Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tug Towing Electrical setup  (Read 4860 times)

Prophet

Tug Towing Electrical setup
« on: September 19, 2010, 01:36:43 pm »

Im about to plan my electronic requirements for the stan tug build, i have looked around for suitable set-ups and have an idea on what to do, but some input from you tuggers out there might help, this tugs going for the towing and steering competitions next year so i need it to extreamly power full and yet give me around an hours run time.

here my plan , but if you have others that would work better let me know,

Start off with 2 MFA 950D Single Ratio Metal Gearbox 6:1 (6-15v) fitted with suppressors

Linked with actions p94 duel esc/mixer unit (15A fuses between motors ) or 2 20A esc's with actions p40 mixer ( cost factors in here i can get high power esc's cheaper then the p94 that will do the same job and cost less to replace should they go bust)

p94 linked to the p102-3 motor power distribution board

p102-3 powered by titan 12v LA (not sure if 3AH or 7AH is needed here so advice please)

off the p102-3 to power the bow thruster a Graupner Bow Thruster (1785) i can use either actions p93 multi controller with a 10A fuse or use a cheaper 10A esc

then obviously the p102-3 distributes power to the rx/ rudder etc etc,

any thoughts on this or other decent set-ups will be helpful, i am on a budget and i would like to think i can build this set-up around the £100 mark , if using all action parts the setups coming close to the £200 mark its not a problem to cough up that, i just  have to think of worst case that im away and something blows if im using cheaper esc's i can afford to carry replacements, where as carrying a spare p94 is a little impractical.

thanks for the advice in advance

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
Re: Tug Towing Electrical setup
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 05:23:50 pm »

To work with any v-tail plane mixer,could I suggest an esc with a simple push-button memory facility?
It might make life easier.
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

Prophet

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 05:31:24 pm »

the mtronics esc's have that function i am able to get a discount on those items at my local model shop, which is my option to use, i don't like the use of vtail mixers, as normally they don't allow control over the amount of mixing its generally 100%/50% on a turn for this i would need to bring it down to around 35%/100% or similar i like the tuning function on the Action mixers anyhow, i just want to know if my set up is going to be powerful enough for the task its going to preform or if there are other set ups that will do the job but cheaper on my pocket.

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 06:01:16 pm »

I meant if you are considering...

If you only have to  push a button to store the 100% throttle point then where is the problem?
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

Prophet

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 07:07:45 pm »

The point of a mixer is to speed one side up and slow the other or speed one and reverse the other, in conjunction with the rudder position, this allow the boat to turn better & faster which is what is required with this type of boat considering its job  basically it has to spin on the spot, the mixer along with the bow thruster will aid in that ability making it very manoeuvrable. This is a twin prop set-up not a singular, with fixed kort's not 180 rotating.

I fail to understand your point ' If you only have to push button to store the 100% throttle point then where is the problem?' there is no problem i know what im doing and how to achieve it, my only question is and has been since the start is that will my set-up i have picked do the job i need or are there other or cheaper ways of doing it.

Fitting twin mtronic esc's require them to be programmed to the max and min throttle before use, or your going no where!, the use of the mixer enables me to control throttle for both motors and turning in conjunction with each other on 2 channels, the bow thruster on a 3rd, and the winches in and out on the 4th and the 5 will be lighting or something similar.

the Action p94 does 2 esc's and a mixer in one unit but at a £80 cost my alternate suggestion would decrees the overall cost by around £20 which is half the cost of the p40 mixer paid saving me money.

I don't mean to be rude but your last 2 posts haven't helped at all im not sure if you haven't understood my original question correctly in regards to my set-up. i would ask polity to go back and read my original post and make sense of what i have asked to what you have said , you comment over 100% programmed throttle is meaning less in conjunction to the mixer doing it job over 2 esc's and motors, my 2nd reply was based on the fact that vtail mixers generally are not programmable, and i would rather use An Action mixer in this case as 'vtails from planes' really are for planes' there are more factors in play with an aircraft that enables a normal vtail to do the job thats why there normally 100%/50% where as the action allows the programmability of controlling each esc separately to aid in turning on the spot, one thing air craft ( excluding helicopters) can't do.

As i said there is no issues with my set-up, im generally checking if its going to work as well as i hope it will, if there are other set-ups that will do the job better, or if there are set-ups that do the same job cheaper.

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 07:52:44 pm »

Hi Prophet if you are going to tug tow with your tug then in my opinion tank steering with steerable Kort's and bow thruster is the ultimate in control also with working winch.

if you can get to Blane moor on the 10th October you could try both types we are having a tug towing marathon  for all lol with as many tugs and tows on the water as we can muster it will be a great day

Prophet

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 08:21:34 pm »

i had considered steerable kort's and its still a real possibility to use them, cost is a factor when building and the wife only allows so much for my indulgence, do you have links to steerable korts? i have one link to the Graupner ones at £90 a pop

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 09:00:20 pm »

Prophet,
Here are some good quality and very reasonably priced Steerable Korts.

http://www.marksmodelbits.com/

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Prophet

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 09:08:51 pm »

I have found these which are an accurate match for the hull im using, due to the shape of the hull (theres a slight v shape in the rear 'flat' section, which is part of a stan tugs design) i am unable to use 180 degree knorts and have to use these with a fixed shaft, hence my use of a bow thruster, to aid in the turning ability. the fixed rudder is ok to use as i have founds in the past but it does lack that 'quick spin on the spot' which is why im adding the bow thruster, this will give me not only a tighter turn radius but also aid in crabbing,

http://www.mobilemarinemodels.com/acatalog/Fixed_Rudder.html

The tug will be mainly used for towing rather then steering but i will enter into a few events as a solo activity, this stan tug is one of two being built ( my brother is to have the 2nd ) we will be a team pair, his will be a 1608 which is for the front ( pull ) enough power to move the object and direct it so it does not need to be as powerfull as the 2608 ( mine) which will control the rear and do the corrections to keep the stern in place. ( its not my first time at a towing event  ;))

if you have any better suggestions im happy to hear about them,  :-))

captain ron

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 09:43:26 pm »

Models by Design had some nice korts for sale at Birchwood.

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 09:59:16 pm »

Hi Prophet  the Kort's from MMM are great as too are the new 60mm's from MMB as i said if you can have a go with steerable if you know anyone with a boat fitted with them you will be pleased i am sure

Prophet

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 10:10:35 pm »

you mention steerable kort's there are 2 types ones with built in prop that can basically turn near 360 the others do a 45 degree from centre, i am able to fit twin 45 steerable what kind of setup would i be looking at using those rather then fixed ? i want to be able to stick with the single throttle rather then tank steering for pure simplicity any suggestions im open to anything so even if the tank steering option is better what's the set up you would use there?

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 10:14:02 pm »

Hello, If you use a fixed Kort put a becker rudder behind it . Normally a towmaster nozzle( fixed kort) has
about three rudders behind, each one can be operated individually to give the result required.
                                    Nemesis

Prophet

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 10:20:08 pm »

yes i have seen those i use duel rudder on my old tug fist blade moves about 45 degrees the rear section moves near to 90 this gives me great control but it dose struggle to crab sideways it moves more diagonal, which is ok for that tug since it was my old 'leader' while i learned the 'ropes' have you a link to 3 bladed rudders for fixed korts please ?

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 10:37:01 pm »

Steerable Korts, pics on "Whats new from MMB" Thread.

Bob
Officially a GOG.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.