Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rubber corner strip?  (Read 3991 times)

moley

Rubber corner strip?
« on: September 14, 2010, 05:24:28 pm »

Hoping this is in the right place.

I'm looking for a supplier of flexible corner (right angle) strip that I can use to protect the deck edges of my boat against knocks and scrapes.  Can't seem to find anything anywhere!  Can somebody point me in the right direction?  It needs to be about 20mm x 20mm,  rubber would be ideal,  but any flexible material would do.  Black preferred.

Prophet

Re: Rubber corner strip?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 07:45:56 pm »

windshield washer hose and brass chain as a tug fender something i have used in the past,  you could use a car fan belt or car cam shaft belt as the both have teeth in them which is ideal for the look of a fender in other areas, also try here

http://www.harbormodels.com/site08/tires.html USA site

or here

http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/res1tf1s/id12.html UK

My other trick is to cut a hose pipe in half (about 15mm in diameter) and pull it taught against a length of batten, secure it down with some screws in the end then fill it with some 'black' silicon let it set, once dry pull it out of the pipe and you will have a nice smooth curved rubber 'fender' or protector that you can cut to your own size. remember different hose pipes can have different internal finishes either smooth or woven depending on the quality of the pipe.

moley

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 08:26:07 pm »

It's for a fishing bait boat so I don't care how it looks  :-)

I'd also like to use it to glue the deck of the boat to the hull.  The deck is 6mm ply and there's no lip on the hull.  I'm hoping to use the edging strip to physically connect the deck and hull.  The only other way I can think of is to glue balsa triangle to the inside of the hull,  rub it level with the top edge of the moulding,  then glue the deck to that.

I'm hoping to kill two birds with one stone by using some sort of corner strip.

Prophet

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 08:54:58 pm »

OK don't try attaching a deck with rubber, your gonna cause yourself issues trust me on that one,,.

OK get some strips of wood say 10mm x what ever thickness but at least 2mm .. and glue then to the inside of the hull 6mm below the deck level.. and glue the 6mm deck to the top of the 10mm strips this will hold the deck down firmly and seal it so no leaks and at the correct level all the way round.
 To attach the rubber you can use super glue that works but try a decent contact adhesive evo stick or similar that will hold better and take more impact damage since its flexible and wont 'crack off'

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 09:05:25 pm »

Might be worth a look here

http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 10:16:30 pm »

Excellent source Longshanks ,  thanks for posting the link. :-))
..well can you land on this?

triumphjon

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 10:43:12 pm »

a source ive used previuosly with very good results are PENTONVILLE RUBBER PRODUCTS , PENTONVILLE ROAD, LONDON  , sorry i cant remember the post code or telephone number , but they sell all profiles including automotive screen seals ! i used to buy "d" profile hollow section that was exactly the same as the rubber used on the lifeboats / truck rear bodies !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.