Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: O Boat Problem  (Read 3246 times)

Windsorsub

O Boat Problem
« on: September 12, 2010, 04:45:26 pm »

Good morning,

You guys were instrumental in resolving my Motor/Transmission problem a month back, so I thought I would ask you for more help.

I have a 1/48 O class submarine with a 4" OD WTC. The sub works well in the water for 5 to 10 minutes (surfaces and/or submerged) , and then she shuts down, as though it has lost all power. This happens above or below the surface.

I initially though that the problem was related to the internal BEC of my speed control, so I disabled the feature and installed a 5 Volt 1A regulator (model 7805). Same problem. Thinking that the issue could be related to the HITEC Radio I am using, I contacted their support team who confirmed that they have never had receiver problems on this radio model (Laser 6 6ch FM 75mHz Radio).

As a last resort, I installed a new set of 4 Nicad batteries and tried her again. Same problem.

As an FYI, the sub uses 5 Hitec HS-325 servos and an Mtronics 40A speed control.
The maximum amperage draw using all servos/sc at once is just over 1A.

Appreciate your help

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: O Boat Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 05:58:11 pm »

Does it do this on the bench?
It could be your thermal cut-out in the ESC if it gets warm.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 06:20:33 pm »

When you say " it shuts down " is this totally or when left for a while you can re start and then it happens again ? if so I would tend to agree with the other reply as some of the the Mtroniks do this to avoid you blowing the controller, if not then it may be another issue like a dry joint somewhere heating up then breaking contact maybe ?.

I run all my subs on the Mtroniks controllers and have never had any issues with then, but then I do ensure they are all well within the current draw of the appropriate motor and prop combination etc. :-))

Hope its of use.

Regards.
sub.

Windsorsub

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 06:53:04 pm »

Afternoon gents,

Answer for shipmate60: I thought the BEC capability was my problem, so it is disabled and I am running Nicads to the RX.

Answer for Sub driver: She shuts down for at least 5 minutes or so, then starts up agan. But there is NO BEC. What is a "dry joint", and could it be in the receiver?

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 08:25:42 pm »

What do you mean by shut down? Servos dont work or motors dont work? If the servos dont move and your running a sepearate RX battery then this is a Radio issue. Try a different Rx and/or different TX. If the servos move but no power to the motors then it is an ESC issue.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 08:46:03 pm »

Windsorsub.
If the thermal cut out operates it will cut out the motor, but not sure if it cuts out the BEC as I don't have a circuit diagram tor this controller.
But with separate receiver batteries it should show the fault as Mankster describes.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Gra

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 10:21:29 am »

Hi
I had very similar problem with a Sheerline Akula.When boat stopped going forward i found if i went to reverse and then forward boat would be ok but would then cutout again.
My boat had the Mtronics 40 A esc. I contacted Chris at Sheerline with my problem, he sent me a new Mtronics 40a esc and i disabled the BEC on the Mtronics and the boat now works fine.

Gra

Windsorsub

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 01:13:26 pm »

Morning gents,

For Mansker: The sub is (now) set up with a Nicad pack to the RX and 12V 4A to the motor via an MTRONICS SC. When she shuts down, nothing works. Leads me to believe that the RX is defective.....?

I have another call into HITEC support

Thx

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 06:15:55 pm »

If you have a spare RX you could try swapping it out, as the problem could be your TX.

Windsorsub

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 12:08:27 am »

Evening Gents,

Swapped out the RX, problem solved. Hitec Support is sending me a new unit.

Appreciate your help !

AGAIN

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.