Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone had a hip replacement?  (Read 8422 times)

pugwash

Re: Anyone had a hip replacement?
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2010, 11:48:32 am »

I must admit we are lucky we both have a RAV4 which makes getting in and out reasonably easy - the physio
approved of me going out every day in the car - my wife used to take me down to the beach where I could walk
and get my leg fit again on flat firm sand - I wasnt very good on hills to start with.

Geoff

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2010, 12:30:26 pm »

Hi HS,  our local hospitals fast track scheme prepares you beforehand - you see the physio and the ocupational
nurse etc and they visit your house to see if you need any special equipment like raising the height of your armchair
or bed or a loo frame they also give you a load of documentation in which it lays out the DVLA rules as six weeks no driving
BUT must have consutants OK to start again.  It was the same when my wife had her pacemaker fitted - do driving
for one week after the operation and it makes no diference to your car insurance.  Obviously if you are not fit at 6 weeks
you are not going to get the go-ahead to drive but apparently about 90% of patients get permission to dirve after 6 weeks

Geoff

If you look on the dvla site there are no rules to say you cannot drive for 6 weeks but it does say it is up to your doctor to asses you,I have had four hips and different info each time. and yes the dvla do have rules on pacmakers, but it depends on the type of pacmaker and if you have had a heart attack I was able to drive go home after the opp and was only in two days.
after my first hip opp i had a MG midget as you can gather , I did not drive that again, and as for socks not been able to put them on for 35 years but more due to my AS
if you can get a chance have a shower fitted befor the opp and a proper raised loo they are  much safer than the bolt on ones or the frames etc.
Peter

Deep Diver

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 09:31:35 am »

The wife has had both hips done, she was up and walking in 24hrs on sticks, she came home after 4 day's, she had to walk every day until she could cover 1/2 mile with out stopping, and after six weeks she was back driving her self but she was driving me mad after 10 day's,  {-)  also the scares on her hips are only 4" long.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 10:11:34 am »

also the scares on her hips are only 4" long.

gosh she is luckey mine are from an inch above the knee to about 3" above my belt line, about 18" but they healed in no time.

peter

mrs m

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 10:58:09 am »

Flippant comment removed - Admin

I have been on the sharp end of the scalpel and this brought a smile to my face, anyway this is nothing compared to what Mark was suggesting just before my operations involving a modelling knife and some car body filler!!!!! {-) {-)  But I think it was his way of dealing with it because I was very worried and so was he. After all even the simplest ops can go wrong... But not often fortunately..

Angie. (remembered to log in on my account this time!!)

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2010, 07:11:55 am »

Just go for it, Dan, and hang the short-term consequences if it's going to make even a small improvement to your life.

FLJ

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2010, 07:50:14 am »

Topic cleaned up and put back on track - Admin.

On a personal note, although nothing to mentally look forward too, the long term results will speak for themselves.
  Just seeing the pain (pre opp) and and subsequent smile on Lady Angie's face (post opp) puts the whole thing in perspective!  :-)

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

fatcat123

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2010, 08:55:37 am »

Well this is the ultimate thing isnt it.

I will be so so good getting rid of the pain and getting properly mobile again, its just the restrictions it will have on my life which im concerned with.

Anyway, we'll find out how things go. I'm pencilled in for the middle of october and i'm also on a cancellations list so could get the call anytime really.

Dan

ghost123uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2010, 10:15:17 am »

Hi Dan (and all)

I will be so so good getting rid of the pain and getting properly mobile again, its just the restrictions it will have on my life which im concerned with.

That is my situation exactly. I (we)  know the op is pretty straightforward these days, so that shouldn't be too much of a concern, as you say, it is all the faffing about for 3 months afterwards.

Well I wish you all the best with it, and hope you will let us know how you get on.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 22 queries.