Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello and a plea for help with basic radio setup...  (Read 7671 times)

Redshank

Hello and a plea for help with basic radio setup...
« on: September 19, 2010, 02:31:41 pm »

Hello from the bonny banks of the Crinan Canal in Argyll, Scotland.

I have just taken the giant leap into the world of rc boating by purchasing a Joysway Offshore Warrior Lite,
I think many of the old hands here would deem that as a toy, but it's a start for me, Now the HELP part,
I have a paralysed right arm, so my left hand not only holds the radio controller but has to operate the controls as well.
Now the Joysway comes with a pretty basic radio in the style of pistol grip with trigger and wheel, but I find the trigger a wee
bit insensitive, it's either all or nothing, and the wheel is to stiff to turn and again is a wee bit insensitive, maybe because I am trying to
do 2 things at once, now the question is, would a Futaba or Hobao controller be any easier to use with only the left hand ?
now idealy I think a pistol grip and trigger would be great to control the speed, but for directional control a joystick mounted at the back would
be the easiest option, now I call upon your vast and extensive knowledge, has this been done before, if so by who, if not who can I get to build such a thing.

If I can get over the control hurdles, then I can see myself getting very much into the boating world,

If anyone is interested, here is a link to my part of the world, my house can be seen from the air at 8 mins 40 secs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00thy74/Coast_Series_5_Glasgow_to_Edinburgh_via_Caledonian_Canal/

Best regards

Chris

Prophet

Re: Hello and a plea for help with basic radio setup...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 02:43:51 pm »

one handed option...

buy a 4 channel transmitter & reciver

your boat should be fitted with a esc for the motor control and a servo for the rudder

both sticks on a 4 channel tx move left and right forwards and back you will only need to use one stick!

u will be using channels 2 &4 on one stick ( left hand stick) only!

plug the esc into the recivers port 2 ( forwards and back) plug the rudder into the recivers channel 4 ( this is the same stick as forwards and back but the side to side motion) once its all plugged in reset the esc to the new transmitter and off you go .. one stick forwards and you can flip it left and right to stear while at speed  :-))

enjoy one handed sailing  :-)) or more should i say 1 finger!

oh before i forget .. the tx you can fit a neck hold onto so the tx is held around you neck and balanced on your tummy so its really is one handed i forgot that!

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 03:06:39 pm »

Chris , Welcome, I`m at the other end of the Caley. Your link doesnt work for me.   Have a look at the Springer thread, for obvious reasons , your next boat ?!  Single hand R/C is no problem as Prophet says.
..well can you land on this?

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 03:10:36 pm »

I have a paralysed right arm, so my left hand not only holds the radio controller but has to operate the controls as well...

A lot of flyers have the similar requirement of wanting to hold the sticks but not support the transmitter as well. They use a 'Transmitter Tray', a little platform which they hang round their neck and attach the transmitter to, so that it rests in front of them like a desk. Here are a few links - you can easily find more...

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1588&highlight=glue

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=732

Redshank

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 03:15:02 pm »

Thank's Prophet, yes I can see your advice makes sense, though at the moment I am technically and terminology challenged I feel I am getting there.

I am now thinking a smallish radio with finger loops fitted to the back for a firm grip whilst the thumb does the work, any ideas on a smallish 27 mhz radio ?

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 03:17:12 pm »

Hi Redshank

Welcome aboard. :-))

You have had some good advice, although it may seem complicated.
Put simply.

There are many many ways to hand a radio around your neck.

Most 4 channel radios have 2 channels on each tranmitter control stick.

with 2 channels you can control most boats.

It is just a case of setting them up. You will get lots of help on here. :-))

In answer to your last. Most small radios will be 2 channel. i.e. one channle on each stick. 4 channel may suot your needs better.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Prophet

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 03:22:26 pm »

don't even go with 27mhz... get into 2.4ghz no crystals to worry about, you can control muliple boats with a single tx as long as you buy more rx for each boat, you have no fear of clashing with others boating and there just as cheap! check this out..

you need a minimum of 4 channels

cant beat this for value!
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/gianitcod-24ghz-4channel-mode2-transmitter-p-403779.html

if you want to add a thumb loop twist a rubber band around the stick and loop a rubber '0' ring to it then slide your thumb into the 0 ring for control  :-)) or you can drill a hole take a keyring loop and thread that through, either method works

Prophet

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 03:51:55 pm »

heres how the controller will work

left stick controls all functions

the little silver thing in the middle is where you can attatch a neck harness to,
http://www.247models.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/3198?osCsid=0cefcc89a7c8e33017f6f07838fc7c6a

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 07:24:03 pm »

Every body gives good advice--- But--- as you said you don't speak the lingo  
 T/x = transmitter (Radio remote control box) there are 3 basic types  27 MHz , 40 MHz & 2.4GHz   These are the frequencies Bands they work on But 27 & 40 MHz use marched Crystal's (ie; a  T/x (transmitter) Crystal and a marched R/x {Receiver) Crystal's to work and the 2.4 sets do it electronically
 27 MHz is the older cheaper radio  BUT it is normally only 2 channels  (L/H stick moves up and down ) and is usually used to control the motor  the R/h Stick moves left & Right and is used to control the rudder ...As you only have use of your left hand this would not be very suitable for you
 40 MHz set can be 2 ,4, 5, 6, or 7 channels...  on a 4 channel set you again have 2 sticks  a left hand one and a right hand one ... the difference being both the left and right hand sticks move up and down and right and left ... it is very simple to make the left hand stick control the motor [ up & down}amid the rudder [Right and left}just by plunging the speed controller and the rudder servo in to the correct sockets
 The 2.4 sets are the latest gear on the market and doesn't need crystals to work but is programmed like a mini computer and is 2 to 7 channels like the 40 MHz ..
   The basic control system you will need will be 1, T/x, 1 R/x , 1 speed controller[for the motor] , 1 servo [for the rudder] 1, Receiver battery pack 4.6V & 1 drive battery pack 6 or 12V for the motor  and chargers for the battery packs
Hope this helps you
Freebooter  :-))
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 08:06:23 pm »

A discussion about the Offshore Warrior here
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=23940.0
According to that thread, good control is vital, since the performance can be startling.
To keep operation as simple as possible, a 2.4GHz set is favourite since some of the lowest cost ones are still multi channel.  To get both speed and steering on one stick, the least amount of transmitter is going to be a 4 channel. 
Rebuilding a 2 stick set to have a single, 2 function stick is not really an option.  The Giant Cod sets cost about the same as a very basic 2 channel 27MHz set, and have the advantage that there is no further expense for extra channel crystals.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

hmsantrim

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 04:44:48 am »

Hi redshank.
                 I am just wondering as you dont speak the radio control lingo who is going to fit the gear in the boat if you buy some and
                 set it up.  Hard enought for us able bodied folk wi twa erms..

If you are stuck I could probably supply the 4ch 27mhz tranny and set up the boat for you if you could manage down to
                 Glasgow.   Although Loch Fyne is a bit of a ways out in the wilderness to travel from. 

cheers Frank    :-))

Stiggolas

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 01:06:15 pm »

Hi Peeps

I think the OP is talking about the Offshore Warrior Lite. This comes RTR with an ABS hull and everything you need. The Offshore Warrior in the other thread is the fibreglass hulled version, lighter and more powerful. Both are stupid fast!!! (for me anyway!!).
I'm not sure about the speed controller in the Lite, but I've got the even smaller model Magic Cat and this has a combined ESC / receiver. If going for a different radio system, you need to budget for an ESC also.

Redshank

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 02:32:14 pm »

Aye indeed my boat is the offshore warrior light, I looked inside it this morning, and I saw the motor, the servo for the rudder, and a sealed package with 2 wires going to the motor and a ribbon strip of wires going to the servo, I guess it's not going to be an easy conversion ?

Prophet

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 04:07:47 pm »

Its this simple....

on/off switch is depending on the esc some have a built in one's, you can fit a on off switch between the tamiya connectors of the battery to the esc if you want, on some models i have the esc has no switch and i just plug the battery in for power and disconnect for off. depends on how you want it.

see how easy that is :-)) :-))

Wasyl

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 08:32:49 pm »

Hi redshank.
                 I am just wondering as you dont speak the radio control lingo who is going to fit the gear in the boat if you buy some and
                 set it up.  Hard enought for us able bodied folk wi twa erms..

If you are stuck I could probably supply the 4ch 27mhz tranny and set up the boat for you if you could manage down to
                 Glasgow.   Although Loch Fyne is a bit of a ways out in the wilderness to travel from. 

cheers Frank    :-))
Loch Fyne,jeesus its a good while since i,ve had some nice Loch Fyne Herring,years ago the shops were full of it,now there,s nane,whaur have they a gone, <:(

Wullie

Wasyl

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 08:40:49 pm »

Here Frank, Crinan,s only 96 mile fae Weegieland,you could get on yer bike an meet him half way,..the exercise will dae ye guid, {-)

Wullie

Redshank

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 08:57:02 pm »

Ok, many thanks, as it just so happens a package arrived this morning, 1 x rx and 1 x tx from giantcod
have only had a chance to have a quick look, and it would appear that the rx unit has pins in 3's for each terminal,
according to your wiring diagram the 3 core ribbon wire has to be attached to channels 2 & 4, I can grasp that concept,
my problem is how ?, do I have to cut the wire and afix plugs, as there isn't nearly enough room for me to solder the wires to the terminals.

Sorry to be a pain in the ass

Chris

sailorboy61

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 09:05:05 pm »

Ok, many thanks, as it just so happens a package arrived this morning, 1 x rx and 1 x tx from giantcod
have only had a chance to have a quick look, and it would appear that the rx unit has pins in 3's for each terminal,
according to your wiring diagram the 3 core ribbon wire has to be attached to channels 2 & 4, I can grasp that concept,
my problem is how ?, do I have to cut the wire and afix plugs, as there isn't nearly enough room for me to solder the wires to the terminals.

Sorry to be a pain in the "xxxxx"

Chris

Chris, there should be a little flat black plug on the end of the 3 core wire from your ESC and rudder servo...these just slip into the receiver....just get them the right way round for polarity.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 09:13:02 pm »

Your 3core ribbon wire should have a plug on it, dont solder it to the receiver.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Redshank

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 09:34:34 pm »

Well looking inside the boat I can see a blue servo the operates the rudder, from it runs a 3 core ribbon cable into a lump of plastic cover silicone thats shrunk wrapped around the components inside and from the opposite end of this runs 2 wires to the motor and another 2 to the battery, no black plugs to be seen ?

hmsantrim

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 10:34:07 pm »

Hi Chris.
           Well Well every one has assumed that because your item is a Ripmax issued product that it has Futaba servos obviously not the
           case.
          It may be a traxas servo in a waterfroof case, also sounds like the reciever (if there is one is encased in a waterproof housing)
         which will have to be opened up to see whats hiding underneath.
        I my experience of RTR models there may just be a circiut board and no standard receiver, take the ubiquitous seaport for
        instance it has a circuitboard and rudder servo of a sort. 

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/car/item/TRX-2056-Servo-high-torque-waterproof-blue-case__2726/

however well informed our posts may be here, for a beginner I think our boy may have bit off more than he can chew.

cheers Frank 

Tugwash

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 08:38:43 am »

These Black plugs you refer to are actually the connectors at the end of a servo or esc and plug into the reviver, they look like this

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 09:04:11 am »

Topic renamed.  :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.