Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MT Flying Dolphin  (Read 6358 times)

Carl_P

MT Flying Dolphin
« on: August 16, 2010, 10:23:52 pm »

Good evening everyone,

Today I have taken the first step in my scratch build of the Flying Dolphin by Mr Pottinger (Free in MB April 2010). Firstly new fretsaw blades for my Draper 16" fretsaw along with 5 ply ply.

As this is my first scratch build (Or boat build for that matter!) I can assure you all I will be requiring advice and support from the old salts!

I am using the carbon paper copy method to transfer plans to ply and I am over the moon with the results. I was unsure at first about this method so I had created a number of paper cut outs to use as templates but after several attempts at this I wasnt happy with so resorted to the copy paper.

Picture 1 shows the bit I AM well versed in having scanned in the plans to create a mirror image of the framing. Pic 3 shows my first completed frame (I wont lie I did a lap of honour around the garage and back garden much to the other halfs amusement! Pic 4 shows the limit of progress before I was shouted at to stop "messing about with wood and have my tea!"

I will admit I had a go at the keel but made a massive tosh of it (I dont think I have copied it correctly) and put that down as a "practice peice". Another try later in the week required methinks.

If anyone has any comments or criticism please do share. I am not adverse to feedback!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: MT Flying Dolphin
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 06:58:55 am »

Hi Carl - do you use the .pdf file conversion facility on your Epson Vxxx scanner? ....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

tugmad

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 08:28:58 am »

Hello Carl   do you intend to make a plug for a fibre glass hull or are you going to make a plank on frame hull? as I noticed that you have cut out the frames to the top of the bulwarks solid as I normally make a plank on frame to deck hight only and then add the bulwarks after.
George. :-))

tugmad

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 08:31:33 am »

here are a couple more pics of how I do it . ok2  George

tugmad

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 08:35:37 am »

and a couple more :-)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 09:03:51 am »

Lovely work!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Carl_P

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 09:50:35 am »

Hi Carl - do you use the .pdf file conversion facility on your Epson Vxxx scanner? ....Derek

Hi Derek, not on this occasion. The method used was to place the plans in and when in photoshop go into the file menu then import and it gives me the option of the Perfection V300. I hope this info is of use!

Hello Carl   do you intend to make a plug for a fibre glass hull or are you going to make a plank on frame hull? as I noticed that you have cut out the frames to the top of the bulwarks solid as I normally make a plank on frame to deck hight only and then add the bulwarks after.
George. :-))

George this is plank on frame and you have found my first demonstration of how not to do it  ok2 I have had to look up the term Bulwark and the definition it gave me was 'The side of a ship above the upper deck' may I assume that upper deck is not superstructure in this case or have I got my wires crossed again? I have also replied to the PM. And a massive thank you for the photos, my rationale is that a picture paints a thousand words and with those thousand words you Chaps can keep me right!

Last but not least Martin thank you for the encouragement, I am pleased to report that spirits are high!

More work to be completed later however I am now off to Lindisfarne with the other halfs family for a trip out. Best wishes to all.

tugmad

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 08:47:22 am »

Hi Carl the Bulwarks on a tug are the sides above the main deck not on the superstructure.  the reaso I build up to the deck first is so that it is possible to get the coamings fitted ( the bit that on a model hopefully keeps the water from getting in under the superstructure) and then get a good fit for the superstructure to the deck after which I fit the Bulwarks  all will become clear as the build progresses. geo :o

Carl_P

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 07:26:39 pm »

A quick one to let you all know that i haven't dropped off the face of the earth! Work has progressed slowly however I now have a firm grip (oh errr!) of this plank on frame lark. More photos upon completion (ie when im done and everything is in one place!)

Further to this the disk / belt sander combo is a massive boon! Now if only there was 48 hours in a day!

Cheers for now!

Carl

tugmad

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 04:54:34 pm »

Hi Carl how are things progressing with your build? :-))

japottinger

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 04:20:42 pm »

Hello Carl,
I assume this is to my mod. plan.

Not sure if you have notieced yet but when the CAD/CAM maestro was transposing my original to the usual MB format he somehow managed an error in drawing the hull sections forward, making them less wide and rounded. If you measure the width on RH side of the body plan at sect 5 it is narrower than same section on LH side!

Carl_P

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 09:52:18 am »

Hi Carl how are things progressing with your build? :-))

Slowly and Painfully! Hoping to get into gear more now the dark nights are drawing in!

Hello Carl,
I assume this is to my mod. plan.

Not sure if you have notieced yet but when the CAD/CAM maestro was transposing my original to the usual MB format he somehow managed an error in drawing the hull sections forward, making them less wide and rounded. If you measure the width on RH side of the body plan at sect 5 it is narrower than same section on LH side!

'tis indeed! This does explain why I have had some difficulties with the frame. At least I know that the LH side is the one to copy from!

All the best for now
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 23 queries.