Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trawlers rigs and rescue  (Read 6286 times)

mikgo

• Full Mayhemer
Trawlers rigs and rescue
« on: September 15, 2010, 08:20:15 am »

HI
I have been watching a series Called trawlers rigs and rescue on Bravo. A very good series giving a good insight on the north sea oil rigs and ships and also trawlers. You get some very good close ups of the Ships and equipment they use along with the Lifeboats.
if we didnt have boats, we'ved  have webbed feet

octo

Re: Trawlers rigs and rescue
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 07:26:02 pm »

I too have been watching the programme, I found it an excellent documentary as well. Good as a referance. Tony

Wasyl

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 07:56:14 pm »

Never again, willI moan at the price of a Fish & chips,after seeing what it takes to catch them,

Wullie

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 08:50:57 pm »

Just shows the type of weather the fishermen go out in....

Davie Tait,
Scotland

Tombsy

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 09:24:30 pm »

Fantastic show! We just started getting it in Canada, it's great to see the lifeboats in action.
A good show that is filmed over here is "Ice Pilots NWT" check it out if its shown in the UK.
One episode has a poor mechanic changing out a radial engine at -30 on the tarmac.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 10:01:43 pm »

I didn't realise the sea got this rough.... where's the top gone??!!!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 10:33:09 pm »

Thats not a bad day Martin just another normal day in the office lol , That boat was a Bridlington based crabber but is now crabbing out of Peel , Isle of Man. I have photos and video taken out at Rockall back in the 1990's on the Fishery Research Trawler Scotia showing boats fishing in F9+ now 240nm West of Stornoway in that wind is rough as hell.

One trip we broke the anemometer when it went above 120 knots of sustained wind for over 20 minutes , the bearing melted and the shaft snapped !!!

The fishing industry is safer now , by a long way , than when I started in the 1980's but it will never be safe. Nature of the job with wires/chains/trawl doors/clump weights and 2 nets being worked that there are a thousand different things that can happen to injure you or worse. Its not the most dangerous job in civilian life for nothing.

Davie
Davie Tait,
Scotland

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 09:11:00 am »

Just be aware that they can and do jazz it up for television and the Directors/Producers know the square root of nothing in respect to what they are filming.

The other night, in relation to anchor-handling ops offshore, they kept referring to "anchor-cranking" and "anchor-crankers" as if they had just discovered some new and exciting terms. It should have been 'anchor clanking/clankers' but the wrong terminology made it all the way through filming, editing and transmission without correction.

Like all of these programmes they are made for the general public on the basis of finding the most dramatic shots and presenting them with a breathless, awed commentary.   Let's face it, would the majority watch if they were simply shown routine operations?

Barry M

octo

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 09:12:38 am »

Scarey photos Davey, glad you displayed them, nearly had me "up chucking " behind the settee, yours Tony.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 09:37:25 am »

Trawler Wars starting soon on Discovery

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

wbeedie

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 12:25:15 pm »

This is a show I didnt really rate along with another they made with a different name but same program but like Davie a former trawlerman so know all to well the price of fish and what goes into get it ashore

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 12:37:18 pm »

I didn't realise the sea got this rough.... where's the top gone??!!!

Never thought I'd say this about a boat - but that is one ugly yellow thing.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 06:25:14 pm »

Both Barry and Wullie are right , the recent 4th program from last years final Trawlermen series showed how they cut together different hauls to try to make something normal to a fisherman look more dramatic than it really was. If the fishing industry was , in reality , the way its been made out in both the Trawlermen and Trawlers/Rigs and Rescues then no one would go to the job.

The fishing is going through tough times , by far the toughest times in living memory , just now with another 50 boats being taken out of the fleet in Scotland just so the remaining boats have enough days they can fish ( how can any business survive when a whitefish boat can only work 120 days [ 150 with a transfer from another licence ] or a prawn trawler 200 days at sea per year ?? ). I have seen Aberdeen go from over 120 boats in 1984 ( both Aberdeen owned and regular boats from other ports ) down now to no more than 6 boats with only a few hundred boxes of fish landed per week instead of the 10-14,000 boxes per day back in the 1980's.

Peterhead and Fraserburgh have both suffered in the same way. Since the 1980's the fleet has shrunk by around 60% in numbers and when you consider the severe restrictions on days-at-sea they are allowed , the tight quotas and the fact that the prices of fish and prawns have not gone up , if at all , by much since 1990 when fuel has gone from £240 a ton to £500+ per ton now you can see the problems.

The latest 50 boats to leave the fleet mean that 300-320 fishermen will now loose their jobs and as 6 jobs are maintained onshore for every 1 at sea Scotland ( the NE corner from Buckie to Peterhead ) will loose 1800 to 2000 jobs plus the 300-320 so no less than 2100 jobs will go in the next month or two from the industry and they will never increase again.

All I would ask is that if you are buying fish ask for UK caught fish and if you like Langoustine's ( Prawns ) keep asking your local stores to stock UK caught to support whats left of the fleet.

Oh and Andy I think if the wheelhouse was a little larger and set slightly further aft she would look "normal" but she is very well designed and built for the job she has to do and as a working boat function has to come over form sometimes
Davie Tait,
Scotland
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.