Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Aisne a Battle Class conversion  (Read 24948 times)

Yarpie

Re: HMS Aisne a Battle Class conversion
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 09:22:00 pm »

Pugwash,

excellent build and wonderful attention to detail.

Do I detect a couple of cable clamps holding the Ensign Staff to the tripod on the quarterdeck?? Good bit of utilisation.

They do have their uses don't they? :-))

Keep up the good work.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 10:53:21 pm »

Hi Geoff, a real work of art, fantastic detailing esp the masts and radar, a credit to you sir.

Hope your keeping well, and kind regards from 'god's little acre'   Tony. :-))

pugwash

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 11:49:41 pm »

Thanks very much Tony - feeling great at the moment as have just watched City beat Forest.
Yarpie Thanks but no they are just two slivers of brass soldiered arout the ensign staff - I never thought
of cable clamps - would have been easier to do.
Geoff

rathikrishna

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2010, 09:34:22 am »

Sir..i salute you for the great works...its unbelievable ..god may bless you...and expecting a lots from you as creations...surely its all inspiring...

pugwash

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2010, 02:02:00 pm »

DISASTER DAY - Due to frozen shoulder and the fact |I now have steriod drops in my eye for the nex six weeks
because of something called iritis I cannot do any fine work on Aisne so today I decided to do a second stability
test in the bath as I have added rather a lot of electrics some of which have had to be quite high up.
Just to be on the safe side I only put a few inches of water in the bath - good job as she immediately tried to
turn over.  Back to the drawing board - the model is already down to its correct waterline marks so I cannot
just add weight to the lower hull but must todally strip out and try to lighten the whole model fit a different type
of battery  and Then add the ballast under the battery boxes.
Will update in a few weeks time OR will turn it into a static model.
Geoff

soldier151

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2010, 12:29:27 am »

Hi Pugwash,
Sorry to hear about the IRITIS which is inflammation of the Iris, can be quite painful.  Just take it easy fella and keep taking the drops.
How you coping up in Amble with all the dreaded white stuff, 12" down here in Killingworth.
All the best
Soldier151

pugwash

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2010, 01:43:08 pm »

Thanks Chris - drops starting to take effect. not so painful now but still got  very blurred vision. Started on
lightening the boat - first job the resin turrets need hollowing out so it now looks as though there is more snow
ni my den than outside - just got to make sure I dont drill right thru. the turret.
Beng on the coast we now have only about 6 inches of snow left - just the side roads are bad, as long as we
don't get any more for a bit.
Geoff

Yarpie

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2010, 08:56:20 pm »

Geoff,

sad to hear of your eye problem and also the bouyancy glitch on your excellent model of HMS AISNE.

Unfortunately Deans destroyer hulls, or any others for that matter, being pencil slim, do not lend themselves to any superfluous topweight. (I built HMS CAVALIER from the VERULAM kit). Everything above the waterline has to be as light as possible.

Looking at your images of the hull, the boot topping is slightly above the fourth row of plating, so there is no margin of adjustment there. (One of the easier 'fixes', I use the lower edge of the fourth row of plating for my boot topping line on all three of my destroyers).

It is a great pity that you have this problem and the only way that I reckon you can solve it is to remove the extra electronics, ie the bedstead and main armament drives.

Nevertheless it would still make an excellent static model with the existing drives. The attention to detail is superb and the model is a credit to your craftsmanship.

Here's hoping for a complete cure for your irisitis and success for AISNE whatever you decide to do.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2010, 09:29:20 pm »

Deans models are normally pretty seaworthy if built according to the instructions but there is obviously little margin for error with destroyer hulls at this scale. The ability to carry extra gear is obviously going to be very limited and weight and its distribution will be absolutely crucial. Sometimes it's just not possible to square the circle.

Colin

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2010, 11:39:25 pm »

Pugwash,
Don't get too despondant yet, I had the same problem with a 1/100 scale WW2 German Destroyer Z15.
On mine I did as you are and lightened as much as I could above the waterline.
Mine had 2 x solid resin funnels so new ones were made from Deans vacuform Narvik kit.
But she was still unstable and on her lines.
I replaced the 2 x SLA batteries with 1 x MiNim battery and laid some lead flashing along the keel.
This transformed her stability and she now sails in a North Wales huge lake with absolutely no stability problems even though she now sails on 8.4 volt pack.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

pugwash

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2010, 11:56:59 pm »

Thanks for your comments - I knew I was probably pushing the stability limits with the extra electronis circuits,
so I have started to strip things out - so far all the turrets and directors which are solid resin  (total weight 197g)
have been drilled and hollowed out now they weigh  110g plus the circuits motors and servo etc being removed
has taken off another 157g - all this weight was reasonably high in the boat as it was the only place left to put it
I am going to try and keep the radar motors (only very small) the two smoke units and the cooling fan as they
are reasonably low down -. the two 6v SLA will go away for the next build and two new NIMH which are half the
weight AND because of their size can fit lower in the hull. Finally if I have to \I will fit a false keel which  can be
removed if I want to put it on display (Strangely SWMBO quite likes them on display)
When they did this conversion in 59/60 they had a similar problem and had to put 15 tons of concrete ballast
in the bilges to counteract the weight of the huge new mast and the double 965 radar aerial  and she still
rolled like a pig in a beam sea or wind. In the Irish Sea once the Inclinometer on the bridge was hard against the
stops and 35 degrees so we don't know how far we actually went - but the pucker factor started to register.
Geoff

pugwash

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2010, 12:08:01 am »

Sorry Bob missed your post - In my case I think its the mast causing the problem its all made of 1mm angle brass
and the Mainmast is .9 .7 and .5 brass tube but it still weighs a lot.  I did try the 1.2 angle plasticard profile but it
looked far to clunky and out of scale - I have the batteries on order though so when they are fitted I will have taken
off about 1 1/2 lbs already.
Going to see what else I can pare down.
Geoff

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2010, 10:13:13 am »

As Bob says. these problems are not insurmountable. My impression and experience of Deans models is that they sail very well if built to the instructions. However, the method of construction, which is shared by most other kit manufacturers means that there is very little spare weight capacity  in the smaller slimmer hulled boats and some of that is usually needed to trim the ballast according to what motor, battery and radio gear is installed. Plasticard is actually quite heavy compared with plywood giving similar strength and rigidity and large solid resin items carry a lot of deadweight not to mention the white metal fittings! So if you want to add items to the model then you have to take away corresponding existing weight which is not easy if you are well advanced on the construction process.

When I built the Deans little steam yacht Medea I did have some concerns about the stability and weight carrying capacity of the model due to its very fine lines. So I substituted a plywood main deck, drilled out the resin fittings and substituted a much lighter rudder for the white metal one. The batteries were NiMH high capacity cells lying in the bottom of the hull and all I added were some brass portholes. The finished model was as steady as a rock and sails beautifully which suggests that it would have been perfectly OK had I just used the materials that came with the kit. I am presently building one of the Deans Compact kits as a review model and the instructions explicitly warn against enhancing it by adding third party metal fittings to the deck as this might compromise performance - that seems fair enough to me.

Anyway, persevere and it will come right as Bob assures you.

Colin

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2010, 07:07:49 pm »

Hello Geoff, hope the eye and shoulder is showing improvement, what with that and your build difficulties hope you ain't feeling the strain too much.

Times like that I tend to walk aways a while, let the old cells recharge and return looking to take up the challenge with a bit more gusto and confidence.

Anyway Geoff, static or otherwise it's a fine looking model and have enjoyed the log, Take care and kind regards, Tony.  :-))

pugwash

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2010, 04:09:14 am »

Just a quick update and no photos this time.  I have solved the stability problem and have gone from sla to nimh batteries of slightly greater power and
half the weight.  I lightening the superstructure and hull I have caused some minor damage which will tke a short time to repair and I should be
back on the home straight just after the new year. She is now 1.6 kilos lighter.
The main parts left to make are the whaler and cutter davit system (apparently unique to the four converted vessels so I have to design and build them,
the 8 large liferaft platforms, catwalks.  Booms, scrambling nets and then its the tedious job of guard-raills and stanchions.
See you in the New Year and I hope its a good one for you all.
Geoff

rathikrishna

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2010, 06:41:06 am »

Sir..happy to hear..but must take care of your health..take your own time to finish it...gently...have a nice day...

Yarpie

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2010, 11:56:34 am »

Geoff,

great to hear that you have found a solution to your topweight problems. Look forward to seeing more images of this stunning model.

Meantime, as Rathi advises, take care, and Seasons Greetings to you and yours. :-))

rathikrishna

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2010, 03:14:32 pm »

Good evening Sir..i hope your health is ok...i will pray for you all by this night as i have singing and keyboard play at my Church Goddess Mother Theressa.at qurbana i will pray for you all...Merry Christmas and happy new year...Sir take care of your health and eye...

pugwash

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2011, 10:44:27 pm »

Well overdue for an update and as my eyesight has now been back to normal for a few weeks I have managed to get some
more work done.
All the liferaft stowages are now fitted and the for'd end has been completed as far back as the bridge with stanchions and guardrails.
The davits have now been made and fitted (most awkward job so far trying to get something like the correct shape)
I have started fitting and painting the stanchions and some guardrails on the after superstructure - after painting
I will repaint the green decks as the photos have highlighted the state of them
Three ladders round the foremast area waiting for painting and fitting.
The funnel guy wires can now be fitted - the after wire fits onto the bar which runs between each davit arm  and when everything
stanchion is complete I will rig the main HF aerial wires which run between the masts
Definitely on the home straight.
Too much time was spend on the ballast problems and then the blurred vision.

Geoff

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2011, 11:12:27 pm »

Very nice Geoff, are you doing anything with the scuttles ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

pugwash

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2011, 12:00:15 am »

No Dicky - I eventually intend to put figures on the bridge,  seacat deck, director deck and squid mount in action
rig as if she was at Action Stations so all the scuttles would be screwed down with the decklights lowered - hence showing
the grey inserts.(though I may glaze them with a very thin perspex )

Geoff

pugwash

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2011, 07:57:36 pm »

Welll Aisne is finally finished -  glued on the last bollard this morning and delivered her straight to the NE Model boat show.

I thought I had plenty of time to fit all the small parts like whip aerials and HF aerial wires, funnel guys etc then all the parts that I had stored in boxes
and did not want to fit until the last minute as I'm quite clumsy.

Geoff

pugwash

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2011, 08:09:05 pm »

Last few pictures -
The last picture is a 1/100 figure sent to me by Stan of this forum - German preiser make - you can get about 190 figures unpainted
for about £35  He painted it in american Naval working rig and as a little experiment I made up a Tommy type WW11 tin helmet
(we were still using them in the 60's then added the anti-flash gear - this was just a 5 min trial so I think I can do a better job with the
helmet and will then add figures on some of the weapons and on the bridge when she comes back from the show.
I will also be re-laying the deck from the bridge aft to the quarterdeck - its tone major thing I am now satisfied with (lots of minor things though)

Geoff

brianB6

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2011, 10:23:59 pm »

Fantastic, especially that rardar but please change the nut in front of the prop. it spoils the whole thing.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2011, 10:42:08 pm »

Looks AWESOME  :-))

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.