Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Aisne a Battle Class conversion  (Read 24944 times)

pugwash

HMS Aisne a Battle Class conversion
« on: September 17, 2010, 11:41:29 am »

This is my build of HMS Aisne a battle class destroyer converted to a radar picket destroyer along with
three others in the late 50's.  MY wife bought me a Deansmarine Solebay kit which I hope to successfully
convert into Aisne.  For those that do not know the class the first photo shows Solebay and and the second
shows Aisne after conversion and how I hope my build will look on completion.
There were no plans available anywhere so I spent the first three months studying photogaphs and drawing
my own.
From the Deans kit I have used the hull, turrets, funnel, rudder and a few small parts.  To this I have added
some Sirmar and John Haynes parts (adapted as required) and the rest is scratch built. The printed plasticard
from the deans kit was cleaned with meths and then redrawn and re-cut so all mistakes on the superstructure
are mine not Deans.

Geoff

pugwash

Re: HMS Aisne a Battle Class conversion
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 05:20:39 pm »

I haven't included much about the hull exterior in my build as its a standard Deans hull fitted with a Raboesch prop shaft
and propellor it was then sanded as per normal and fitted with cammet portholes and frames. 
I then had to make and fit the anchor platforms, prop guards and the squid splinter shield paint and and fix depth
markings and pennant numbers.
The hull interior next - now that was more of a problem

Geoff

pugwash

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 11:15:18 pm »

Good evening,  the original plans for the build was to have a full lighting harness - navigation, fighting lights
and some interior lighting. I them decided I would not be sailing her at night so I decided the electrics would be
for two radar scanners - one on each mast,  both 4.5 gun turrets and the gunnery director to rotate together
two 6v smoke generators(1 only had a pathetic smoke output) and finally a computor fan under the funnel
which would do two jobs - take away some heat from the motors and boost the smoke coming out the funnel.
The stern was straightforward fit the rudder servo, fit the motor battery between the prop shafts.
From the motors forward the wiring has been re-fitted three times and I heeded the forums advice and fitted
fuses and a control board from Dave at ACTion.  after that the drive and power has been no trouble.
Between the fuse boards is a 3v battery box to run a micro geared motor on the main mast radar.
Forward of this is the space for the fan and smoke generators
It's in photo 3 I had the problems and there is a spaghetti nest of wires - Buried deep out of sight are two viper ESCs
and Daves control and distribution board then another 6v SLA to run fan, smoke, turret motors and the bedstead
radar on the foremast. The turrets and director each have a 300/1 geared Jotika motor controlled by the servo sitting
in the wooden frame.  There is probably some gloriously simple electronic way to do this but my  way does work even
if it looks a bit Heath-Robinson.  I couldnt use geared shafts to run the turrets because I couldnt fit a shaft to the
forward turret.  to get power to the sperstructure I make 4 spring loaded terminals ( in the white plasticard fitting and
made up other spring loaded terminals to run power to the main and mormasts as I wanted to take off the
superstructure withoug having them connected by a miriad or wires.
I works on the bench - we will see about the lake -  I promise more pictures and less print in future
Geoff

pugwash

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 11:21:09 pm »

The small battery box sitting on the front 6v SLA are to run  the turrets - I found they went round far to quickly
at 6v so I had to reduce power to 3 v.  As you can see I had to remove the combing on the maindeck and
round the forward gun turret so that I could have all the superstructure in one piece aft and to include to
turret with the forward superstructure - Yeah clear as mud isn't it.
Geoff

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 08:12:20 am »

Dont know how you got so much in the hull Geoff, I had trouble with just the normal stuff.

Looking good though.  :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

pugwash

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 12:33:47 pm »

This is the stage I am at now - the main blocks of the superstructure are built and painted in grey, the smaller
items have still to be painted like the decks, lights, vent grilles etc. I am now going to concentrate on the bridge fitting out
as in the last photo  and the focsle  - I like two areas to work on firstly if you have a boring part you can have a break and
do something else and you can switch to something  different whilst the paint/glue is drying.
Geoff

pugwash

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 01:08:32 pm »

Time for an update.  I have made up the 8 whip aerials - 4 for the bridge and the rest on the aft superstructure.
The focsle is complete with the exception of the Jack staff - haven't at this stage decided whether it will be raised or lying on deck
as it would be at action stations.  The bridge superstructure is complete except for guardrails/stanchions(last job I will do)
the whips are temporarily in place but will be removed until completion as they are sure to get bent during the build.
The deck at B turret has to have the liferaft holders made - there were 8 on the original so I will  them all together.
The next job will be the quarterdeck and the foremast.

Geoff

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 04:45:14 pm »

Looking very good  :-))

pugwash

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 06:55:11 pm »

Thsnks but I wish I were somewhere near Tomasz' standard.

Geoff

pugwash

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 09:33:43 am »

Just one more I found of the Bridge interior.
Geoff

bassplayer1

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 09:33:29 pm »

Nice work Geof!!! That's a nice looking boat!

pugwash

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 10:51:21 pm »

kalaspera, bassplayer thanks for the compliment - but I'm a long way from your stardards yet but I do think there is an improvement
form my first model (though as I learn how to do things better my eyesight seem to deteriorate at the same rate)
Geoff

DARLEK1

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 11:13:54 pm »

It looks great, but as I found later with the eyesight, use a magnifier hat thing like I have at almost all times. Doc's advice.

Paul...

pugwash

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 02:20:55 pm »

Time to paint the mast.  I decided to use the airbrush to get into all the corners of the lattice mast and finish off any overspray and
neaten any edges with a brush. It probably took more time to mask of the mast than it did to paint but I am happy with the result.
The last three photos show everything placed on the hull.  The masts are now complete with the exception of halyards on the foremast
type 277 radar on the mainmast and the H.F. mainroof aerial which goes between the two masts.
The next jobs will be to complete the fittings for the quarterdeck and make the seacat and its director (already made two and scrapped them)
Geoff

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 04:58:34 pm »

It looks Fantastic Geoff :-))

I like the look of it compared to the Original Battle class

pugwash

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 05:10:41 pm »

Thanks gingyer and I have not forgotten your plans - just haven't been near Newcastle yet but its still  on the list of things to do
and you did say you were in no hurry.
Geoff

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 05:14:15 pm »

HI Geoff
Thats correct no hurry when ever you are able is fine  :-))

soldier151

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 12:54:38 am »

Hi Geoff,
Fantastic model, great attention to detail, would love to see it on Killy Lake anytime
Cheers Chris

rathikrishna

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 05:26:18 am »

Oh my god..Sir..i do not have words to explain it...its an effort far beyond ones imagination...sure..

pugwash

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 05:02:14 pm »

Finally got all the fittings made for the quarterdeck and made the Seacat director and altered the Launcher plus all
ammo lockers etc, finally a coat of paint then a brass rod fitted to just about every piece to help them stay in place
when I clumsily knock the model.  (as I'm bound to do)
It has taken much longer than I anticipated due to having a frozen shoulder (right arm and ofcourse I'm right-handed)
Biggest problem was that I decided I wanted the director open for business and with figures manning it and not covered over
with its canvas cover.  Big mistake - its not perfect now but you should have seen the three directors I scrapped  and as for the
canvas cover - SWMBO was getting royally hacked of with my moods.
Next part will be fitting out the radar motors on both masts and the midships superstructure will also be completed.
Geoff

farrow

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 05:53:21 pm »

Superb model, seeing it takes me back to my childhood when I used to watch em, beautiful vessels.

pugwash

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 09:32:00 pm »

Thanks O.D. must admit I enjoyed my 2 1/2 yrs onboard. It was a happy ship - not always the case.
Geoff

steve pickstock

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 09:34:31 pm »

Man, that is so pretty.

bassplayer1

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 01:33:33 am »

Looking really good! :-))

pugwash

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 02:50:32 am »

Thanks Yannis - How is your submarine coming along - looking forward to the next post.
Geoff
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.