Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tug whistle  (Read 2413 times)

Nick

Tug whistle
« on: September 19, 2010, 09:28:46 pm »

Hi Chaps

Im looking for a nice sounding whistle to fit in my steam Tug. Could anyone recommend a good sounding whistle and where to get it from?

Many thanks
Nick  :-))

mersey dave

Re: Tug whistle
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 10:06:48 pm »

Hi nick, i used an mp3 player along with an amp from maplins which cost £7. I switch it on via a servo the sound you can download. The whistle i have on my steam tug sounds great. Hope his helps.

Regards Dave.

Nick

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 08:49:32 pm »

Hi Dave

Yes, thanks for the help. I'd not thought of using an MP3 player, good idea

:-))

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 10:04:37 am »

As an alternative to an mp3, have a look here -
http://www.talkingproducts.co.uk/recordable_sound_chips.htm
Can be triggered from a switch, has its own power supply built in, and produces good results through the amplifier mentioned above.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Nick

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 09:21:27 pm »

Wow those sound chips seem just the thing   :-))  and so cheap. All I have to do know if find a steam ships whistle  {:-{

Many thanks
Nick

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 11:10:11 pm »

Have you tried one Malcolm?
 How loud are they?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 10:47:50 am »

Have you tried one Malcolm?
 How loud are they?

Quality is about the same as (probably better than) the one I did years ago using an ISD chip, which is a) no longer easily available, b) cost about twice this module's price c) had to have a circuit built around it.  Recording time on the original was about10 seconds, this module claims about 40 seconds.  It does come with a tinny little speaker which is technically audible, but the speaker leads can be diverted to an amp, at that point, the volume depends entirely on the power of the amp and size, solidity and mounting of your chosen speaker.  It does come with two switches, one for recording, and one to initiate playback, which is the one to intercept to the switch worked by the servo, or a switcher. 
I would recommend a relay contact, rather than solid state, switcher as the ground line is not easily accessible, so it really isn't referenced to the boat ground line.  Recording can be done via the provided microphone, playing your sound from whatever you choose, or you can get a "recording module" to connect to a PC or earphone socket.
For recording, you pretend that its a cassette recorder - press the record button, and as long as it remains pressed, its recording.  For playback, a single dab on the other switch starts playback, which continues until the recording has been played.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Nick

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 07:48:57 pm »

Has anyone tried the Action Electronics Steam Whistle, if so how realistic is it? It seems a reasonable price
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.52 seconds with 21 queries.