Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Liberty Ships  (Read 17224 times)

long bill

Liberty Ships
« on: September 16, 2010, 03:32:55 am »

I am currently building the Deans liberty ship - Robert E. Peary.

Does anyone have any source for the details of the deck rigging for the booms and cargo handling equipment?

Thanks much,

Bill M

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Liberty Ships
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 03:59:28 am »

I have some deck shots of the John Brown if that is of any use. I can scan them and forward them to you.

John

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 09:03:43 am »

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Bob_V

• Full Mayhemer
    • Luton & District Model Boat Club
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 09:11:26 am »

Some information of possible interest is available here.

Click on 'Naval History Index' followed by the link to 'Liberty Ship "Robert E Peary"'

http://lutonmodelboat.co.uk/frame_history.html

Bob Vaughan
Bob Vaughan

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 03:54:39 pm »

Bill, I've compiled a CD with just about every configuration of derricks (or "booms" as you call them) including the "Libertys".
All those WW2 ships were pretty basic for obvious reasons. "Forts", "Empires" and so on were basically rigged the same. All with steam winches (included on the CD). The "heavy lift" derrick (a puny thing by modern standards) is included.
Also included are many photos of both ships and detail. Many harking back 60 years to my cadet days.
I'm more than happy to send you a copy of the disc for free...
Send me either a PM or use my e-mail address that is under the "profile" button. Regards. Bryan Young.
Notes from a simple seaman

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
    • Miniature Merchant Ships
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 07:21:56 am »

Here is a little one I built some years ago.    ST. HELENA ex SAMLOYAL.
Bob
Regards
Positive

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 10:27:06 am »

Here is some
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

long bill

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 04:09:49 pm »

Thanks much for the pictures.

The Deans plans and instructions don't show any of the details and I like to be as close to scale correct as possible.

Deans customer service sent me some sketches that help a lot, but I don' understand why this detail can't be included in the plans or instructions.

Bill M

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 01:21:50 am »

John Brown pics.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 01:23:03 am »

John Brown........

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 01:24:01 am »

John Brown.........

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 01:25:26 am »

John Brown.........

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 01:26:41 am »

John Brown............

long bill

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 02:05:16 am »

Thanks much for the Brown pictures.

I visited her in July in Baltimore.

I was so impressed that I signed up as a volunteer.

I hope can get back to Baltimore for some of the work parties they have,

I called them yesterday and found out that they have a set of plans for $25.00 that I think I'm going to buy.

They were out on a 9 day cruise.

I sure wish I lived back in Baltimore as I would be spending a lot of time working on her.

Check it out:  http://www.liberty-ship.com/

Later,

Bill M

hmsantrim

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 06:28:41 am »

Hi Bill.
        Some pix of my deans liberty rigging.

cheers frank.

long bill

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 02:00:38 am »

I'm still working on my Deans Liberty ship.

Making slow progress.

It is a shame that this kit is such poor quality, but I still think it will make an impressive model when finished.

I have decided to make it a static model.

Am I the only one or are there some others out there that think the Deans kits could be a lot better???

I think it wouldn't take very much effort to be really first class kits.

I really like the Deans line up of models, but I wish the instructions  and the quality of the materials were better.

I must say that Deans has been very good abut replacing items when I ask for them.

Later,

Long Bill

deadbeat

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 01:52:38 pm »

I entirely agree with you about Dean's kits, I've just finished HMS Nubian, pictures on this site, and sometime ago HMS Solebay.

The quality of Nubian was very poor in spite of receiving a so called MOD11 overhaul, goodness knows what it was like before. In both kits there was a reasonable model trying to get out but oh what a pain. With very little effort these could be good kits, but at the moment they are not value for money and of the kits I have built they are the worst quality of all. I shall not be building any more.

With Nubian the fittings were poor, resin castings poor, hull poor, technically inaccurate, instructions dire, and a mismatch between the fittings shown on the plan and the fittings supplied, the printed plastic card very inaccurate, etc.

Solebay was better, but still with problems.

xm506

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 10:28:35 pm »

Hi,
I am also rebuilding a Deans liberty aquired from fleabay, is there any information for the anti torpedo nets carried by some liberty ships? they look like fishing nets attached to the sides of the rear mast.
Cheers,
Steve.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 11:13:33 pm »

Hi,
I am also rebuilding a Deans liberty aquired from fleabay, is there any information for the anti torpedo nets carried by some liberty ships? they look like fishing nets attached to the sides of the rear mast.
Cheers,
Steve.

Do you have pictures of the netting?

John

xm506

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 05:17:13 pm »

Hi,
These are the only ones I have

The wreck of the Richard Montgromery 1944, stern view.

From the web.

The nets in use.

The model as I aquired it.

The model as it is now, the nets are from bird nut feeders.
Cheers,
Steve.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 06:11:19 pm »

No idea what the nets are for. I can't see them being torpedo nets as they are only at one end of the vessel and of lighter construction that is traditionally done with torpedo nets.
Nice looking model though.

John

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 07:06:10 pm »

The following taken from the book "The Liberty ship"

" The cargo handling gear also generally conformed to that of the boxed aircraft transports, this consisting of extra length booms necessary for the working of heavy loads at long hatches, plus the usual 30 and 15 ton derricks. Additional gear fitted to some of the ships consisted of the british style "admiralty net device", this being long booms hinged to both port and starboard of the forward and afte masts. These booms, lowered when attached was threatened, had a steel net hung between them parallel to the sides of the ship - so placing an underwater screen between the vessel and it's opponents torpedoes however this equipment was not a great success resulting in reduced speed and spoilt steering qualities.

Hope this helps
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 07:25:57 pm »

I stand corrected. Interesting info. Here is some more showing the nets deployed:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_br_v3400_0423e.pdf

John

Tynebank

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2011, 01:18:38 am »

One of my aims with my modeling was to build the 3 ships that I served my apprentice on in early 50’s. one being the S S Ivybank a liberty ship.
When in Melbourne 5 or 6 years ago I purchased a copy of General Arrangement Drawings also the Hull Lines Drawing of the General Liberty Ship to scale of 1-96.
I intended to scratch build the model some time in future.
March/ April 2009 I was goggling to find as much information on liberty ships when I came across the Deans City of Ely.
Looking on Deans web site I found 2 liberty ships, City of Ely and the Hudson Gate price difference of about £30. I emails Deans re difference in price with Deans reply (The Ely has been re-released to modern kit standards hence the price difference)
Thinking that if get a kit I would save a lot of time in building the hull, also I should be able to get items that I would have to scratch build.
I enquired on cost City of Ely kit plus a suitable motor, gearbox, coupling and brass prop.
In May 2009 I ordered the Kit etc and paid me money. Kit arrived early June.
When opening the box I found that the motor gearbox had not been fixed down. Had been moving around in the box on its travels to Australia, had broken open some trays of parts which therefore floating around in box, Also no prop in box.
After some protracted exchanges between myself and Deans all was sorted of sorts. Although the guy I was e mailing did not take to kindly when I said that some of the white metal parts needed a lot of work on to make them suitable for use.
Like others on this site, my opinion of the Kit is that it is very disappointing.
The Fiberglas hull I had approximate 10Kgs sitting on the timber keel in resin for a week, it still had a 5mm hollow in bottom which I have since filled with styrene sheet and car body filler.
I would say that 75% of the white metal parts are useless or incorrect.  The plastic cowl vents fell apart in my hand. 2 of the 3 masts were not straight. I could go on.
The etched ladders and hand rail stanchions are well done I must say.
I have relied on the G A Drawings for all my building as there are a few discrepancies between the kit and it. I have found that my hull is 8mm too wide and 10mm short.
I have now built about 70% of the model, mostly scratch built or bits obtained from others, at present I am scratch building 10 winches, the Deans one would need to much fettling to make them presentable, but they do not look even close the winches in photos on this forum.
  I am well advanced in the build, so if you should need any help in avoiding all the pitfalls in the Liberty ship kit, please contact me at rob.lees@people.net.au

I could put some photos of build if some one could tell me how to make photos smaller and how to past on this site.

Cheers  Have a Good Day

Rob

xm506

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2011, 11:17:47 pm »

HI,
Can any one supply a photo of the forward 3" gun, as supplied by deans, assembled, as I have a collection of parts that do not look like they go together.
Cheers, Steve.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.