Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Aisne a Battle Class conversion  (Read 24959 times)

mikearace

Re: HMS Aisne a Battle Class conversion
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2011, 10:47:21 pm »

In the true spirit of reserved understatement.......................very nice indeed.  Brings back memories of a day at sea on Agincourt in 1965

pugwash

« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2011, 12:08:51 am »

Brian - noted - I fitted it because if comes fitted to the Raboesch propshaft - if it isnt needed I will happily take it off
as I never liked it there anyway

Geoff

brianB6

« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2011, 06:54:19 am »

There ought to be a knurled nut  (not just what I feel like at the moment after a big working bee  %)) or some shape that looks more in keeping with scale ships.
I must look out for ideas.

Yarpie

« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2011, 09:29:33 am »

Well done Geoff, the model is a credit to you and your determination. :-))

Fantastic detail.

pugwash

« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2011, 10:54:14 am »

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

Gingyer if you still want the plans I have now finished with them and you could have the set I used for the build
(they have been under the glass top on my desk so the should be clean and tidy ( I never did get back to the printers)
I still have the original drawings I did if I need them for anything.
Let me know - Just dont expect too much - my name is geoff Not Jecobin.

Geoff

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2011, 01:17:33 pm »

PM sent Geoff  :-))

pugwash

« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2011, 12:34:43 am »

When I did my last post with photos I said I was not happy with the way the s/s sat on the main deck so I was going
to remove it and get a better fit and replace it, then having got a box of preisor 100/1 figures I was going to add crew members.

After rebuilding my den to give me longer worktops and more storage space I started today. First job was to remove three small screws which
secure the S/S.  Just started the first screw when the screwdriver slipped and my hand smacked into the model and knocked of a set of stairs
and turned a long section of stanchions  and guardrails into what now looks like a section of barbed wire from the trenches.
Stepped back from the bench to see where the stairs had gone and felt something under my foor - yep the stairs.
D*** I could understand it if I had started on Friday the 13 but this was still Thursday. Will come back tomorrow
when I have had a re-think.
Geoff

pugwash

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2011, 09:48:08 am »

I tried using pieces of lead flashing curved round the bilges of the boat at bow, midships and stern and she sits quite
nicely on the water but I think is too tender and likely to turn over in anything except millpond conditions.
Going to have to bite the bullet and fit a removeable keel. 
I have a blow torch for melting the lead but can anyone suggest what I can use to make to moulds.
the keel will be torpedo shaped in two halves and the piece attached to the bottow of the hull
will be sandwiched between the lead halves and bolted through.
The two pieces of lead need to be about 1/2 inch deep and 6 inches long to make up a lead bulb about 1 inch in diameter
Is plaster of paris any good for molten metal?? Or is there anything better.

Geoff

brianB6

« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2011, 11:14:30 am »

Plaster of Paris is probably OK.   I have used casting plaster (SWMBO uses it for her sculptures) with fair results but you MUST allow it to dry completely or the lead could turn the water into steam with dire consequences.  {:-{

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2011, 01:57:32 pm »

As Brian says Geoff, whatever you use as a mould make sure its perfectly dry before you use it.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

deadbeat

« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2011, 02:31:43 pm »

I built Deans Solebay and had no problems with the way she sits on the water, mind you I did pack a lot into it. I have two Astec ESC, two 7.2v NiCad packs side by side, a mylar speaker under the funnel, three Astec sound generators fwd, plus an amp, and all the rc gear as well. Even then I put extra weight into her to ride at the proper waterline. As an original Battle class she does not have the top hamper that Aisne has, especially the 965 so far above cg.

Lovely model I congratulate you.

As an aside I got thrown off the Aisne, whilst I was an inquisitive apprentice in HM Dockyard Portsmouth, while she and Barrosa were awaiting disposal me and my made went on a self-guided tour, it wasn't approved of by the officer standing by the ships. Grumpy s*d, lol!

pugwash

« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2011, 04:03:48 pm »

Thanks folks will give it a try with a very dry mould of plaster of paris - if for any reason that doesnt work
I have some oak which I could rout  out as a mould.

Geoff

pugwash

« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2011, 09:41:04 pm »

Well after several lead keels and trials for ballasting I got her pretty well stable. Kept putting off the day when I
was going to go for the maiden sail just in case she did a Titanic.
This evening was perfect (though the photos weren't ) on the River Coquet at Warkworth these are the best
(will definitely have to show SWMBO how my camera works as the video clip was a complete washout)
Geoff

mikearace

« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2011, 10:14:52 pm »

Well it was very very nice out of the water static but its now also very nice on the water with a nice authentic heel when turning hard.  Impressive!  I will be happy if my Yarmouth looks only half as good and stable when she hits the wet stuff, although I have this feeling when shes first finished she may as likely or not roll on wet grass!!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2011, 01:06:44 am »

mikearace says ... " its now also very nice on the water with a nice authentic heel when turning hard.  Impressive!"

O0 ...yes pugwash.......I am sure we second that comment....... :-))    very impressive ....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

pugwash

« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2011, 12:27:41 pm »

Thanks for the comments.  She had a nice scale speed but as she only has a single rudder ( about 1 1/4inches square)
 set between the props she has rather a large turning circle.  Next boat I may think of making the rudder a bit over-scale.

Geoff

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2011, 12:46:33 pm »

Looks great Geoff  :-))

horatio123

« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2011, 06:28:22 pm »

She looks great . I built HMS Agincourt from David McGregor plans some  35 years ago and she is still going strong , I had to rebuild the deckhouses and fit a new deck some 4 years ago , the originals were in balsa and had started to split . I used plasticard for the new parts and managed to use most of my scratchbuilt fittings . Sails nicely on the water and very stable but not good in heavy weather due to low freeboard of the main deck . Your model lokks excellent congratulations .

pugwash

« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2011, 07:20:59 pm »

Thanks for comments Gingyer.
Horatio I think if I had stuck to the Deans marine model of Solebay she would have been stable as well it was those two masts
that caused all the problems - done in 1mm angle brass but the weight started to mount up.  Just like the real one - she rolled
almost as badly as your Ton class and they reckoned they would roll on wet grass.
By the way your Nurton looks spot on.

Geoff

brianc

« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2011, 09:03:45 pm »

Glad you got it sorted in the end Geoff :-))
It was worth it mate...it looks the dogs Do Da`s O0
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.