Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Computer stuff...  (Read 10616 times)

Patrick Henry

Computer stuff...
« on: September 22, 2010, 01:36:42 pm »

I've just had my desktop pc overhauled/serviced/sorted out and Linux Mint installed instead of Windows...it now works perfectly, and will be used for storage only, so as I can release some space on my laptop.

The old keyboard is about as useful as a bucket with holes in, so I've looked around for a replacement one...it's a minefield, trying to buy a keyboard. I never realised there were so many different types!

Can anyone tell me of a half decent, common or garden, no frills keyboard...with a usb plug on it. NOT wireless...just a good old fashioned basic keyboard is all I need.

New one, or a secondhand one, if anyone's got one they don't use any more.

Ta,

Rich

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
Re: Computer stuff...
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 01:49:11 pm »

Try phoning the IT people at any half-decent-sized business near you.

When I was working at the Uni in Glasgow in an IT capacity, we'd get new Dells in that came with keyboards, and, if the user wanted a wireless keyboard, they were bought extra. So - given the lack of space we had - we threw brand new keyboards out.

Failing that, I see Argos (probably any decent supermarket, too) do a USB fella for under a tenner.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Patrick Henry

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 02:00:58 pm »

Job done and dusted, one reserved at Argos for £9.99, collect it on my home tomorrow. Simples... :-))

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 03:21:12 pm »

damm wasnt quick enough... Got a few at my parents house brand New and boxed dell numbers could have had it for the price of the postage
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Patrick Henry

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 03:27:36 pm »

I can easily cancel the reservation Essex...

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 03:33:55 pm »

I got 1 or 2 hundred spare HP keyboards.... Oh, too late.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Patrick Henry

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 03:37:59 pm »

It's never too late....I'll take one if it works!

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 06:15:03 pm »

Kill the USB, go for a PS2.  Anyone got a spare IBM M3??

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 06:18:28 pm »

I thought BMW made the M3?

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 07:20:00 pm »

No - you're thinking of BMWs which - amongst other cars - drive down the M3.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Patrick Henry

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 07:25:37 pm »

Aah...BMW's. They're the things that go whistling past you on the motorway at silly miles an hour with the driver talking on his Blackberry, completing a presentation on his laptop which is on the passenger seat, eating a tuna sandwich and drinking a coffee all at the same time.

Wasyl

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 01:37:22 am »

NOOOOO! you,re confusing BMW,drivers with council refuse trucks,  I,ve seen,them, there doing most or all of what you describe,including puffing ciggies when,it ain,t allowed,...but there,s one driver in particular that is,nt doing it now,..the one who refused to empty my daughters bin because,the lid was,nt down,"said bin was over filled" H/S rules blah blah blah,...the next week she took pics of him driving with mobile at ear and smoking,

Wullie

Patrick Henry

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 12:48:36 pm »

I hope your daughter is proud of her vindictive actions, that driver probably got a disiplinary hearing at the least, at worst he probably lost his job...for doing as he should have done.

RCV drivers and operatives are NOT permitted to empty a refuse bin if the lid is open...it's dangerous to the operative(refuse can be shot out of the bin as it goes up on the bin lifts, and that can be painful), the bin itself can jam up on the bin lifts if the lid catches up...that can result in either a damaged bin, costing around £25-30 to replace, or damage to the vehicle's bin lift mechanism, costing hundreds of pounds to repair, without mentioning the downtime to the vehicle.

As an ex-RCV, driver I've been hit by bin lids that weren't properly shut, and that hurts when it wacks you smack in the face, believe me. I've suffered being covered in all sorts of refuse(which I won't describe)which has been knocked out of a bin with a half closed lid, that is why current H&S regulations prevent drivers and operatives placing a bin on the lifts if the lid is half open.

And think on...if that particular driver HAD put your daughter's bin onto the vehicle lifts, and had been spotted by either an over zealous member of the public, a council official, or by one of the myriad of CCTV cameras that blight our towns and cities, then that driver would have found himself in more trouble for doing something he is not allowed to. There is no argument...he may have agreed to be helpful to your daughter, to do her a favour and empty the bin anyway, but if had have been seen doing so or damaged the bin, the vehicle, or even worse, damaged himself, the the powers that be would have descended upon him from a great height.

I accept that the driver was in the wrong by using a mobile phone(he was actually driving at the time, I presume?)that is illegal anyway, and smoking a cigarette as well...well, that's down to local council rules and regulations.

I trust your daughter sleeps well at night...

Rich

Wasyl

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 01:05:27 pm »

She Sleeps like a Baby,and I,m proud of Her, :-))

Wullie

pugwash

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 01:41:24 pm »

They must have really Southern softie bin lorries down there if a bit of extra rubbish can put one out of commission.
We have canny refuse collectors up here doesnt matter if the lid isnt quite closed they still empty it and they will take away
any bags lying by the side of the bins as well. But we are a bit behind the times up here they probably think H/S means
Have a Smoke.

Geoff

Wasyl

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 01:54:53 pm »

Thats probably because you,re so close to Scotland,that their work ethos is akin to the binmen up here,down where my daughter stays,if the bin is not exactly on the designated bin spot,they won,t empty it,..if a black bin bag is next to the bin,they won,t lift it,"they might hurt their poor backsies"was an answer,...little kittens spring to mind, {-)

Wullie

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 02:16:32 pm »

Let the cat out of the bag with that comment Wasyl.

Regards Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Wasyl

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 03:17:02 pm »

Let the cat out of the bag with that comment Wasyl.

Regards Ian.
Who!!!! me! {-)would I, %)

Wullie

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2010, 06:43:45 pm »

Getting back to the 'computer stuff' I have an issue with my pc and my son is away to uni' so am without IT guidance!

Thought I might splash out on a new machine - tower only as all my other bits are ok. Saw a Medion pc at Aldi stores for £379 http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_15795.htm anybody think it's ok?

My main intention is to use it for picture and video work, wanting to convert the analogue and digital home movies and videos that my father and I have made over the last 50 years!
I've tried doing it on my current machine and the conversion time for 90 minutes of video to digital format for downloading took 8 hours and even then had a sound 'lag' - bit like watching a cheap foriegn dubbed  movie !

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2010, 06:54:52 pm »

I don't have experience of that particular model, but I have had a Medion Laptop for many years and its still going - albeit a little slowly now.

Barrie

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 07:15:57 pm »

That looks like a fair specification for the money. I'm on the hunt for a tower myself but I don't want a budget model. I would rather pay a bit more for a 'name' if the price is OK. While surfing the web today I found some interesting options on the HP site http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/home.html I quite fancied the HP Pavilion p6525uk myself which comes with a 2 year warranty. There are other lower spec models.

A lot of emphasis seems to be placed on 1 Terabyte hard drives these days but I reckon 500GB is as much as most of us would need. I have also recently seen some negative comments on the reliability of the cheaper 1TB drives.

The problem with this sort of thing is that everyone you ask will give you different advice. As in all things, you can always get something cheaper - but is it really value for money?

Colin

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 07:54:12 pm »

It was my intention to 'push the boat out' and have one of these http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/studio-xps-8100?c=uk&l=en&s=gen&~tab=specstab&~lt=popup
but at half the price was considering the Aldi purchase if it would do the job.

If I was to ask my oh-so knowledgable kids it would be a case of 'why do you need one like that - the cheap Aldi one's good enough for you'. I suppose if I bought the Dell it would be future proofing my system...even if it was under utilised to begin with, I suppose we all grow into, then out of what we buy.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 08:08:49 pm »

There are two basic issues to consider.

1. What is the actual specification you are likely to need? If you don't do gaming then you don't need a top end machine for example and you are just paying for features you will never use.

2. What level of quality do you want? Generally, cheap PCs will be fitted with budget components which may be fine if you only use it for an hour or so a day. I switch mine on when I get up and off again when I go to bed so it needs to be a decent quality machine.

Horses for courses as usual!

Colin

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 09:17:07 pm »

The chances are that the cheap components are, for low end use, like most of ours, perfectly adequate.  The chances are also good that should one fail, it will be easily and cheaply replaceable.  I've had two cards fail (one US Robotics, one a Pinnacle) since I started with PCs, neither of them cheap, no-namers.  The bits that do tend to fail are the ones with moving parts, like drives, and the fans in power units. 
I recall that Compaq gained a name that they probably didn't want by using non-standard parts that could only be replaced at high cost, while at the same time the no-name specials made from standard bits just chugged on, and gave exactly the same performance. 
My rule of thumb for several years has been to get one contained in the biggest, plainest, box that I can find with the biggest power unit, then fit it with an adequate MB/CPU.  If its going to be used for anything higher than looking at photos and writing letters, get a display adaptor, the on-board graphics are usually nearly adequate.  Over the last 6 years, I had one MB change when I moved from W98, and a more recent one when one of my drives went a bit wonky, and the SATA ones were cheap enough to "justify" chucking a new MB in. (So my PC is a bit like my grandad's hammer, same hammer, umpteen years old, just three new handles and two new heads...)
The actual machine itself is unlikely to slow down over time, but the programs it runs will tend to gain bulk that will only fit comfortably into a faster running machine with more memory and any new toys bought for it might demand a newer operating system.  The corollary is also true - a new OS might need new hardware.
If the Medion is a good spec at a sensible price, I would consider it very carefully.  It is difficult to stand in Aldi and look at their spec, then remember what it said while you look elsewhere and try to work out which is the better value, but, having had a play with one of their products, they are good.
Having said that, for video work, there is no such thing as "enough" memory, "enough" speed, or drives that are too big.  Being able to dedicate a drive to the video file handling will help, as well, so a board that can handle a few drives is best.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2010, 09:25:04 pm »

Having said that, for video work, there is no such thing as "enough" memory, "enough" speed, or drives that are too big.  Being able to dedicate a drive to the video file handling will help, as well, so a board that can handle a few drives is best.

So it's the Dell then and hang the expense - I'll order one tomorrow whilst it's on sale. Thanks for your input gentlemen.

This is all part of spending the kid's inheritance.....I'm determined to not leave them any problems with inheritance issues
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 22 queries.