Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Restoration Project  (Read 2698 times)

airwolf572010

Restoration Project
« on: September 19, 2010, 10:44:27 am »

Hi all here is one of the boats I am restoring at the moment... Its just arrived so I havent started on her yet.. She is 1080mm in length and believed to be from 40s era..
Perhaps someone can advise me is this an actual plan of a Yacht or someones idea which they have built .. I would be interested to know as the person is no longer with us
but the workmanship on this boat must have took a lot of work and care and love I believe..She looks like has never had R/C put into her and could have been a free sailer.
Anyone help or got any comments.. Would be appreciated..

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Restoration Project
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 11:21:23 am »

Looks like it might well be a free sailor.

There is a horse for the jib sheet, metal bar running across the width towards the front.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

airwolf572010

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 11:30:41 am »

Thanks tiger yes Im a newbie but not bad at the craftsman stuff... will try however to change to R/C without changing too much of original details
Tks
Airwolf

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 11:58:36 am »

Hi, thats a very nice looking yacht.  Can you show us a photo of the stern where the rudder post comes through the deck?
She is a little like the American Soling class (full size) yacht, very attractive, I don't recall plans of that length 42.5 inches.
How much does the boat weigh?

I wonder about your date of the 40's as in the U.K. wood was at a premium then.

Do you have the sails, I know they may not be much good but the dimensions will help a lot in making new ones.  Is that a luff groove in the aft edge of the mast?

I have restored a few yachts and I am jealous!
kind regard Roy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 12:09:56 pm »

Hello Airwolf, I have just seen another posting and see that you are in Australia so ignore my bit about the 1940's and UK.
My son lives in NSW and is a keen full size sailor.  I think I know all of the plans around the 1950's and on from Model Boats magazine and this one is not in my memory.  (Otherwise I would have built her).
The weight of the boat will give the best guide to how much sail area to fit.  Good luck with her, like I said I am envious!
regards Roy

Prophet

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 12:23:46 pm »

What a Beautiful bit of craftsman ship, you don't see this type of work today very often, you must do her justice in the restoration then im sure she will give you many years of sailing pleasure.

airwolf572010

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 12:34:55 pm »

Thank you all for your kind comments... Yes the mast is with her I will try and show you photos they are a wee bit small but it might help in determining some more help from you all and tks Roy for your comments... will get her weighted correctly but if you look again the little pikkies might help

airwolf572010

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 12:45:47 pm »

As I said sorry pikkies are very small... Once I get her unloaded will give all dimensions and ask for help re sails etc and many thanks for all your replies so far
Its just terrific..
Just for interest here is another boat I acquired for my collection just starting ...The Chap who owned it didnt have time for sailing etc so I got it for a good price
She is a One Metre International Class built in 2007 in Brisbane Australia for Competition.. Caption stated built and designed to Win... Dont know history or if she ever did..
Airwolf

Little Rascal

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 11:17:34 am »

Hi airwolf!

Looks post-war to me. The cabin and doghouse (raised roof with bigger windows) is a later design feature in full size yachts. Plus it's got plywood in it from your pics (?) so I would guess late 40's - unless the cabin was added later.

The 'retrousse' transom (reverse angle) is also a later idea in full scale boats.

The shallow keel and self-tacking jib indicates a free sailer too.

She looks lovely!

Jon

airwolf572010

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 10:20:32 am »

Hi all I hope these pikkies work out ..This is the Mast and sails with rigging that came with the boat. She weighs in at 7kg exactly
and LOA is 1080mm .. Hope that helps and would I be able to R/C it without to many changes..
Airwolf

airwolf572010

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 10:38:47 am »

Hi again now pikkies worked out here is Sails that came with the boat little tear near the top of the mast but not to bad if original sails.. Mast was broken near top
but easy fix as clean break.. I think I was very lucky as rigging is all there I just need to know how to join to deck fittings.. Is it with Pins or ???..I have also added a couple of more pikkies of the stern and top decks also the Mast fits into the hull and not on the top as some modern boats..

Airwolf
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.