Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hillman Imps - Someone might be able to stop me!!!  (Read 16253 times)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Hillman Imps - Someone might be able to stop me!!!
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2010, 10:06:10 pm »

Officially a GOG.

davidm1945

« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2010, 11:49:13 pm »

Hi mogsy,
    I used to work for a Rootes Group dealership more years ago than I care to remember. The early Imps had sealed king pins that were supposed to never need greasing. In practice however these used to seize solid after a few thousand miles, which meant that you needed the muscle power of Arnie to turn the steering wheel. To solve this problem we would stand the car over a pit - one mechanic would heat the king pin housing to cherry red with a oxy acetylene torch while another held a long handled drift pin over it and a third belted it out with a 14lb sledge hammer! We then drilled and tapped the housing and fitted grease nipples and reassembled it with new bushes and king pin - seemples!

Happy days....

Dave.

mogsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2010, 07:26:51 pm »

Thanks for the Pistonheads link to Imp Shipmate. I know that site as I sold an Alfa on it two years ago. The imp featured on the link looks good but unfortunately I no longer have access to the car trailer I would need to pick it up. I'm still searching but more locally (M4Corridor and west country).
Thanks for the thought though
Mogs

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2010, 07:36:00 pm »

No Problem.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

triumphjon

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2010, 07:56:20 pm »

how far do you want to travel to collect an imp ?  i know of a few poeple with recovery trucks that operate out of bristol !  saw a couple of imps here two weeks ago , theyd been to an international owners club meeting at bridgewater in somerset , both cars loaded to the hilt with camping gear & on dutch number plates & lhd ! does say something for the reliability ?

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2010, 06:40:03 pm »

I remember a guy running a Mimpi (Imp running gear, mini body) in saloon car racing. It went like something leaving a shovel very quickly.
Alan

catengineman

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2010, 10:00:47 am »

Sunbeam stiletto 998cc (imp) gas ring cylinder head (not a gasket) tunable (YES VERY) did you know the Imp engine was down tuned to fit into the road car.
Roots Group used to race the Stiletto range.
Work on them is not hard ?
the twin Webber carburetors and four branch exhaust, turn the cam shaft cog around and gain a lot more power, as for the "over heating" if the radiator was allowed to get road grime (well it is just behind the N/S/R wheel) then it would run hotter and then as the engine is all Aluminium and the two center cylinders have slightly thinner walls there was always a possibility of distortion but the gas ring idea stopped that.
One let down was the "doughnuts" on the drive shafts. the Stiletto was 'decambered and had servo brakes,
Yes I served my apprenticeship on them with the Roots Group.

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2010, 04:50:30 pm »

Mogsy,

What about a Riley Elf or Wolseley Hornet - or are they just Minis in nice suit?
MG Midget/ AH Sprite is another option.

Nordsee

« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2010, 05:09:42 pm »

AAAAAHHHHHHHH! Finny Minis!The MG looked nice though.Saw oth parked side by side in a Tescos Car Park in Margate. While taking a photo the owners came along, Man and Wife, She drove the Riley. Nice to see them still on the road.

mogsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2010, 10:25:00 pm »

Imp master plan has taken a back seat for a short while as I've just spent a bundle on a 1970's vintage bed.
Photo's to follow but I'd been after one for years so when it turned up Mrs Mogs and I jumped at chance.
Maybe when you lot see it my fascination with all things pre 1980 will become more obvious.
Camera on charge - will post pics on weekend
Mogs
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.