Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IV Bag Fuel Tanks for petrol  (Read 4947 times)

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
IV Bag Fuel Tanks for petrol
« on: January 28, 2007, 01:52:07 am »

Hi there,

I notice from some of the sites on the other side of the pond that there seems to be a movement away from the beloved rigid plastic fuel tank to "IV" bags, anyone got any experience of using them, either good or bad?

Thinking of changing to one to give it a go.

Glenn

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: IV Bag Fuel Tanks for petrol
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 04:29:55 pm »

hi glen i dont have experience but apparently they all use them in the usa and like you said those that dont are changing over.let me know how it works out for yaa.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 06:14:18 pm »

Will do, ordered this weekend from Hanson, Al emailed me to say they were on the way. ;D

Glenn

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 06:19:07 pm »

They are finding their way into petrol boats here in Sweden as well and not just in the "O" boats. Fredde Cederberg (a known name in FSRV) has been using them in his 35cc "V" boat.
No personal experience either but I suspect I will be going that way with my next build. Biggest problem seems to be finding the "right" bag (that can withstand petrol) and I have heard of a few that have had problems sealing the inlets/outlets.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 06:22:50 pm »

Cheers Ian,

I will post and let you know how they go. Looks like it should be possible to get the weight nice and low.

G

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 12:02:16 am »

:)My bags have arrived. Look pretty solid and robust items. I am currently refitting the Miami out, so I will let you know in a month or so how I get on with them. One obvious (now it is in my hand) point that I had given no consideration to - the bag is unvented so I will need some sort of pump now to fill the blooming thing... And make sure no air is in there.

Hey ho.

G

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 09:17:40 am »

And make sure no air is in there.
Back to baby time Glenn, they call it "burping the bag"  ;D ;D

Pump wise I use a simple Du Bro fuel bulb (http://www.shopatron.com/product/product_id=DUB519/101.0) and a Du-Bro Quickfill, works well for the hard tanks and should work for the bags as well.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 01:13:02 am »

Cheers Ian,

will give it a go, spooky terminology you used there considering my number two child is arriving imminently....

Guess I can always now print your posting to try and justify my shed time as "practice for when the baby comes" - dear.

Do you reckon I will get away with it or not?

Glenn

Blagmeister

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 07:23:49 pm »

I just use a big 2L PET [lemonade] bottle with a decent washer-reinforced lid with a petrol nipple on it to fill mine.  I have a one-port IV bag into which there is a Y pipe. One end goes to the carb and the other has a nice long tygon filling line attached to it so I can fill the bag with the PET bottle well away from the boat so as to avoid any spillage. [Not that I get any].  I pump the fuel into the bag using the PET bottle simply by squashing it and burp the bag back into the bottle whilst it is still inverted.

I could do with a decent source of IV bags though as I have burst a couple of mine on sneaky glass strands so perhaps some kind of tray to sit it in might be worth considering to avoid this.

Cheers

Phil

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 12:03:40 pm »

I get any amount of IV bags from the hospital, they are not allowed to use the ones that are out of date, they throw 8 or ten in a carton per month for me..........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

fuelman8

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 11:37:36 am »

Glenn

I just changed from a rigid tank to an IV bag for my Easy Vee.

Saves from having to run a vent line and I can put the bag under the engine so as not to mess with the CG. It also left the carb side of my engine open so I could put my V-stack back on.

I've only run it for about an hour so far and haven't had any problems.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 12:40:51 am »

Well,

been using an IV bag on my friends Panther I built up for him for the last 6 months with no problems, good in crashes too as they do not spill fuel nor take in water.

Shame they are no good for Methanol really.

I am now a fan.

Just got to watch them if you leave the boat out of the water and the heat gets to them when they have petrol in - they can easy build enogh pressure to burst.

Glenn
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.