Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Google Earth  (Read 12784 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Google Earth
« on: September 21, 2010, 06:38:30 pm »

Two questions.
1.   After about 5 minutes on "Google Earth" I get the Blue Screen that sort of shuts down my computer.  Why?
      Ages ago, "Google" detected this and said they'd fixed it. But not for long.
2.   How does one go about contacting "Google" to complain about this?
As it's such an informative and interesting site to visit I really feel like throwing a Donald Duck type rant when it happens. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Wasyl

Re: Google Earth
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 06:47:20 pm »

Why hold back! throw your Donald Duck type strop,get it out of your system,..then phone them and give them what for, {-)

Wullie

Prophet

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 07:44:18 pm »

actually that blue screen is not googles fault entirely. its caused by the google earth program running but its actually your computer that's at fault for the blue screen. let me try to explain...

google earth requires a set of running requirements as a minimum, however the blue screen nicknamed ' the blue screen of death' that occurs on windows xp is caused by your computer not having enough 'RAM' or 'virtual' memory to keep the program running, when it can't run the program any longer to save your pc having a massive hard drive failure and caused expensive damage to replace hd, along with the loss of your date the computer does something known as a 'Memory dump' which is the blue screen of death. this dump literally dumps all the applications data and shuts down the hard drive with out writing any more data onto it causing more damage then needed. this is XP's version of saving your computer from 'melt down' and grey hair pulling.

remember google earth is constantly updated regularly and google are allowed alter the specification for running the program and send the new data to your copy to update it with out your notice or concent. 

only suggestion i have for you is to try to get some more ram for your pc this will help, or the more expensive option is to look for a new pc sorry to say but google earth requires quite a lot of memory to run since it dose record a lot of downloaded data, roads, pictures, etc, you be surprised how quickly your RAM will fill up causing a 'crash'

hope this bit of info helps in explaining why but it wont help you get google earth running for long

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 07:55:22 pm »

Thanks for that. It is the most cogent explanation I've ever had. Now all I need is to work out how to install the extra RAM! BY.

Prophet

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 08:07:26 pm »

im not sure what ram you have currently there are different types, however the good news is that due to your pc being quite old since its running XP, remove your current chip(s) and take them to the local pc shop im sure they can supply you with larger ram cards very cheap, im running a brand new laptop ( 2010 model) and have 4 gig, but my old pc is an XP and i have 2 , 2 gig cards in it i purchased those in early 2009 and it cost me £80, im going to assume you have about 512mb possible 1 gig of ram in your current unit, i would only suggest doubling up to a max of 2 gig any more and your just wasting money, the only reason i purchased 4 gig was at the time i was doing a lot of work using programs like auto cad 3D max which requires so much memory you wont believe.  :-))

oh if your on a laptop .. take the whole unit to the pc shop.. i assumed you have a desktop... which is why i said remove the cards, i wouldn't suggest taking apart a laptop just in case anything goes wrong the whole unit is so compact you might damage other items.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 08:17:12 pm »

Bryan,

Actual installation is easy, it is just a question of removing existing RAM plug in memory modules and inserting new higher capacity ones. You do need to ensure that you buy the right ones though. Try Googling 'additional RAM' for some pointers on this.

However, the fact that your current PC cannot accommodate Google Earth does suggest that it is maybe outdated and that you should consider replacing it with a a an uprated model. It's the same old story, you can continue 'bodging' your existing setup indefinitely but there comes a point when it's maybe best to start afresh. I don't know what you have got at the moment but you can get a well specified setup for under £500 as long as you don't need to run the latest 'shoot 'em up' games.

My current PC works reasonably OK but to uprate it means making so many changes that it will probably be better value for me to simply replace it with a more modern model.

Colin

sailorboy61

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 08:24:42 pm »

"........... that due to your pc being quite old since its running XP"

ummm...not necessarily so...... XP is a better choice then Vista, so could only be a year old theoretically........

Prophet

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 08:41:52 pm »

I agree xp is a better OPERATING system then vista no doubts there, but xp is 'old' like it or not vista came next, now were on windows 7. its not the operating system that the issue its the ram memory that's causing the issue, all programs today say minimum requirements of xp, vista or windows 7, few years ago it was min or windows 98 millenium (2000) or xp!

xp operating systems were take out of production back in 2006 this means Brians pc is at least 4 years old..... if not older!
Im not saying that you couldn't install an xp operating system if you wanted to you can still buy the software, but if something is better then the old would you want to down grade your system?

google earth minimum requirements are xp/vista or win 7, 128mb gfx card, 1 gig of ram.  :-))

Xp has been the best operating system for windows for many years, thats why it took so long for a new one to be developed and even vista was a test that's because it was open to public input to develop it further to give us ... yup you guessed it windows 7! but xp is now outdated i have found i can do so much more with windows 7 and probably will never reutn to using an xp system again..

in 5 years time i bet windows 7 will be the outdated system and we will be on somthing like windows 'galaxy'  %% %% or some new fangle system that used 3d imaging so maybe even 'windows touch'!  O0 {-) {-) {-) %%

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 08:57:39 pm »

If you go to

http://www.crucial.com/uk/

it will look at you computer and tell you what memory you have and if you can add more..

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 09:00:03 pm »

in 5 years time i bet windows 7 will be the outdated system and we will be on somthing like windows 'galaxy'  %% %% or some new fangle system that used 3d imaging so maybe even 'windows touch'!  O0 {-) {-) {-) %%

You mean you dont know ? %)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Prophet

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 09:30:30 pm »

in 5 years time i will be running a PC on a Linux system or the new Japaneses system thats taking over the USA!. its not that i don't know its that i don't care as long as i can get onto a computer do the job i need it for thats all that matters to me  :}

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 09:33:00 pm »

If you are running Linus does that mean it will cost you Peanuts?  :}

Charlie Brown.

Prophet

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 09:43:47 pm »

Lunux is penguin power  :-)) open source operating system meaning its FREE  ok2

information here
http://www.linux.org/
http://linux.co.uk/

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 09:54:45 pm »

Lunux is penguin power

Are you moonstruck then......?

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 09:55:30 pm »

If you go to

http://www.crucial.com/uk/

it will look at you computer and tell you what memory you have and if you can add more..

You need to know the motherboard brand and other related data  >>:-( >>:-( <*< <*<
Not everyone knows this info or how to find it  <:( <:( <:(

The long Build

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 10:27:39 pm »

Thanks for that. It is the most cogent explanation I've ever had. Now all I need is to work out how to install the extra RAM! BY.

Before you go and buy any extra Ram put the details of the Ram you have on here , I have a few spare which are not worth selling on fleebay so might be able to help.

Larry

The long Build

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 10:30:36 pm »

You need to know the motherboard brand and other related data  >>:-( >>:-( <*< <*<
Not everyone knows this info or how to find it  <:( <:( <:(

I have mixed brands and not noticed any problems, however I do try to pair when rebuilding / upgrading.

Prophet

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 10:42:04 pm »

colin your humors wasted on me.. either that or your joke don't make sence  {:-{

clearly open source systems are not for everyone, if they were you wouldn't pay the extra £99 for the operating system in your computers price! you find that its programmers, designers, anyone in tv/film will use a system like this for its shear power and its ability to program the system to your needs. windows systems can do that but its very basic 'changes' that are normally to your desktop with the added widgets and side bars. Linux has the ability to change everything and i mean everything , if you know how.

i wouldn't turn round and recommend this to anyone who doesn't know how to locate information that's needed but this is the way we will all go at some point.

think back to the time of amstrad.. that was the first basic Linux system, as well as the first real home computer!! Microsoft only redeveloped it and marketed it and its progressed to what we see today, its purely that windows made the first desktop system that was easy to use with out the use of typing code to the do the job that made it successful. since then you have had apple show up shortly after with there systems, and now we are seeing others popping up all over the place, it come down to a matter of choice,( i spotted recently in pc world when picking up a new mouse that some of the dell laptops they were selling had a dell sponsored Linux operating system built in them rather then windows.)

its all down to choice and needs if your happy with a system that does the job, great , but if your needs are more focused in areas not supported by basic systems then you need to look at others, you only have to take a look at the apple systems to notice the subtle differences between apple and Linux, and that is apple have a Linux based system, that is one click user friendly. only issue is that not much in programs/software is compatible (at least in the uk) with apple systems, where as windows is world wide the same as Linux.

who would you trust in your pc, a company with years of 'marketing' and money 'pushing' a working system into your home or a free system that is publicly financed, with no real advertisement.

its an easy choice most have the first in there computers simply because it dose what you need it to and that's enough for most of us but for the few that its not, the options are there to change.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 11:20:37 pm »

You need to know the motherboard brand and other related data  >>:-( >>:-( <*< <*<
Not everyone knows this info or how to find it  <:( <:( <:(

If you use the "scan my system" it tells you all about your machine, well, it did with mine....... :-)) ;) ok2 :-) :police:

madrob

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 11:26:00 pm »

i thought 3 gig of ram was the maximum that xp could use

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 11:31:38 pm »

If you use the "scan my system" it tells you all about your machine, well, it did with mine....... :-)) ;) ok2 :-) :police:
Thank you  :-))
Got it to work OK O0 O0

Prophet

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 11:44:37 pm »

actually the max ram xp can support is 16 gig using 4, 4gig cards or 2 8 gig! you have to manually edit your 'virtual' memory settings to get that much ram to work though. not an easy job, if you don't know how. realistic though 2 gig is more then enough for that operating system to do most of your daily needs, in my case i needed that amount for 1 program or it would crash or freeze up, this had something to do with a mixture or ram and the graphics card, which was upgraded to a duel nvidia powered 512mb card since that upgrade and setting my virtual memory to 3072mb it worked perfectly and still dose today, well my dads got no complaints!

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 12:35:18 am »

actually that blue screen is not googles fault entirely. its caused by the google earth program running but its actually your computer that's at fault for the blue screen. let me try to explain...

google earth requires a set of running requirements as a minimum, however the blue screen nicknamed ' the blue screen of death' that occurs on windows xp is caused by your computer not having enough 'RAM' or 'virtual' memory to keep the program running, when it can't run the program any longer to save your pc having a massive hard drive failure and caused expensive damage to replace hd, along with the loss of your date the computer does something known as a 'Memory dump' which is the blue screen of death. this dump literally dumps all the applications data and shuts down the hard drive with out writing any more data onto it causing more damage then needed. this is XP's version of saving your computer from 'melt down' and grey hair pulling.

remember google earth is constantly updated regularly and google are allowed alter the specification for running the program and send the new data to your copy to update it with out your notice or concent. 

only suggestion i have for you is to try to get some more ram for your pc this will help, or the more expensive option is to look for a new pc sorry to say but google earth requires quite a lot of memory to run since it dose record a lot of downloaded data, roads, pictures, etc, you be surprised how quickly your RAM will fill up causing a 'crash'

hope this bit of info helps in explaining why but it wont help you get google earth running for long

Prophet,
Thanks for the info excellent timing and commentary  :-)) :-)) O0 O0
Have just finished googling the blue screen of death  >>:-( >>:-( as to why all of a sudden it happened on my Son's Dual core PC.  <:( <:(
Muggins me is trying to get it sorted, feel bit more confident now.
A general comment to all, not everyone is in a position, physically and or finacially to race out and buy a new PC and or software and therefore we have to make do with what we have for as long as possible. >>:-( >>:-( <*< <*< <:( <:(
Same principle also applies to boat modelling,  <:( <:( <:( but they get there  O0 O0 O0

Prophet

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 07:42:25 am »

i agree entirely i found that at one stage i was looking at getting a new pc to do what i needed but i felt that at the time more RAM was the cheaper answer, i purchased my original  computer back in 2004! so its 6 years old, it really is a matter of choice and cost as you said one day we will eventually get there but until then we have to make do or bodge it.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2010, 02:29:45 pm »

im not sure what ram you have currently there are different types, however the good news is that due to your pc being quite old since its running XP, remove your current chip(s) and take them to the local pc shop im sure they can supply you with larger ram cards very cheap, im running a brand new laptop ( 2010 model) and have 4 gig, but my old pc is an XP and i have 2 , 2 gig cards in it i purchased those in early 2009 and it cost me £80, im going to assume you have about 512mb possible 1 gig of ram in your current unit, i would only suggest doubling up to a max of 2 gig any more and your just wasting money, the only reason i purchased 4 gig was at the time i was doing a lot of work using programs like auto cad 3D max which requires so much memory you wont believe.  :-))

oh if your on a laptop .. take the whole unit to the pc shop.. i assumed you have a desktop... which is why i said remove the cards, i wouldn't suggest taking apart a laptop just in case anything goes wrong the whole unit is so compact you might damage other items.

Actually I have 1Gb of Ram. I thought that would be sufficient! Bryan.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.