps on her side or front normally.As for crossing legs not for 12 weeks but they should tell you in physio, picking things up that's where I came in but Ang did have a grabber,she couldn't sit in a low chair so had to  borrow a higher chair,raised toilet seats, a frame around the toilet, low steps for getting in and out of the shower and back door and me to help her get dressed, helping her in and out of bed, showering ect....
The scars healed well though but they make it look like her backside is frowning!!!!!!!!

Do you know if you will be having a general anesthetic or an epidural like Angie had?

We hope it all goes well for you and don't worry

Mark & Angie.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

fatcat123

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 07:55:49 pm »

Hi Mark,

Not totally sure if i'm going to be awake or not but a lot of metal work has to be removed first. I'm a complicated case accoring to my surgeon so god knows..

I'm not worried about the actual proceedure itself but really how restricting its going to be on my life. As for what you were saying about the high chairs and what not, this was explained in the pre-op and initially yes, i'm going to have to be waited on hand and foot but in the long term, i just dont know how its going to affect things. The pain, yes that will be solved which will allow me to be more mobile. I tend to find myself in allsorts of contorted positions and its bad enough now, nevermind with the new hip.

I'm getting a non-cemented ceramic thing which allows the actual ball to be changed should it wear out. The replacement contains a protein which encourages bone to grow round it, thus it becoming a part of me.

below is a ct scan of the inital pelvic injury and the new contraption.

Dan

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 08:24:56 pm »

Hi Dan,Ang finds that now she is 90% pain free,can walk further,bend more,etc. She had physio  which helped.
On a scale of 1-10 before Ang had her op's I would say she was a 2 after  I would say she is 5-6 so yes better but not 100%.
But everyone is different so I really can't say what your future holds.But at the end of the day it will improve your quality of life and pain free which is the important thing.

Mark
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

fatcat123

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 08:34:37 pm »

I see this as one big contradiction.

for example, an older person having this done would have to put in considerable effort to recover and become mobile etc.. their body would take longer to adapt and heal.. and older person i imagine would lead a more laid back lifestyle so their hip is 'safe' almost.

Where as me being the younger guy, i would recover quicker, adapt well but then put it at risk still wanting to be young etc..

its frustrating but we'll see and will keep you informed..

Dan

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 09:16:10 pm »

Hi had my first one at the age of 25 due to AS , it lasted about nearly 25 years till it started to where the cup out I had the other hip done at the age of 29, that is still in and I am comming up on 60 now, when I had the first one done I had a grope of twelve youth hosteling in balla 6 weeks after the opp (two of us) for a week so if you are young and fit ,just before I had mine replaced I had a bad fall (not my fault) and broke the hip, it was long overdue for repair but all difficult ones in my area had been put on hold for a few years so when it was eventually done I had to have a lot of bone graphs to build it up so I was immobile for six weeks. the only thing I can say is do the exercises and keep mobile as hard as it seems it pays off in the long run I worked teaching fortwent somethink years after and only a different illness stooped me,
hear is some of the old metal work from the first hip  replacement .
Peter

fatcat123

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 09:28:42 pm »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your input. I'm physically limited by a crush injury on the sciatic nerve which has resulted in paralysis below the knee, so i'm limited to start with. I do plan to keep up with the exercise and i guess ive got no other choice than to see how far i can actually take myself.

Dan

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 09:37:26 pm »

Yep i was in the same boat my spine was rigid and so was my neck that is why the hips became a must fix, I had had a lot of pain relief treatment on them or I would have had to have them changed at 20 in them day 35 was the min age they would change them, from day one after the opp the pain was less (prob due to a mix up with drugs) but it just got better, the only thing was i could not get in to my rebuilt MG Midget again.

Peter

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 06:13:18 am »

I haven't had a hip replacement, (although I do have assorted hardware - 2 plates and 13 screws - in my left leg due to a bad break 12 years ago) but a friend of ours, in his late 60s, had one last year. He made a very speedy recovery, and was fully mobile in a couple of months. Apparently, hip replacements are more quickly recovered from than knees.

Peter.

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 09:40:12 am »

One of my employees has just had his done age 34, 12 weeks of to recover but as good as gold now, just told not to run if he can help it....

Russ

Roger in France

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 10:58:53 am »

My wife has had both hips replaced and a subsequent operation when she dislocated a new replacement!

She suffers badly from arthritis and is 66 so her experience may not be of much help.

She still finds pain from the dislocated hip and is certainly very cautious about overdoing things. Sudden bending and twisting seems to be the problem.

I hope all goes well for you and I guess the best advice anyone can give you is to pay heed to the Doctor's instructions and ensure you exercise regularly and consistently.

Roger in France

ghost123uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 04:20:26 pm »

Being new here I never thought I would finish up chit chatting about this  %)

Watching this thread for replies as I have been putting it off for 4 years (and putting up with a lot of pain - thank goodness for strong Co-Codamol !)

Dan, I (and probably you) would like to know the following =

How are you supposed to sleep on your back for a minimum of 12 weeks when :-
A) - You are incredibly uncomfortable sleeping on your back (well I am anyway, in fact I cannot get to sleep on my back)
B) - And how about this = 6 weeks in, you are fast asleep at 4 a.m. and you naturally roll over on to your side (unless you chain yourself, spread-eagled to the bed  :embarrassed:

I do not have anyone living with me to help me get dressed, washed etc so what is one supposed to do ?

How can you stop yourself from accidentally crossing your legs without realising you are doing it ?

Are you really not allowed in a car for 12 weeks (that is what they told me) and if so how do you get home from the hospital !!

Another reason I have been putting it off is that I am self employed and financially live pretty much "from hand to mouth". This means that, if I cannot work for 12 weeks, I will loose my customers, my income, my shop and my house !

Dan I know what you mean re this Op on the young compared the the "older" ones amongst us.

The older will likely be retired and live a more sedentary life.
Does this make the restrictions easier to tolerate ?
or
Does being younger (and more fit & active) result in a faster recuperation ?

All a bit of dilemma really   %%

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 04:33:37 pm »

yes you have to sleep on your back , but you can elevate the bed and have a slightly raised back, you sleep at first with your legs in channels ( a lot of this depends on the surgeon) I have always gone home in a car it's driving that is not allowed for 12 weeks but that depends on the leg and again on the Surgeon) also they suggest when you do start to sleep on your side you put a pillow bettween your knees.

Peter

grantl

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 06:45:19 pm »

I have not had it done yet, my father had three.

His observations were:

1. The reduction in pain is fantastic
2. You get out of it, what you put in. Exercise diligently and carefully when you're post-op and you will reap your reward.
3. The reduction in pain is fantastic

I hope it geos really well for you.

bigfella

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 12:30:45 am »

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=7959436

Saw the above story on one of our Current affairs programmes here in Australia and thought it would give you some more info. This replacement appears to be done with minimal damage to the muscle (which seems to eliminate the lengthy rehabilitation period) and some patients are up and walking in four hours. Hope it helps. :-)) :-))

Regards David

steamboatbob

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 01:43:30 am »

B) - And how about this = 6 weeks in, you are fast asleep at 4 a.m. and you naturally roll over on to your side (unless you chain yourself, spread-eagled to the bed  :embarrassed:

I heard fluffy handcuffs work just as well mate  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

srry but as the great wisdom gurus say "always look on the bright side of life"

fatcat123

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 09:13:45 am »

Very interesting video.

My issue is that a lot of metal has to be removed so i'll be literally peeled open again from just below my rib cage on my left side down to mid femur and a bit on the front to the pubic bone.

my scars will be cut into again so i'm not worried about that. I will ask my surgeon about this proceedure and go from there.

As per the condition and pain of the women in the film, if shes 100% pain  i'm probably 80% of that. mine is bone on bone.

Dan

bigfella

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 09:51:58 am »

I think that the positive of this procedure is the muscle can compinsate the new joints early fragile state while it meshes and becomes part of the body. Also the muscle has no healing needed and that means it is less physio to get on your feet. Hope this has been of some help. It was on last night and as soon as I saw it I thought of your situation.

Regards David

ghost123uk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2010, 09:55:43 am »

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=7959436

Saw the above story on one of our Current affairs programmes here in Australia and thought it would give you some more info. This replacement appears to be done with minimal damage to the muscle (which seems to eliminate the lengthy rehabilitation period) and some patients are up and walking in four hours. Hope it helps. :-)) :-))

Regards David

I looked into that, most hospitals in the UK don't do it, some do.
It is really only applicable to "simple" cases, it seems that Dan's is not at all simple (and neither is mine) = shame as the recovery from the "Minimally Invasive Technique" is much less complicated and a heck of a lot quicker.

I heard fluffy handcuffs work just as well mate  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

srry but as the great wisdom gurus say "always look on the bright side of life"

:}  :}

pugwash

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2010, 10:48:49 am »

Good morning, Just picked up on this thread as I have been away on holiday - I had my right hip done beginning of
April this year - out of bed 3 hours after the op - rubbish about not driving or being in a car for 12 weeks -  The
DVLA rules are that you are NOT allowed to drive for 6 weeks - when you see your consultant for the 6 week check
he will give you the go-ahead to drive again provided you have healed at the normal rate  - as for being a passenger
I came back home from hospital 2 days after the op by car.  My operation was not straightforward as I have severe
ankylosing spondylitis which affects neck (turns 5 degrees either side) spine (virtuallly rigid) and most main joints have some
restricted movement - as for sleeping on back - it was a right pain but I wedged those "draughtstop" cushions on either
side to stop me turning over in my sleep.  My hospital does a fast track operation, their record is home after the op
in 24 hours.  I yesterday drom nearly 400 miles with no effect in new hip  but the unoperated leg is giving me hell this
morning  I would say to anyone considering it - Definitely go fo it -it is only a very small number who will not be helped
by the op.  Agreed you do need someone to help you for a few days after the op with putting on socks etc
but my wife got a sock "putter oner" for when she wasnt around.  Hope this helps

Geoff

fatcat123

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2010, 10:55:18 am »

hey Geoff.

Yes very helpful thanks. As for the DVLA, i didnt know you we're effectively banned for 6 weeks. Does it not matter that i have an automatic and my damaged leg is my left?

Dan

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2010, 11:15:47 am »

Good morning, Just picked up on this thread as I have been away on holiday - I had my right hip done beginning of
April this year - out of bed 3 hours after the op - rubbish about not driving or being in a car for 12 weeks -  The
DVLA rules are that you are NOT allowed to drive for 6 weeks - when you see your consultant for the 6 week check
he will give you the go-ahead to drive again provided you have healed at the normal rate  - as for being a passenger
I came back home from hospital 2 days after the op by car.  My operation was not straightforward as I have severe
ankylosing spondylitis which affects neck (turns 5 degrees either side) spine (virtuallly rigid) and most main joints have some
restricted movement - as for sleeping on back - it was a right pain but I wedged those "draughtstop" cushions on either
side to stop me turning over in my sleep.  My hospital does a fast track operation, their record is home after the op
in 24 hours.  I yesterday drom nearly 400 miles with no effect in new hip  but the unoperated leg is giving me hell this
morning  I would say to anyone considering it - Definitely go fo it -it is only a very small number who will not be helped
by the op.  Agreed you do need someone to help you for a few days after the op with putting on socks etc
but my wife got a sock "putter oner" for when she wasnt around.  Hope this helps

Geoff

Out of interst where did you get the DVLA rules to say you cannot drive for 6 weeks as it has always been until your doctor says you are fit to drive as some people take longer to recover i was in hospital bed bound flat on my back for 6 weeks before I even got out of bed for the first time and that was recently and yes I have AS ,HLA B27 etc but with no neck or spine movement at all completely rigid it was fun flat on my back as I ended up on a feeding tube and still tossing my cookies (very messy) and haven't had for 30 years oh the fun of hand mirrors,
but to fatcat that was because of special circumstances due to sever complications that i was informed about before so don't worry about yours taking longer.

peter

ghost123uk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2010, 11:37:20 am »

Please note - the following is just my experience.
It seems guidance on post op behaviour varies widely !!

My hospital told me I could not get in or out of a car as it involves having your leg too much towards a 90 degree angle with your body, the same restriction as in sitting in a chair that is too low (they supply a "hi chair" for you to sit in, and a seat raiser for the loo, you must use these for the 12 weeks after the op.) Also because of the twisting action getting in & out of an average car runs too great a risk of dislocation.

Same restriction reasons given on having a bath = not allowed and we don't have a shower  :o - (remember this is just what they told me - your mileage may vary - as they say)

When I asked how does one get home from the hospital he said the rear seat on a black cab is higher than the seats in a car, so that would be OK

pugwash

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2010, 11:41:19 am »

Hi HS,  our local hospitals fast track scheme prepares you beforehand - you see the physio and the ocupational
nurse etc and they visit your house to see if you need any special equipment like raising the height of your armchair
or bed or a loo frame they also give you a load of documentation in which it lays out the DVLA rules as six weeks no driving
BUT must have consutants OK to start again.  It was the same when my wife had her pacemaker fitted - do driving
for one week after the operation and it makes no diference to your car insurance.  Obviously if you are not fit at 6 weeks
you are not going to get the go-ahead to drive but apparently about 90% of patients get permission to dirve after 6 weeks

Geoff

fatcat123

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2010, 11:43:33 am »

At the pre-op class they told me you can go in a car but be very careful..

I think getting in mine is too much of a risk i'f i'm honest. Mines a very low sporty audi a4 with sports seats. I could jack the seat up and down to get in/out but why risk it. I rarely go anywhere in it anyway so not driving is only going to save me money...

Dan
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.