Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: cheap ciigarettes  (Read 6811 times)

Wasyl

Re: cheap ciigarettes
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 02:52:08 pm »

My stopping,was for Health issues,but I made sure I put my weekly spend,into a sealed tin,and it was opened after one year,..there was £1300 in the tin,,,I can buy a few models for that kind of money, {-) and thats only smoking 10/20 per day,I perish to think what a 40/60 er a day spends if their buying tailor made cigarettes,

Wullie

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 04:31:44 pm »

Well done Wullie.   O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

garston1

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2010, 07:49:57 pm »

Wallace, Give em up! Stick to drinkin! It'll still kill ya but you won't remember!

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 08:30:13 pm »

My uncle died as a direct result of smoking cigarettes.........

He was trying to light one on a particularly windy day and didn't see the bus!!!!!! {-) {-) {-) :-)) :-))

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 08:50:34 pm »

Cigarettes killed my uncle too, he was run over by a Rothmans lorry....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

wibplus

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2010, 09:08:52 pm »

I stopped completely from 20-25 a day to nil a day. I had help.  ;)
I found a set of CDs which cost me less than a weeks cigs and the guy on the CDs simply talks you out of it and gives a lot of useful hints and tips to stay stopped.

Dont let anyone tell you that you need to be "up for it" and prepared.

I was in a foul mood that day that I listened to the CDs (it takes about 5 hours) and you can carry on smoking and have tea breaks etc whilst listening.

After a while, I began to realise that it was a long time since I felt like a smoke and at the end of the session I had eleven cigs left in the pack.  :o

I threw them away a few weeks later because they were cluttering the mantlepiece. Never had one since. (Sometimes feel like it but know how to deal with it.)  :}

I still have the discs but never needed them again. Kept them in case I might one day.  That was over three years ago.   :} :} :}

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2010, 09:33:09 pm »

My nicotine-crazed sister-in-law arrived from Australia and headed for the local market from whence she returned boasting of the great bargain she had bought, i.e. cheap cigarettes. When she lit one it burned with the speed and ferocity of a Roman candle. Undeterred she worked her way thorugh the rest and, given the speed of combustion, this did not take long. 

The experience should have put her off the weed for life but, apart from suffering soot falls, she is still at it.

Barry M 

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2010, 10:25:13 pm »

No one ever mentions the paper contained in a ciggy. Apart from the baccy itself, tailor made cigs are wrapped in thick pape impregnated with saltpeter to keep them alight. If you remove the paper and set fire to it it burn fiercly and leaves a considerable amount of ash residue. This makes me wonder how harmful the inhalation of paper fumes on it's own can be compared to the baccy itself.
Remember the little old guys propped up in the corner of the pub each night, happily puffing away on their pipes... they were always old guys, looked about 80 and usually wore a cap . When they had a pipe in their mouths it was normally unlit, occasionally they would have a flare up, smoke the pub corner out for about half a minute then carry on chatting long after the pipe had extinguished itself. They would repeat this process at intervals during the evening. The youngsters at the bar would get through best part of a pack of fags in a couple of hours.
Pipe smokers seem to last longer than ciggy smokers and perhaps it has something to do with the nature of the smoking process ie: no paper, no chemicals and a pipe which rid the comustion products of some of the tar and moisture due to condensation within the pipe itself... that why they need cleaning frequently. The ciggy smoker inhales the lot and the frequency with which he does it is much greater than the pipe smoker.
Whilst I'm not advocating anyone takes up smoking, maybe there's something about pipe smoking which is somewhat less harmfull than fags. I have smoked a pipe most of my smoking career , when you run out of pipe baccy and really fancy a smoke, I would accept a rollup but never a tailor made fag as they tasted foul and made my eyes stream. No wonder they kill people.
All said, I would never pillary a friend or collegue for smoking because there is nothing worse than banging on about something and making folk feel uncomfortable all it does is make them tend to avoid you rather than talk to you. All the lecturing and castigating in the world will not make someone stop smoking, it will just irritate them.

The answer is education, once in possesion of the facts it becomes an individual choice and providing it affects no one other than the guy with the ciggy himself then I'd say let everyone do their own thing. I wonder how many ex smokers light bonfires in the evenings and smoke out the local community or decide to go out in the car for a ride round cos they are bored, aren't they just as guilty of fouling the air for others as is the guy with a fag on?

Finally, as a bloke who has smoked as many times as he has given up I can tell you one thing for certain, It's not the nicotine which makes you want a fag, not after the first week of abstenance anyway, since the nicotine itself leaves the system fairly quickly.
Once the nicotine has gone, it's your brain which drives you to want a smoke, it's the sheer habit and feeling of emptiness because an old established and comforting routine has suddenly vanished and there is nothing to replace it. A lot of people turn to food, this coupled with the body's newfound ability to absorb the nutrients more easily results in a weight gain. The desire for a ciggy will knaw away at you simply because you miss it and want it and you feel lost without it. Once the nicotine is out of the system it is definately a state of mind.. a battle of the will no less.
Bin there, got the T shirt.

Wasyl

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2010, 02:12:47 am »

Saltpeter,now this s a weird substance,that has many uses,...as you say Sheerline,its in the paper of tailor made ciggies,to keep them burning,but its not in hand rolling papers,cause they continuously go out if you don,t keep puffing,This does,nt make self rolled any safer, but they do last longer,..but getting back to Saltpeter,..its an ingredient of Gunpowder,hence the big flash,
...but it was also used as a preservative during 15/1600,s,and it can also be used in the cooking of meat,A fiend of mine once research cooking habits from the time of Henry V111,..dd you know that he,Henry,once spent the equivalent of £1,000,000 by todays standards on one state banquet,...my mate Alfie replicated a meal that contained Saltpeter,He got a joint of beef,Topside,3kg,and injected it with Saltpeter and salt, stuck cloves around it,and kept it in the garage for 8 weeks,..why the garage you may ask,well it was the coolest place,as the recipe said that the meat had to be put in the cold store or game larder, after 8 weeks,the meat was placed in the oven and slow cooked for 4 hours,then rested for 2 When the meat was carved, we could see  veins of green/blue running though the meat,...now the question, was it good,...it was delicious,..different,but delicious,

Wullie

PMK

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2010, 06:41:43 am »

They know what they are doing dude. Don't worry.

You're definitely spot on there, my man; for they do indeed know what they're doing.
The truth is, I'm not sure why I was so spooked about it in the first place, because the whole procedure lasted just literally minutes. No pain, no fuss and everything checked-out perfectly.
Like I said, I'm pretty much terrified of hospitals, but given everything which has happened during this past few weeks I've suddenly got a whole load of respect for everyone who works there. I was treated like a King. And the wonders of modern-day medicine is nothing short of miraculous.
Grateful be I.

Smoking?
I think you probably hit the nail on the head when you said that it's mainly all to do with willpower. Unfortunately, willpower is something that I don't possess, so I'm quite taken with the idea of the aforementioned acupuncture. Or, if that should fail, then as Mr Sheerline says; perhaps even consider smoking a pipe. Luckily, for me at least, my arteries are in good condition - pretty much free of anything smoke related or fatty foodstuffs, ergo I did not need any stents installed. The main problem being that the left-hand side of the heart is weak. No-one is really sure but it seems that the weakness may have been there since birth. The heart attack could have happened at any time in the past - even when I were kid. Meaning, if this is the case, then there's no reason not to continue smoking, right?
Wrong.
I've had just two smokes recently (as opposed to the usual 12 or 15 each day). It would seem somehow foolish to continue smoking just for the hell of it, so rather than experience these hellish withdraw symptoms, I figger on smoking just one every once in a while - probably after a meal or suchlike. Because no matter how much I try to lie to myself, I just cannot escape the fact that I actually ENJOY a cigarette.

Who knows? I'm ready to try anything. But man, I wish I had your willpower.

wibplus

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2010, 07:46:21 am »

Hi PMK
Who knows? I'm ready to try anything. But man, I wish I had your willpower.
[/color]

As I said in my post, I still have the CDs that got me stopped and you are welcome to have a copy of them if you want.  :-))

One of the things that is stressed in the CDs is that you wont need willpower, what you use is information, logic and motivation. It seems you already have logic and motivation.   :}

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2010, 10:25:25 am »

One of my fairly successful attempts at stopping was from a pipe.  I did truly enjoy the ritual of crumbling and packing and lighting and then keeping it that way.  Then, one day, the Red Arrows cured me.  I made the mistake of looking up while fumigating the street with an aluminium stemmed pipe.  That mouthful of tar was a really good stopper, for the next 18 months.  Tasty, as well.  It was almost 30 years ago, and I can still taste it.
The final stop happened while suffering a real cold.  I was working out how much less effective and more difficult each breath was becoming, and how long it would be before it stopped working altogether.  Then, instead of switching to Consulate, I spent the ciggy money on fruit.  Have an apple or something like it instead.  After a time, not only are you healthier and livelier, you daren't have any naked lights near you.  That was over 20 years ago, still working, and no desire to start again.
Now, about chocolate...............
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

sweeper

• Full Mayhemer
  • When all else fails, read the instructions
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2010, 04:47:06 pm »

Hi there PMK,
Sorry to read of your recent problems, at least the jump lead treatment worked!

I can understand your touch of the "whitecoat syndrome", just had a short spell inside myself - the first in nearly sixty years. Strange experience but as you say the staff are magic.

As for quiting the weed, been there (many years ago) from smoking 20 a day of Capstan Full Strength to zero in one swoop. Hard? Yes! Painful? Yes!
Got to the stage of waking up one night in a cold sweat, I swore that I was smoking in bed and had set the bed on fire. That was the worst of it for me. I simply refused to buy the stuff, avoided going into the newsagents for my morning paper on the way to work - no paper but also no weed.
Stayed clear for quite a number of years, although I had enjoyed them I must admit I never again had a craving for them.
Fast forward a number of years and for some unknown reason I started with a pipe.... Still use it, the crap that comes out of that makes me cringe to think it used to go into my system.
My local Doc is one of the variety who blames all (and I mean ALL) the ills of the world on weed - of any type. He has stopped short of claiming that the problems in the Middle East are due to some squaddie lighting up a blue liner. Must have choked him not to say it though.

With your recent activities it could be a good idea to consider walking away from it. I'm not preaching at you man, I've had too many episodes of that myself. Given the history though?
Whatever you choose to do, good luck with the process. Stay healthy (and breathing).
Regards,
Bill
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.