Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Computer stuff...  (Read 10620 times)

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
Re: Computer stuff...
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2010, 04:02:47 pm »

Got a Dell here - and I must warn you to be prepared for what might be a long and protracted hassle. Don't get me wrong: the PC is great, but the company is not so.

Well, not quite. They are great for supplying businesses - you want a hundred PCs? Then next day, blah-de-blah - works everytime. But for individuals you'll possibly receive service which is more akin to the less fragrant end of the stick.

The online tracking system was woeful: I ended up in several 15/20 minute phone conversations trying to speak to a human being. The nearest I think I got was some call centre in the US, who were clueless. My PC left Lodz within a couple of days of being ordered, and then it hung around between delivery centres for nearly a month. I will agree that it was snowing back in January, but if I could drive about without too much risk of death, then why the van drivers couldn't was an utter mystery to me.

Hopefully they've improved things. Please let us know how you get on?

Andy

Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Roger in France

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2010, 04:55:39 pm »

I am exploring the purchase of a laptop for my wife. I have had three consecutive Dell PC's and found them and the service excellent. delivery was rapid, as promised and on time.

My choices are a little limited as I live in France but require a UK (QWERTY) keyboard and I want an operating system in English. I also want delivery in France, the guarantee to apply under French law and service to be supplied in France!

Both Dell France and Dell UK offer a real time enquiry service, it really works well and fast but appears, from the names of the advisers I exchange messages with, to be based in India. My enquiries in French result in a helpful response, "Give me your specification and I will come back to you with a quotation". The English response was a simple "We do not export to France".

Incidentally, avoid the Dell finance plans like a plague they currently quote an APR of 28+%, ouch!!!!

Roger in France

craftysod

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 05:59:15 pm »

John Mk2

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2010, 06:04:22 pm »

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2010, 08:20:54 pm »

There are two basic issues to consider.

1. What is the actual specification you are likely to need? If you don't do gaming then you don't need a top end machine for example and you are just paying for features you will never use.

Colin

I wouldn't entirely agree with that. I'm not a big computer games player, but I do like to edit video, and purchased a HD video camera this year. I can tell you now, you want all the silicone muscle you can muster for editing that stuff.

You may also want to do a bit of 3d modelling or animation. So many avenues to explore.

Sure, if all you want to do is a bit of browsing, email and office apps even a seven year old machine will get you by.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2010, 09:14:24 pm »

Yes, it's true that if you are into video you do need a fairly high spec. I'd say I use my PC fairly extensively but it is for writing and office type applications although I do have a lot of images to be stored and sometimes edited. So I want a reasonably high amount of storage and am not so concerned about ultimate processor performance.

Colin

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2010, 07:56:20 pm »

As probably many of you do, I feel that I'm being totally ripped off by buying printer inks from places like PC World and so on.
So I also took the plunge and began buying "compatible" inks from a well known supplier.
I've got no complaints at all about the quality, and the price and delivery are second to none.
But now I'm finding that the printer keeps telling me that "ink is running out" when, on inspection, the cartridge is still half full of ink.
The "blurb" that accompanies these cartridges states that the "chip" can be easily re-set. Easy to say. How? I've tried ignoring the warning, but then after a while the printer gets a bit "stripey" (cured by yet another new cartridge). So if I'm only using half the ink available, where's my cost saving? BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

The long Build

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2010, 08:39:56 pm »

Yes Tesco's are about to get an email off me for much similiar to yours Bryan.  I have only printed 10 pages of draft black print.  <*<

Wasyl

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2010, 08:57:28 pm »

WellI,ve had this Laptop now for 6 years,I got it from Staples,its an Acer travelmate and has a lowly 40 GB HDD,and 256 MB DDR, its never missed a beat in 6 years and only cost £299 complete with a free printer ,Its got everything I need,and lots that i don,t know how to,I,m a happy chappy,

Wullie

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2010, 09:09:20 pm »

I have had poor results with compatible cartridges in the past and if you are printing photos then they may not last. I use the manufacturer's inks but buy them cheap on the net. Quite frequently you can get a bargain pack with even more off. Even PC World get cheaper if you order online.

Colin

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2010, 09:36:45 pm »

Thank you all, but none of that (so far) answers my original question. How do you re-set a chip? I'm wasting ink here! BY.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2010, 09:41:46 pm »

Rather than use compatible inks,  >>:-( >>:-(  here in Oz we are able to get the original cartridges refilled.  O0 O0
Whilst printer says low ink it can be ignored until the ink runs out.
It has been said that the manufacturer programs the printer to not recognise non-genuine cartridges all part of the ploy to make you buy theirs. <*< <*< >>:-( >>:-(
There is also the ridiculous situation when at times you can buy a new printer(lower range models) for little more than the cost of new ink cartridges.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2010, 09:46:54 pm »

You may not like the answer Bryan - this gives you an idea of what is required: http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_6053980_reset-ink-cartridge-chips.html

It's the usual story - hassle vs cost. I don't print a huge amount so I buy original cartridges at the best possible price and take the hit.

As RaaArtyGunner  says, the manufacturers make their money from the cartridges, not the printer.

Colin

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2010, 10:01:17 pm »

Thank you all, but none of that (so far) answers my original question. How do you re-set a chip? I'm wasting ink here! BY.

You buy a cartridge resetter. They are only a few pounds. Here is an ebay search for some. Your ink cartridge supplier ought to be able to sell you one...

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=cartridge+resetter&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2010, 11:06:09 pm »

You may not like the answer Bryan - this gives you an idea of what is required: http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_6053980_reset-ink-cartridge-chips.html

It's the usual story - hassle vs cost. I don't print a huge amount so I buy original cartridges at the best possible price and take the hit.

As RaaArtyGunner  says, the manufacturers make their money from the cartridges, not the printer.

Colin

Your'e right again Colin. The old brain hasn't enough memory left (or time) to take all that in! Bryan.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2010, 11:21:49 pm »

Yes Bryan, you can do all sorts of clever things if you are prepared to devote the time and energy to them. But that is time spent which might be better occupied on things of more value to you. Printing on bits of paper is useful but not regarded as one of my core life enhancing activities. So I buy the standard stuff which just slots in at the best price I can get and then get on with more important things.  I'm happy to leave chip resetting to the Geeks. On the same principle I've just bought a new computer instead of spending hours of my life attempting to upgrade the old one. Yes, it might have been cheaper to upgrade but I value my own time too and fiddling with computers can run away with the remaining balance of your earthly allocation.

One advantage of getting older is that you do have a clearer idea of what your priorities are.

Colin

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2010, 11:28:21 pm »

One advantage of getting older is that you do have a clearer idea of what your priorities are.
And when all is said and done its only the kids inheritance.  :-))
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2010, 11:52:05 pm »

And when all is said and done its only the kids inheritance.  :-))

Yep, you're right there, and as far as my wife and I are concerned we put them through uni' at great expense to set them up for life. The two eldest ones are doing very well, the youngest is on his second year at drama school and just finished a four week run in Faustus at the Exchange in Manchester.

I took delivery of my super duper PC from Dell yesterday - and we pick up the wife's MX-5 on Friday - sod the kid's inheritance and hang the expense!

How do I transfer all my data from one machine to the other?

class37

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2010, 12:46:39 am »

I use a USB lead and a program called 'laplink'.

install Laplink on both machines, then link the two through USB ports, and run from one machine, and you can see both hard drives, and select and move what you want.

works for files etc, and you can also move program folders from one C: drive to the other.

also helps if you have problems, as you can effectively remotely sort it from the other computer.

think if you google it should be able to get a freen download, but got a disc and lead from Maplins years ago for about a tenner.

alan

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2010, 12:54:12 am »

Thanks for that Alan, once I 've cleaned up what's not needed and backed up all my pictures, music, et al, I shall try that method

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2010, 10:05:14 am »

Having a home network, I just copy and paste folders from one machine to the other.  If I mess about with files, MS have a "synctoy" that lets you set up pairs of folders, when the toy is run, both folders wind up identical, with the newest versions of everything in both.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2010, 12:46:27 pm »

It strikes me that every time someone asks a computer related question lots of answers appear...generally very helpful.
By the very nature of this forum evryone on it uses a computer. Why not have a "Computer Helpline" as a permanent sub heading instead of letting the thread drift down the "ratings list" until the next query comes up? BY.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2010, 10:03:31 pm »

It strikes me that every time someone asks a computer related question lots of answers appear...generally very helpful.
By the very nature of this forum everyone on it uses a computer. Why not have a "Computer Helpline" as a permanent sub heading instead of letting the thread drift down the "ratings list" until the next query comes up? BY.

Good idea as there appear to be some computer literate Mayhemers among us.
Not to mention there is always another way to skin a cat.  :-)) :-)) :-))

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2010, 06:03:22 pm »

Good idea as there appear to be some computer literate Mayhemers among us

Not to mention some computer illiterate as well :D
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2010, 06:42:48 pm »

Not to mention there is always another way to skin a cat

Yes, there is a huge amount of computer expertise in the Mayhem Community which is very helpful. However, you do need to distinguish between fact and opinion. Some questions simply need a factual answer such as 'how do I downsize my picture files?' With others, such as my request for help in choosing a new computer, you will get lots of very helpful practical advice which may well open up options that you had never previously considered. In this case it is down to you to evaluate that advice and use it to make your own informed choice. As RaaArtyGunner rightly points out, what is right for one person is not necessarily so for another.

Whether we need a special section for this is really for Martin and the Mods to consider. Usually it's best not to start up new main headings but sometimes there are exceptions.

Colin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 22 queries.