Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seapot Tug - First Time Model Boat Build  (Read 4041 times)

GrafVonJon

Seapot Tug - First Time Model Boat Build
« on: September 19, 2010, 06:41:26 pm »

As a newcomer to the hobby I was just about to embark on a, somewhat daunting, scratch build from a simple set of plans.

However, when I went to my local model shop to get materials I found out they had just received a ton of second hand boats that they were selling off.
There were some very impressive scratch builds, but amongst them was a Seaport Tug that they wanted to get rid of for a tenner.

After reading about these little cult boats on this forum I thought maybe a scratch build was too much too soon and couldn't resist picking it up for a tenner.

So, I've had a busy Sunday stripping it all down, binning the innards and beginning to rebuild... Although I'm really sure what I'm doing.

This is the progress (mainly destructive) so far.
I have cut away all the 'pins' from the deck and sanded it down,cut the battery cover in half so I can create my own cabin a little further forward and generally been trying to figure out what to do with the rebuild.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Seapot Tug - First Time Model Boat Build
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 07:06:27 pm »

That's a lot of boat for a Tenna!   :-))

What is she going to be modelled after?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

GrafVonJon

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 08:14:40 pm »

I know, I was lucky... Right place, right time I guess.

It's going to be based around a steam tug, after being inspired by Edward Pinniger's amazing-looking model in this section of the forum.
Mine won't look anywhere near as good though.

Can't beat steam power and yesteryear. If I turn out to be any good at this boat malarky I might consider splashing out on a working steam model one day. Bit too pricey for a new fascination though. Got to see whether I stick with it first.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 08:34:15 pm »

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

GrafVonJon

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 10:24:52 pm »

DickyD,

That's the look I'm after. Very nicely put together.

Can I ask what scale figures you used, and where you got them?

Pretty confident about the build, apart from swapping the motor. I'm not sure I want to tackle removing the propshaft, but if I leave it in then I'll have to work out how to remove the plastic coupling and fit a decent universal joint. Have seen a couple of posts on here where the coupling has been removed with a Dremel (or similar) but I don't know whether to cut away the coupling only (IE the white plastic bit in the first pic of the original post) or if you're meant to cut through the brass rod. If it's the latter, then there will hardly be anything left to attach the universal joint to  {:-{

Can anyone shed any light?
Oh and the figures too... :-))

GrafVonJon

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 10:27:09 pm »

Sorry... I didn't see there was a link to the thread detailing the build, I only saw the photo.

I'm sure it discussed the figures in there...

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 08:55:05 am »

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

proteque

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 09:21:44 pm »

Great to see some action on the seaport-front again :) keep us posted.

Mk1

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 12:51:20 am »

Hi with reference to the prop shaft and coupling. I have just done one on a boat I bought for my wife to use. All I done was hold the shaft with a pair of pliers and turn the white bit until it came off. I then put a new 4mm shaft in it place so I could use a flex joint and put a 50mm brass prop on the shaft. I also fitted a 500E motor while I was at it. Photos of the build are still in the camera if you would like to see I will get around to downloading them.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 22 queries.