Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SD Hercules  (Read 6652 times)

Prophet

SD Hercules
« on: September 13, 2010, 09:53:35 am »

Hey All, Im going to post a link to a pic, the photo won't let me copy the URL,
http://severnshipping.fotopic.net/p60831173_v10.html

Its of SD Hercules based at Plymouth Dockyard, heres the issue i cannot find a plan to build it anywhere, the closest looking boat is Tynes Flying Spindrift, i had concidered purchaing it but the wife yelled no .... so im after a plan can any one help? i have contacted the dockyard them selfs and got passed the buck, i have also contacted the national maritime museum in the past and meet with 'blank faces' so can anyone else help, i am after either a plan of this particular tug, or one thats is very similar looking. please don't guide me towards kits there a no go area at present!

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: SD Hercules
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 10:22:13 am »

Try Damen,
They are all standard Damen builds.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Prophet

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 10:46:56 am »

i have tryied looking for Damen info and it runs me in circles i can find everything but the information i require  >:-o

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 10:47:33 am »

Try Damen,
They are all standard Damen builds.

Bob

Well you can try Damen, but don't expect a reply, they are not forthcoming about any information/drawings etc.................. I know, I have tried!!!

But good luck anyway!!

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 10:49:00 am »

I can't help with plans but I did take over 70 close up photos of SD Hercules at Plymouth Navy Days last year for a possible Model Boats photo feature. I'd be happy to send them you you if you are interested.

Colin

Prophet

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 11:00:16 am »

thanks Colin for that offer there is no need i see her every day from my front window i live direcly opposit the dockyard i have catalogued over 1000+ images and i have been on her for close ups, my issue is trying to obtain a set of drawings to build her.

she is a DAMEN STAN TUG 2608

if that helps anyone help me track down a plan!

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 01:12:51 pm »

...Hi Prophet...
The way to determine the size of a Damen tug is the number ...
In this case 2608 means 26m Long x 8m Beam....
I will have a look through my tug litreture for any info...
I have found Damen to be model freindly people and get sent their monthly building & Launch lists...

...Best Regards...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

Prophet

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 02:51:48 pm »

thanks for the info Norry, i have contacted them directly through there website, do you have any other contact information that i might not have? only one i could use was the contact email provided on site, phoning up is kinda of impractical being that there in the Netherlands i might as well buy the Tyne model, it would be cheaper then the phone bill!

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 08:49:28 pm »

Hello, I know that research is the interesting part of the hobby but when you are banging your head agin the wall with the lack of success, the time that it has taken to no avail plus the costs, you might as well bite the bullet and get the Tyne,s semi kit, at least you get a superb hull and superstructure,
                                                      Nemesis

Prophet

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 10:53:17 pm »

yes maybe but i will also get a divorce at the same time! im not prepared to give up yet.

anyone want to make a donation to the buy the kit fund? current pot.. £60! only £310 remaining!  {-) {-) {-)

hmsantrim

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 02:30:19 am »

hi prophet.
               Why don`t you try serco denholm as they own the thing do they not still carry plans of the ship onboard the actuall vessel
                anymore.  

http://www.maritimejournal.com/features/tugs,-towing,-pollution-and-salvage/tugs,-towing-and-salvage/the_new_serco_denholm_tug_fleet_is_rapidly_taking_shape

some pix inside

http://www.classictugs.co.uk/sd_jupiter_9476331_tug.html

cheers Frank
                                                 PS I have no Idea what the pink item of clothing the guy is holding up in the bottom picture  {-)

Prophet

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 11:47:58 am »

Well after a lengthy phone call, yes i phoned up yesterday. I have been sent via email 2 pd f files of 2608 Stan tugs, i have renamed them for simplicity, one is the hull design which i require the other is the superstructure that fits for the SD Hercules,, the plans are not ' technical illustrations ' but they show enough detail combined with the extensive photos i have to create the boat.

here are the links i have uploaded in case anyone else in intresrested ..

Correct hull layout
http://www.4shared.com/document/emkHmxQT/SD_Hercules_Hull.html

Correct superstructure
http://www.4shared.com/document/P-VjOCKe/SD_Hercules_Superstructure.html

Next part was more tricky since i can't get hold of a line drawing of the hull to construct my own i have searched around and found a 1/30th scale hull that matches the format needed, i was intending to build to a 1/24th scale so if anyone knows where to get this hull linked in 1/24th either in plan form or pre-built let me know!!

Pre-built 1/30th GPR Hull
http://www.kingstonmouldings.com/pddutchharbour.htm

Prophet

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 08:31:44 pm »

alright I'm back this is actually the second time i have written this post cos the dog jumped up and managed to clip the power off button! ..

OK .. here we go then I'm after more help with the same project and yet again its back on the hull....

i have been working out dimensions for a 29" hull , now the hull stated its 1/30 scale its proably is but not for this boat its not, 1/30 scale of a 2608 is actually 34", now to use that hull i would need to make my boat 1/35 scale which is to small for its use, i really do need it up at 1/30 or 1/24..
so heres my issue i have found similar hulls that match what i need, issue is its 1/35 scale so to small and a RTR kit, yup you guessed it its the CML Southampton, but its to small.

so heres my question... does anyone have or know where i can get hold of a plan of this type of hull, i am not worried about scale it will be rescaled but any plan of the hull so i can contract it from scratch any help locating it will be much appreciated.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 08:50:08 pm »

Too late at night to be converting metric to imperial and working out scales, but have you looked at Models by Design ?

Andy does a tug hull which is 40" long with a 10" beam.

ENGLISH STYLE TUG HULL.

http://www.modelsbydesign.co.uk/model_boats.aspx
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Prophet

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 09:23:42 pm »

Thanks for the link Dicky i had previouly searched there but i have double checked that hull is not what im after, the rear should be a flat 'square' section and the under side should be able to fit either twin fixed korts or moving, if you look at the dutch harbor tug hull i linked in 2 posts prior you will see what im after just in a larger scale, don't get me wrong there's nothing wrong with building it at 1/35 using a 1/30- hull, but it needs to be in the 1/30-1/24 scale so minimum of 32"  max of 42"  i know many will see me being to picky but i try to avoid smaller scales when building tug boats especially when this ones going to be a unique build as well as using it for towing and steering competitions.

only reason im asking for a plan is that simply the 1/30 hull will give me a scale model of a 1/35 for a 26m x8m boat so the plan is needed to construct the hull to the right size, ha ha i know im a pain but this build requires so much more information tracked than normal! but its going to be worth every moment i spend on it  :-))

Prophet

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 09:34:42 pm »

ok just for those who would like infomation on the scale of the boat all the figures ... here it is...

full size boat 26m long 8m wide.

simple maths now..

ok for 1/30 scale..

26m =1024" (length)

1024" / by 30 (30=scale) = 34.1" (length)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
8m = 315" (width)

315" / by 30 (30=scale) =10.5" (width)

For 1/24 scale

26m =1024" (length)

1024/ by 24 (24-=scale) = 42.6" (length)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
8m = 315" (width)

315" / by 24 (24=scale) = 13.1" (width)

might not help anyone but it might give you guys some idea what im on about if anyone's been confused   >>:-(

triumphjon

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 10:15:07 pm »

why cant you scratch biuld the right hull then take a mould from it to produce the two ships that you need ?  :-))

Prophet

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 10:22:33 pm »

with out the line drawings of the hull scratch building it is near impossible it will be a 'bodge job' rather then a scale replica the drawings i have are profile view only which only helps in offering up the hull to get the length but it wont give me the shape  {:-{ i could spend weeks making hull plugs out of foam and seeing which one looks best and if i can't get a plan of a similar hull that can be converted then i will have to look into that option but its really last resort im sure others out there have hull plans of the model slips ways Wyeforce or similar thats enough to get me in the right direction or even the tynes flying spindrift thouse plans at this point if they contain the hull lines will be the life saver im looking for  :-)) :-))

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 12:31:53 pm »

Hi Prophet, have you considered this Damen tug kit:

http://www.mobilemarinemodels.com/acatalog/Stan_Tug_1906.html       :-)

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 01:51:10 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiHb6yU60-o                      I spend far too much time on Youtube.   :}

Prophet

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 02:21:53 pm »

hull is right its just the wrong size in scale terms, the one i linked was bigger, it looks that i will end up building at 1/35 scale at this rate

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 03:27:41 pm »

Have you looked at a Model Slipway "WYEFORCE "hull...

It cant be too far away from 1:30 Scale... The shape isnt too far away either as i have used one for a Damen Stan Tug 1906...

At 33" Long x 11" Beam...You can ask Jackie to sell you a hull seperate...

...Best Regards...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

Prophet

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 09:45:48 am »

yes i have checked the hull from the wyeforce its fine, having worked out minimum scales i have decided that a 1/35 scale will be more then adequate for the job, the wyeforce is 1/24 scale at 840mm long the flying spindrift is 1010mm and the Dutch hull is 730mm at 1/35.
My main concern was that the boat would not be a decent size to do the job intended but after further study and based on my other models some are 1/42 scale and are 800mm long i think that 1/35 scale at 730mm long will be perfect for the job and not get my head chopped off by the wife who agrees that in material cost im looking at the £120-150 mark for full completion not including electronics.

originally i was looking at the flying spindrift and though that i would make minor conversions to it to match what i want to achieve, but with more though and the wife tapping a rolling pin in her hand spending best part of £400 to mod it seams such a waste of a perfectly good model and it would be a shame to take someone's hard work of creating such a nice kit for me to butcher it.

Carl_P

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 09:30:21 am »

Prophet, I was interested in those PDF's however the 4shared site states that the files are no longer available. If I were to provide an e-mail address would you be so kind as to fire them over to me?

Regards and all the best,
Carl

octo

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2010, 12:59:41 pm »

I also had the same problem as Carl, I'm planning some thing similar to your build
so I'm looking forward to how you progress, Cheers Tony :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.