Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Google Earth  (Read 12781 times)

Prophet

Re: Google Earth
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 03:54:35 pm »

you problem sound more like a ram and processor issues, if you have a low processor in today's standards then its processing capability is being put on the ram modules to aid it in its function. hence new ram needed... i would suggest that you take your pc to a shop and have the trained advisor's look at it just to be sure that might solve the problem

furball

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 03:58:52 pm »

actually the max ram xp can support is 16 gig using 4, 4gig cards or 2 8 gig!

Only if you're using a 64 bit version. If you've got a 32 bit version, then the maximum XP can use is indeed 3mb, as madrob said. This applies to Vista and Windows 7 as well.

Lance

Prophet

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2010, 04:06:19 pm »

win 7 is 64 bit... but yes xp 32 bit system can only run 3 gig. but you can make it run 4 by manually altering the drivers perception of the ram cards  ok2  but i aint sharing all my tricks.  {-)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2010, 08:06:26 pm »

A couple or four years ago, I went through the needing more memory phase.  I got my numbers from Crucial, having let it peer into my PC, then, shopping around, I got a new MB and processor and memory for very little more than the new memory would have cost, mostly because memory for elderly boards has not been made in any quantity for AGES, and the price reflects its scarcity, whereas the new is relatively cheap.  It was the chance to include the move up to XP as well. Saverstore were also offering hardware that would let me use my old peripherals, and have the option of being able to use this new-fangled SATA as well, rather than the present standard of SATA or nowt.  Then again, theres that link that Martin found the other day, http://www.lambda-tek.com/computing/index.htm  Trying a few trial pretend builds of basic systems got some interesting prices, but the specs do need careful scrutiny.
The old Amstrads - if prophet meant the PCW series, they were CPM.  The very early Amstrad PC that I had used GEM as its user interface over DOS3.  Both about as user friendly as a well kicked alligator.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

The long Build

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2010, 08:12:08 pm »

win 7 is 64 bit... but yes xp 32 bit system can only run 3 gig. but you can make it run 4 by manually altering the drivers perception of the ram cards  ok2  but i aint sharing all my tricks.  {-)

Win 7 can be both 64 or 32  :-))

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2010, 08:15:33 pm »

Yes Win 7 is defaulted to 64 bit but can be changed in its settings to 32 bit.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2010, 08:24:16 pm »

Surely Mr Prophet cant be wrong ? :o
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

The long Build

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2010, 08:25:26 pm »

As mentioned earlier I have a few Ram cards spare All were working when I upgraded,  1 of them is definetaly a Samsung 1GB 2*R8 PC2 - 4200u-444-12-E3 , if its of any use  BY  Its yours..

The long Build

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2010, 08:26:51 pm »

Not saying he is wrong, but I am running W7 and its running on 32.

Prophet

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2010, 10:01:54 pm »

64 bit on my laptop

Prophet

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2010, 10:14:16 pm »

there are 2 directory's in windows 7 so you can run old programs, by default programs are installed in a folder called Program Files(x86) but if you are running an old game or program that has issues running on a 64 bit system you can install the program to a folder above (x86) simply called Program Files.

The other option is if your having issues with the program you can right click on its short cut go to property's and change it to run with an xp operating system!

The long Build

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2010, 10:15:44 pm »

Yes as your system setup shows it is 64  , As mine shows it is W7 Ultimate Running on 32 , the point I think being made is that it can be either but your earlier posting implies it was only a 64.

However I'm really not sure how any of this in-depth anaylisis of computer operating systems help B.Y. as far as i can see all that is needed is a bit of extra memory and the pc should be fine.  :-))  

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2010, 02:18:00 pm »

As mentioned earlier I have a few Ram cards spare All were working when I upgraded,  1 of them is definetaly a Samsung 1GB 2*R8 PC2 - 4200u-444-12-E3 , if its of any use  BY  Its yours..
To be quite frank and honest, whilst appreciating your most generous offer......I haven't a clue what your'e talking about!
I know (roughly) how to operate my "machine", and know the difference between a "hard drive" and a CD/DVD read only or read/write unit.
In fact,I surprise myself as to how much I do know! I even know what RAM is, and how much I've got. But as soon as you start talking in those numerics I feel as if I'm back in a primary school again.
And all this just because I asked why I got a Blue Death Screen! Honestly, I'm more confused now than I was when I first asked!
"Dreadstar"......I tried to answer your PM but you didn't get it. I'll try again in a few minutes, I hope.
Thanks again "Long Build", I do hope this reply has been taken without umbrage. Confusedly yours, Bryan.
Notes from a simple seaman

Prophet

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2010, 02:24:29 pm »

bryan take your pc to a compter shop and ask for more ram, or look into a new pc you can pick up a dell for £299 at the moment in pc world! as i said before its the lack of memory thats cased the blue screen of death.  ignor the banter after it just look for ram or a new pc  :-))

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2010, 06:41:58 pm »

bryan take your pc to a compter shop and ask for more ram, or look into a new pc you can pick up a dell for £299 at the moment in pc world! as i said before its the lack of memory thats cased the blue screen of death.  ignor the banter after it just look for ram or a new pc  :-))
Prophet....much as I appreciate your concern, I don't think you know what a "high-end" machine I use. This is not an "off the shelf" gizmo, and has been upgraded so it's speed and so on compares more than favourably with just about anything, perhaps more, than outfits like PC World can offer. It certainly beats the hell out of my wifes newish and expensive Dell thing. Bryan.

Prophet

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2010, 07:09:46 pm »

can't be that 'high end' if it fails to run google earth without crashing , my laptop was a freebie and can run it all day with no ill effects

The long Build

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2010, 07:14:50 pm »

OK  absolutely no problem about the ram .

Now and again I get an odd problem , a few things I do before using the lump hammer is .
I clear down my internet saved files using tools clear the cache etc, I then delete the program in question and reload a new version. You may have already done this but its a thought.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2010, 08:05:28 pm »

Dicky,
Surely you know he's a Mine of information?

Barry M

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2010, 08:20:37 pm »

OK  absolutely no problem about the ram .

Now and again I get an odd problem , a few things I do before using the lump hammer is .
I clear down my internet saved files using tools clear the cache etc, I then delete the program in question and reload a new version. You may have already done this but its a thought.
Actually I have done that and it does tend to clear things up. What I'm really wondering now is if some other programme I have is doing some sort of interference job. Now, the last thing I wish to do is delete all the programmes I have and start all over again! Life at my age is just too short for all that malarkey. But. Again, BUT, if it is one programme interfering, how I can I tell, and then isolate it? BY.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2010, 08:21:47 pm »

can't be that 'high end' if it fails to run google earth without crashing , my laptop was a freebie and can run it all day with no ill effects
Therefore your prognosis was wrong. BY

sailorboy61

« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2010, 08:33:54 pm »

Therefore your prognosis was wrong. BY

Bryan, some people are 'NEVER' wrong..........   :-))      ;)

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2010, 08:36:11 pm »

...but guilty as (depth) charged?  %)

Barry M

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2010, 08:38:46 pm »

Dicky,
Surely you know he's a Mine of information?

Barry M
Excellent Barry  O0

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2010, 08:39:59 pm »

...but guilty as (depth) charged?  %)

Barry M
You're on fire tonight Barrie.  :-))

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2010, 08:41:11 pm »

Bryan, some people are 'NEVER' wrong..........   :-))      ;)
How right you are.  :-))
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.427 seconds with 22 queries.