Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It would almost be worth moving to Lincolnshire  (Read 4765 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
It would almost be worth moving to Lincolnshire
« on: September 08, 2010, 08:44:05 pm »

I want this house.

Described as a 'train enthusiast's paradise', this semi-detached house has gone on the market for £105,000 - complete with its very own 1,000ft railway in the back garden.

The extensive miniature display features passengers waiting on the platform and a handmade model village.

The centre piece of the track is a huge Koi carp pool with bridges and waterfalls, where workmen can be seen maintaining the tracks.

'Rail enthusiast's paradise': The 1,000ft miniature railway in the back garden of a semi-detached home in North Hykeham, Lincolnshire, features bridges and waterfalls

It was put together by trainspotter Mo Reynolds, who lived in the house in North Hykeham, Lincolnshire.

He spent years creating the model railway which includes sound effects and contains 12 different scale models of steam and diesel trains.

An intricate castle complete with a working drawbridge and its own fairground also feature in the set, which is now up for auction.

Lincoln estate agents JH Walter are hoping the property, which is in need of repair, will be sold to a buyer who can restore the train track to its former glory.

Agency manager James Mulhall said there had already been 'good interest' in the house.

He said: 'I've seen small train sets in attics and rooms of the house but never anything as grand and detailed as this.

Detailed: The model railway, which includes a fairground, was created over years by the property's former owner Mo Reynolds

'It will be something that will either really appeal to a future buyer or completely put them off. It's a train enthusiasts paradise.

'The garden is taken up with the model railway and the previous vendor clearly spent a lot of time creating and maintaining it.

'We hope it will make more than its guide price of £105,000 but we have given it that estimate as parts of the property desperately need a refit.'

The house and railway will go under the hammer on September 29.

Train collector Mo Reynolds painstakingly spent years creating his masterpiece.

One neighbour, who did not wish to be named, said Mr Reynolds had also built a huge railway in his loft and had another in his double garage.

He said: 'Mr Reynolds used to spend hours in his garden. He also used to have some big koi carp.

'The house has been empty since about June.

'There is an extension of the train track that goes round into the garage. In the loft, his son told us there was a track that was too big to get down.

'From what he says, the track more or less covers the loft.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1310023/Full-steam-ahead-House-1-000ft-model-railway-garden-goes-hammer.html#ixzz0yy8bA24z
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: It would almost be worth moving to Lincolnshire
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 08:54:28 pm »

the problem with moving there is that you feel like the odd one out if you only have FIVE toes on each foot    :} and after 6 months you start looking at you sister in a different light %% {-) :o

:D Peter :D

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 10:33:24 pm »

Me and ma' 84 'cousins are takin' o-ffence at them thar re-marks Boi!....you come to Lincolnshire and we'll make you squeal like a pig for us!

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 11:04:42 pm »

what you and your uncle dad ?  :embarrassed:

Peter :}

Is this them ?

Wasyl

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 12:57:28 pm »

Great,just what I love,a Man with a great sense of Humour,mind you, the tootsie,s remind me of Frodo Baggins, and the Porkers are like a couple of Uruk-Hai,...Orcs to anyone else,or are they indiginous Lincolnites, {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Wullie

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 01:08:55 pm »

Carefull Wullie
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

Wasyl

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 01:20:02 pm »

Now! had you said,
"Careful with that Axe Eugene",I would have understood, {-)but that aside,i,m partial to Lincoln pork Sassaeges, {-)

Wullie

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 02:17:52 pm »

Now you're talkin' -  Lincolnshire sausages, by far the best UK 'banger' - non of this mamby-pamby, no taste, southern pink things. Smoother texture than a Cumberland but not as minced as a Saveloy. Particularly good from Watkins the butchers in Grantham - eeeh! their sausage sandwiches.....yummm!

HS93, you forgot the other supposed traits of the flat-landers, Fenland and East Anglian folk - web feet and gills ......

Wasyl

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 02:37:27 pm »

At least I got something right,mind you, yer Lincoln  sasseges are good,but they cannae hud a candle tae Steak sasseges fae Brymers of Brechin,Now thats what I call a sassege,and if you want some i,ll send you some down,..Vacuum packed,,just to keep health and safety happy,

Wullie

PMK

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 04:44:41 pm »

Particularly good from Watkins the butchers in Grantham -

What, you mean Grantham as in Grantham Leicestershire? Grantham as in near a place called Belvoir - which the locals pronounce it as "Beaver"?
My boss sent me there once. It was the middle of winter, 8:00pm at night, pouring with rain, freezing cold and I'm driving around trying to find some digs for the night. By 9:30pm I'd had no joy with finding a B&B, finally had a bellyful and decided to head for the nearest pub. Man, what an experience THAT was. 'Twas like walking into a scene from sort of of Wild West movie whereby beer glasses were being thrown through the windows, locals half-killing each other.... all because the local pool team were loosing a 'friendly' match to a bunch from another pub in the same town.
I finally edged my way to the bar. "Do you sell cider around these parts?", asked I. "Ah, so you're obviously not from around here.", replied the landlord. This is one of our quiet nights, so if you're gonna be drinking cider I don't want any agro, understood?"
A quiet night??! Did he say quiet night?
I finally left that pub around 03:00 the following morning. The locals were taking the mick out of my accent - and vice-versa, someone even ordered a Chinese takeaway, and we all played pool until chucking-out time.
Yep - a great place is Grantham....... even if they don't speak proper like what I do.

Wasyl

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 05:10:36 pm »

"even if they don't speak proper like what I do" {-) {-)
another county where they sell dictionaries to un-suspecting tourists,..everytime a local opened his mouth a bale of straw fell out,..talk proper indeed,..yer havin a laff ain,t ya,

Wullie

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 06:11:18 pm »

I stopped for fuel there once Gave him my credit card and he put it in the till
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 06:29:08 pm »

My wife was worth moving to Lincolnshire for.
I swapped the blue seas of Pembrokeshire
for the brown sandy water of the Humber
Sausages aint bad either

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

PMK

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 09:13:29 pm »

To sort of nearly almost bring Dicky's thread back on track...

If ever you find yourself in San Mateo, right there in Queen's Street, some fellow has done a similar thing in his garden. I was working just across the street and had to go take a looky-see for myself. Take particular note of the trees because they are indeed miniture real and live growing trees. No, not Bonzai, but cannot remember their proper description just now. The dude told me that it'd taken him years and years to get that far, and his missus told me she was sick of the sight of it all.

Wasyl

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 09:20:51 pm »

Pardon my ignorance,but can you give me a "skiffy"as to where San Mateo is,then If i ever land there,I can give the place a wide berth,as I don,t like choo,choo,s {-)

Wullie

PMK

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 10:57:22 pm »

37 31'09.62"N 122 19'54.92"W

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 12:36:27 am »

What, you mean Grantham as in Grantham Leicestershire? Grantham as in near a place called Belvoir - which the locals pronounce it as "Beaver"?

No, Grantham LINCOLNSHIRE - Leicestershire indeed! not suprised that took the mick out of your 'zummerzet' accent if you thought you were in Leics!
You're right about the Belvoir pronounciation - Beever, but that's because it's from the French - and  most place names are changed when they're 'foreign'.

PMK

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 02:14:06 am »

Well, what can you expect from a yokel? I need a map just to find my own garden gate.
And there was I thinking it was pronounced Beaver because of all the wimmin there. (M. Thatcher excluded, of course).

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 08:26:14 am »

Behave PMK .............  Trust you are feeling better now.........how's the teapot doiing?
                                                                  Cheers
                                                                      Bob
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

PMK

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 08:45:32 am »

Thanks, Bob. Yes, feeling miles better since quitting that dreaded Simvastatin jollop. Legalised poison is what it is.
The teapot, by the way, got broken (tnx to a clumsy ex floozie), but I bought one of those swanky Chinese ones - just for you and your good lady.

Wasyl

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 09:21:57 am »

37 31'09.62"N 122 19'54.92"W
Just because I happen to enjoy a Nautical hobby,does,nt mean I understand Nautical terms,when it come,s to finding out where Not to go to,a simple "its in this country"would have sufficed,

Wullie

PMK

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2010, 09:38:39 am »

Understood.
For what it's worth, the gibberish-looking numbers are co-ordinates for Google Earth and would have taken you straight to the man's house in San Francisco.
'Tis all a bit of moot point really, seeing as how you're not into that sort of scene anyway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.