Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Bath TUG  (Read 5082 times)

mr sidewinder

A Bath TUG
« on: September 13, 2010, 11:15:10 pm »

Yes that's it big billys making a TUG out of bath tubs..so far looking good :-))
http://www.hullmodelboatgroup.co.uk/index.php?/category/Billys_Bath_Tugs

Prophet

Re: A Bath TUG
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 11:37:11 pm »

thats one crazy s.o.b!  thats one of them builds that requires a pair of barbque tongs rather then a pair of tweezers for fitting the detail parts!  :} :-))

hmsantrim

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 01:54:49 am »

hi.
       Brilliant!!      Now thats what you call creative ingenuity and extreme recycling.    :-))

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 02:49:52 pm »

Very interesting - certainly a very creative use of "source materials"! I'll be interested to see what the finished tug looks like.

I've also wondered about the boat potential of fibreglass/GRP bathtubs, in this case for a manned sailing boat rather than a R/C scale model. I often see old bathtubs discarded on skips and thought they would be the ideal shape for a barge-type hull if you cut the rim off! There seem to be quite a few technical problems, though, which I'm not sure how to solve:

- what's the best (and safest) way of trimming the fibreglass tub to shape?
- how do you fill the plug hole? (alternatively, if it's near enough to the end of the bath, could you put a piece of tubing into it and use it for the rudder post?)
- how to get a smooth surface on the outside of the tub? Would car body filler (or similar) work?

garston1

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 11:39:40 pm »

What did the missus say about the bath? %)

Jack.H

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 03:59:18 pm »

LOL ;)
ROFL :-))
SFIFTL :}

Jack.H

brianB6

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 10:24:27 pm »

We have been using them to race on the Yarra river for years.
"Geraldine Mitchell, Herald Sun, Tuesday, 15 March 2005"
"It was no canoe, but the balance and strength of Olympians Kai Swoboda and Andrew Farrance propelled them over the line in the celebrity bathtub dash on the Yarra River yesterday.
The champion canoeists teamed up against other celebrities to raise money for disadvantaged youth.
The Berry Street race attracted thousands to the Yarra River and was one of the highlights on the final day of the Moomba Waterfest.
Organiser Mark Kavenagh said one of the main aims of the race was to stay afloat.
But the rocking tubs were too challenging for marathon swimming champion Tammy van Wisse and motor racing legend Peter Brock's wife Bev, who fell in head first.
Mr Kavenagh said the antics kept the crowd entertained while the winning pair beamed as they collected their trophy."

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 12:23:29 am »

We have been using them to race on the Yarra river for years.
"Geraldine Mitchell, Herald Sun, Tuesday, 15 March 2005"
"It was no canoe, but the balance and strength of Olympians Kai Swoboda and Andrew Farrance propelled them over the line in the celebrity bathtub dash on the Yarra River yesterday.
The champion canoeists teamed up against other celebrities to raise money for disadvantaged youth.
The Berry Street race attracted thousands to the Yarra River and was one of the highlights on the final day of the Moomba Waterfest.
Organiser Mark Kavenagh said one of the main aims of the race was to stay afloat.
But the rocking tubs were too challenging for marathon swimming champion Tammy van Wisse and motor racing legend Peter Brock's wife Bev, who fell in head first.
Mr Kavenagh said the antics kept the crowd entertained while the winning pair beamed as they collected their trophy."

In Queensland some leave the plug out so they self drain and make it easier getting out when stopped.
 %) %) :o :o O0 O0

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 07:38:07 am »

Looking at a Bath tub I suppose that if you used the plastic type. It  already has a smooth outer finish. John.

brianB6

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 09:53:46 am »

Of course there is always the Henley on Todd regatta where how fast you run is more important than the way the wind is blowing.  %)

j22mdr

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 06:07:01 am »

what a brilliant idea a bath tug is

richald

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 07:51:36 am »

I'll be having my bathroom updated in a couple of weeks time
and the plastic bath will be removed and replaced with a shower
cubicle

so if anybody wants a bath (FOC) to have a go at this send me a PM !

Richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.