Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Google Earth  (Read 12792 times)

RaaArtyGunner

Re: Google Earth
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2010, 09:42:22 pm »

Ouch ouch ouch  <*< <*< <*< <*<
Some boys are looking a shade green. O0 O0 O0

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2010, 09:49:23 pm »

Actually I have done that and it does tend to clear things up. What I'm really wondering now is if some other programme I have is doing some sort of interference job. Now, the last thing I wish to do is delete all the programmes I have and start all over again! Life at my age is just too short for all that malarkey. But. Again, BUT, if it is one programme interfering, how I can I tell, and then isolate it? BY.

Bryan, Press ctrl/alt/del at the same time and when promted open up the task manager.  There are a few usefull things here.  First have a look at the performance tab, if you have something hogging the memory you should see your processor being used more than you would expect.  Then have a look through the applications tab and ther processes tab.  I have had similar in the past and shut off most of the processes that were running.  There are a lot there that you won't have a clue what they are and you may well stop something critical and have to reboot.  Hopefully you will stop something and see the performance graph improve and you will have identified it. 

Once I stopped everything apart from a few that I knew were required and the performance instantly improved so i knew I had to find something.  Favourites are Internet security stuff such as Norton, McAfee etc, and quite often you will see stuff running for programs that aren't even open.

"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2010, 10:09:25 pm »

To follow on Google to find and download the freeware program "Revo Installer".
Not only will it uninstall programs that windows won't touch but it shows all programs running each of which can be disabled such as auto updating which you are not ware of and use and hog resources.
It works for this layman.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2010, 10:56:13 am »

The Windows Task Manager can show useful stuff-
The applications tab gives a list of windows open, the performance tab lets you know the amount of work the critical areas are attempting.  If the CPU is very busy, it could well be that either there are too many jobs being demanded at the same time, or that one job is just too big.  If there is a lot of PF Usage in the history, thats a good sign that there isn't enough memory, and, again, it might be just one program hogging it.
Then there is the Processes tab.  This is a long list of techno-gibberish, BUT, there is a column of changing numbers under the CPU heading.  These always add up to 100.  Down at the bottom of the list is "System Idle", which is normally the biggest number.  A persistently large number elsewhere is worth investigating.  There is another column under the Mem Usage heading, telling how much memory is being grabbed by each process.  Image Name will show lots of SVCHOST.EXE - this is an internal windows program a copy of which is grabbed by just about everything that is running, and is best ignored.  The rest will give the clues as to what is actually using the resources for further checking.
Personally, I use a program called "Startup Inspector For Windows" (SIFW), which lets me sort out just what is allowed to run at startup.  There is a built in utility in Windows, but I find this much easier to use.  I also have a system monitor running called (dont laugh) "Rubber Ducky" by Mimarsinan.  Its a postage stamp sized window that displays pretty much everything thats going on in a pictorial manner (the ducky, water level, bubbles, fish, waving weeds and clarity of water).  And if you move it, it squeaks like a bath rubber ducky.  Both these programs are freebies.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2010, 01:33:00 pm »

Malcolm,
Thank you  :-)) :-))

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2010, 01:38:20 pm »

The Windows Task Manager can show useful stuff-
The applications tab gives a list of windows open, the performance tab lets you know the amount of work the critical areas are attempting.  If the CPU is very busy, it could well be that either there are too many jobs being demanded at the same time, or that one job is just too big.  If there is a lot of PF Usage in the history, thats a good sign that there isn't enough memory, and, again, it might be just one program hogging it.
Then there is the Processes tab.  This is a long list of techno-gibberish, BUT, there is a column of changing numbers under the CPU heading.  These always add up to 100.  Down at the bottom of the list is "System Idle", which is normally the biggest number.  A persistently large number elsewhere is worth investigating.  There is another column under the Mem Usage heading, telling how much memory is being grabbed by each process.  Image Name will show lots of SVCHOST.EXE - this is an internal windows program a copy of which is grabbed by just about everything that is running, and is best ignored.  The rest will give the clues as to what is actually using the resources for further checking.
Personally, I use a program called "Startup Inspector For Windows" (SIFW), which lets me sort out just what is allowed to run at startup.  There is a built in utility in Windows, but I find this much easier to use.  I also have a system monitor running called (dont laugh) "Rubber Ducky" by Mimarsinan.  Its a postage stamp sized window that displays pretty much everything thats going on in a pictorial manner (the ducky, water level, bubbles, fish, waving weeds and clarity of water).  And if you move it, it squeaks like a bath rubber ducky.  Both these programs are freebies.

I thought I'd said rather a lot of that.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2010, 05:47:24 pm »

Indeed you did bunker, but I just thought back to when I was further down the learning tree, and it struck me that pitching it a bit lower and adding a bit more detail might be helpful, like a brief explanation of how to read the details for anybody who doesn't habitually look in there.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2010, 02:00:02 pm »

Now now chaps, no bickering! Honestly, I'm more than grateful for the wealth of suggestions, possible solutions, and the sheer breadth of knowledge displayed. If one isn't actually employed in a job that demands all this computer knowledge, how does a mere home tinkerer gather it? From this forum seems to be one place. But now I have to sort out the actual practise of it all!
Yesterday I ran a comparison check against my wifes computer (she has much less RAM than I have....but so have most women I suppose), and her computer ran Google Earth happily for a few hours. So I now think that I've been correct in thinking that "something" in the little green wigglies has been running interference. So I think I'll attempt Bunkers ideas first. Always assuming I can understand it.
I'm also sure that all (or at least, most) of the replies have been of interest to more than just me. I'll send PMs to those whose advice I've decided to follow (and maybe a few of those who have tried to be helpful but to no avail). Thanks again to all of you. Bryan Y.
Notes from a simple seaman
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.