Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deans Dog Boat  (Read 2964 times)

farrow

Deans Dog Boat
« on: March 15, 2009, 04:35:52 pm »

Hi everyone,
I bought a dog boat on Ebay the other day and when I got it home and had a survey, I found the external shaft support brackets all fractured. On closer inspection they were found to be wight metal castings and where the shafts settled they had no strength hold them and fractured, so perhaps if anyone is building this kit it may be as well to make brass ones with strength and fit them instead.
Anyway getting back to my query, does anyone know the reccommended blue colour paint used for the deck and what was the colour grey that Deans reccommend for the model. As most probably due to the whipping motion of the shafts causing excessive vibration the deck is coming away and so are some fittings, which after reattaching will need a paint touch up for now, until I have time to rip it apart and start again.
Though all things considering I still am happy, as the price I paid for what I got it was still a good bargain. An with Shipmate60 helping me with the shafts the boat should be in action this year soon.

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Deans Dog Boat
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 10:16:33 pm »

I don't know what Deans recommend, but the official scheme would have B15 (a darkish blue-grey) as the deck colour. The sides, if all one colour, would be G45 (a pale slightly blueish grey) with white below the spray rail.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

farrow

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 10:20:52 am »

Hi Jonty, thanks for that. Deans have finished thiers in a sky blue colour and somehow it does not look right.
David

Tom@Crewe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 08:55:41 am »

Scheme E and F was the Scheme for 1944 - 45

B15 - 50% Humbrol 96 and 50% Humbrol 109
G45 - 50% Humbrol 65 and 50% Humbrol 90

or see White Ensigns paints

farrow

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 09:45:11 pm »

Thanks Tom, I was trying to remember the name white ensigns, that is where I obtained my paint last time.

John @ WEM

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 07:27:24 pm »

Thanks Tom, I was trying to remember the name white ensigns, that is where I obtained my paint last time.

In White Ensign Colourcoats, order RN 14 for G45, and RN 15 for B15.

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 08:32:02 pm »

I should have mentioned that overall G45 for the sides was known as the Basic or Standard Scheme. There were also Light and Dark Modifications. In the former the central section of the hull was left in G45 whilst the bow and stern thirds were painted white. The Dark Modification had a B15 centre secion with the bow and stern G45. The area below the chine remained white in all cases.

I think that this is what Tom's notes refer to. It'd be interesting to see those diagrams Tom. What's the publication?
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Tom@Crewe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 08:20:29 am »

the colour scheme I am referring too is the Standardisation Scheme from 1944. the Western Approach, Dark and Light schemes are for earlier in the war. very early war perion used one set of colours AP and MS series changing to the B and G series in 1942.

farrow

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 09:50:07 pm »

Cheers for the info, just going to order the paint.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.