Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Odyssey or Victoria?  (Read 7536 times)

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
Odyssey or Victoria?
« on: September 13, 2010, 06:14:29 pm »

Hi all,

Thinking of getting a sail boat for the pond as my mate has one and its very relaxing.

been looking at a few a would appreciate your opinions. Not looking for a kit, more of a RTR as I've enough on the go.

Saw these 2 on Cornwall's site, comments.

This,

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/tt-odyssey-ii.html

or this,

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/tt-victoria.html

Robert

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Odyssey or Victoria?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 01:42:12 am »

IMHO

Victoria, hands down.

The extra 17cm in length is a lot at this scale. Allowing the Vic to sail better. I looked at both of these for my first boat and the Odyssey looks disapointing in the flesh.
The Vic sails more than adequately out of the box, and if you do feel like upgrading there is a wealth of support for the Vic online.

The Vic needs assembling, rather than building. Apart from the need to glue the radio tray together there is mostly just assembly to do. It should take a competent builder a few hours only.
Martin (site owner) built one here http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4231.0
This will give you an idea of what to expect.

But if you do a search in the yacht and sail section, you will find more info.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Dekan

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 05:22:32 pm »

Victorias are now available, they have been out of stock in the UK for about 3-4months . :-))

Big price hike though my "local" model shop was selling them for £75.. they are now £105.... they claim the increase is due to Thunder Tiger retooling {:-{

Maybe this true but a £30 price increase... well it seems a lot to me, but it's still a good yacht, but not such good value for money now.

The Graupner Micro Magic is very good..get the racing version,the Robbe Comtesse is also worth considering.. It sails well, but is a bit bigger

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 05:59:06 pm »

The Victoria is a great sailer, and probably the best yacht that TT have produced.  The price increase still leaves it in a fairly competitive area of the market, and if re-tooling and the move has actually put improvements into it, fair enough.  Other factors in the increase could be currency fluctuations combined with Chinese entrepreneurial spirit.
As long as any improvements are, as it were, improvements.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 06:03:14 pm »

Topic renamed.    :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 07:15:05 pm »

Topic renamed.    :-)

Oh, ok...thanks for a the feedback, looks like the Victoria wins, and looked through Martins' build thread, pretty straight forward...thanks guys.

Robert

airwolf572010

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 02:00:37 pm »

Looks like both are good Pond boats.. I have now sorry to say this but 3 such types a Monsoon a legend and a century 850 sorry I also forgot surmount 850 and I enjoy them all its great fun... I reckon if your boat handles well stick with it then Hmnmm Ha Ha you will be buying another soon  haha its just great this hobby ..
Airwolf

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 02:51:04 pm »

Having sailed other boats first, the Chinese RTRs (Monsoon and Century 750) have only disapointed, due to comparativley poor materials (except the Monsoon hull which is nice, the rest of it is poor quality) and being under ballasted.
Others have the same opinion, it is not just me.

If you are lucky and sail where there is a constant light breeze the Monsoon is OK. But as soon as the wind gets up you have a problem.
The same will be true for all under ballasted sail boats.

I have seen a number of Century 750s with the carbon mast, and the mast splits (shatters) at the top. I don't know if the 850 has a carbon mast.

Mr Jiang knows how to copy boats, but he does not understand how to build them.

Airwolf
Once you get your IOM sorted and on the water, I think you will really appreciate the difference.

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 12:35:23 am »

Getting to the party a bit late. No question the Victoria is the better sailor of the two boats! The Odyssey strikes me as a remake of the Kyosho Fairway. There have been several others that followed the Fairwind, all very similar in appearance. Horizon Hobby's Proboat has released recently yet another similar looking boat they are calling "Serenity"
and a calling a 1M boat, which is funny as it is only 36" long or 914.4MM. I don't think their marketing people have any clue on metrics.

The Victoria is a very nice boat when properly rigged. Don't see the Odyssey getting to that level regardless, based on hull design. I owned a Monsoon for over two years, sailed it in a wide range of wind conditions and it did just fine. I made the modifications to it that have well documented on this and other forums.

Another recent boat to be released is the Vela, by AquaCraft. This is a 1M boat, aimed at Seawind shoppers. Nice looking boat, sold as RTS for about $350 USD. Check it out at Tower Hobbies.

What ever you get, have fun.
Windchaser

Dekan

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 05:19:44 pm »

I have never regretted buying my Victoria...most of the other Thunder Tiger boats seem to need a lot more work done on them to sail well.

I saw my first Kyosho Seawind sailing yesterday ..its owner told me that the hatch still leaks even on the latest kits...which I think is poor considering the problems been known for quite a while. but it sailed well enough.. but not any better than my friend's Robbe Sirius..

Lots of good yachts out there. but they are all either more expense than a TT Victoria or need a lot of fettling

wibplus

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 05:32:24 pm »

I have a Comtesse which I bought as a kit. It sails very well in even quite strong winds but is much better eye candy in light to moderate breezes.
I bought it from a firm called Conrad at a cheaper price than any model shop. Might be worth a look at what Conrad have on offer.   :-))

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 05:53:17 pm »

Getting to the party a bit late. No question the Victoria is the better sailor of the two boats! The Odyssey strikes me as a remake of the Kyosho Fairway. There have been several others that followed the Fairwind, all very similar in appearance. Horizon Hobby's Proboat has released recently yet another similar looking boat they are calling "Serenity"
and a calling a 1M boat, which is funny as it is only 36" long or 914.4MM. I don't think their marketing people have any clue on metrics.

The Victoria is a very nice boat when properly rigged. Don't see the Odyssey getting to that level regardless, based on hull design. I owned a Monsoon for over two years, sailed it in a wide range of wind conditions and it did just fine. I made the modifications to it that have well documented on this and other forums.

Another recent boat to be released is the Vela, by AquaCraft. This is a 1M boat, aimed at Seawind shoppers. Nice looking boat, sold as RTS for about $350 USD. Check it out at Tower Hobbies.

What ever you get, have fun.
Windchaser

Typo correction to my previous post - Sorry should read Kyosho Fairwind not Fairway. Must have been thinking about getting out on the links.

g4yvm

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 06:28:54 pm »

Ive got the Odyssey which I bought in a rush because I just wanted to sail something (basically I was recovering post-op and all the family were sailing real boats so I had to sit and watch...well "xxxxx" that, so I went out and bought the Odyssey).

Bottom line? Its a nice bridge between toy and model, it sail OK, it looks OK and it travels OK. It seems very picky with wind, requiring a rather select velocity band!

I wouldnt buy it again and I might not recommend it.  It sails infrequently now.  It was fun at the time though!

D

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 04:02:47 pm »

Ive got the Odyssey which I bought in a rush because I just wanted to sail something (basically I was recovering post-op and all the family were sailing real boats so I had to sit and watch...well "xxxxx" that, so I went out and bought the Odyssey).

Bottom line? Its a nice bridge between toy and model, it sail OK, it looks OK and it travels OK. It seems very picky with wind, requiring a rather select velocity band!

I wouldn't buy it again and I might not recommend it.  It sails infrequently now.  It was fun at the time though!

D

Just a note that might be of value to others considering buying a 1st boat that under preforms - The goal here is have a good first time sailing experience - getting a boat in this case the "Odyssey" that came up short of expectations and now sits on a shelf somewhere and the owner was discouraged, is unfortunate to say the least.

My first 2 boats both provided very positive impressions and have led me to years of enjoyment sailing, making new friends, learning about RC boats and aircraft and to owning in the area of two dozen different RC boats since starting. Perhaps my case is extreme, not sure, but I do know that it really helps when a new sailor's first impressions are positive and the right boat can greatly influence this.

I am sorry our friend didn't take to this great past time/hobby - Hope at some point he might give it another try :-))
Like many on the forum, I say "the more the better". Finding a local sailing club can greatly help new sailors head in the right direction.

Just sayin.................if at first you don't succeed, try again! O0

Boomer

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 04:37:21 pm »

Yup,
Have to agree with Boomer.
I also think that with all the rtr 'yachts' around,
too many guys who sail ep boats look at the
guys sailing rag and stick and want to give it a go.
Without a basic knowledge of the technique of
sailing a boat, new guys struggle and then blame
the boat . Most of the cheap Chinese sail much better
with an extra pound of ballast in the bulb but then
the shortcomings in rig strength becomes apparent.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 07:01:27 pm »

Robert I'm just up the  M way a bit from you and  PM me if you might be interested in my \victoria
Jay

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 11:57:10 pm »

I have a number of the Chinese boats mentioned above (Hurricane, Surmount, 2 x Monsoon, Discovery 500) - they vary a lot between models.
These are cheap boats, all need a bit of work to get them reliable. Avoid the Hurricane and the Discovery 500 - terrible...
The Monsoon (900mm) is a great boat for the money with some cheap improvements (change the rigging, seal the hatch properly). Surmount (800mm) is also good as a slightly smaller boat

A new boat just released into this market is the Dragon Force 65 (650mm) - this boat is getting great reviews and is likely to become a star in the future - it sails very well from all reports and a new class is developing for it... being smaller it is very easy to transport. Just make cure you have enough water to sail it in - it draws about 400mm....

Amateur at work...

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 03:14:38 am »

400mm  :o  Wow.

I am guessing she will sail very well in heavy winds, and cope with gusts nicely. Very stable  :-))

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 06:21:38 am »

Thanks for your comments, I bought a Vela just awhile ago. It sails well, but needs some work for rigging and de-rigging as its time consuming pondside.
Sails well though.
Jay, pm sent.
Not much time for hobby right now as we just moved back to UK and settling in new house, new job, kid in secondary...life.
Robert

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 01:23:22 am »

Thanks for your comments, I bought a Vela just awhile ago. It sails well, but needs some work for rigging and de-rigging as its time consuming pondside.
Sails well though.
Jay, pm sent.
Not much time for hobby right now as we just moved back to UK and settling in new house, new job, kid in secondary...life.
Robert

Robert
When time permits - check out this link:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1327983&page=69

It is link to another RC forum with a thread/discussion on the Vela. There have been more than 104,113 hits and more than 1000 comments -you will find it has just about everything in it you'd ever need or what to know about this boat.

Including the good, the bad and the ugly and how to get the most out of your boat.

Enjoy
Boomer

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 06:24:04 am »

im hearing a familiar theme song, good old Clint, thanks I will look into it.

Robert

g4yvm

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, 11:45:03 pm »

Interesting thread development.

To conclude my own Odyssey story; I gave the boat to my son who spent a while re-rigging it and tuning the thing.  He gets some good sailing from it, possibly because as a much younger modeller he has lower expectations for the "feel" of a good model.  I went out and bought a Dragon Force 65 because I really wanted a good benchmark boat and it is a dream.  Im really impressed with the DF65.  It runs rings round the Odyssey when we sail together, but the nice thing is, having two boat, we can sail together and thats fun.  I enjoy doing stuff with my kids and this fits the bill perfectly.

In fact my other son, well one of the others, wants aboat too now but cant decide which.  Ive suggested the DF65 but of course he really wants something the same but different.  He doesnt want much building because he's very busy with school but equally realises that a cheaper RTR WILL require bench time like it or not.  The search continues!!

David

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 09:39:13 pm »

Something the same but different.....

One way would be to add another DF65 and get a set of Housemartin sails for on of them.
Another new one just released is the Explorer from Joysway (check the same suppliers as for the Dragon Force) - this is effectively a DF65 but a bit beamier, said to sail as well as the DF65... 

Amateur at work...

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2013, 02:12:51 pm »

If you do go for the Victoria, a wise choice, look here before you start building. Lots of useful info and improvements to get the best out of it

http://www.okanaganmodelsailboat.org/Step-by-Step.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.