Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: My First Springer/Pusher  (Read 25578 times)

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
Re: My First Springer/Pusher
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 12:41:40 pm »

Cheers Russ. Started spraying her today, chickened out of dazzle scheme. May do that with another project I've got in mind. Using Halfords acrylic aerosols, my usual choice these days. Doing her in similar scheme to my other tug, Jojo Hull black/red oxide, superstructure/funnel Ford Ivory. Still undecided about deck colour yet, I'll have to see what's in the cupboard like the boss says! Another thing, why does it always try to start raining as soon as you start to shake the aerosol cans?? Is there some hidden link in the great scheme of things??  Dave   O0 %% O0

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 03:46:43 pm »

Most of the painting done now, managed to dodge the odd shower. Getting a better idea of how she'll look when finished now. I'll leave it for a couple of days to dry out properly then start on the more detailed work. Hoping for a maiden voyage this Sunday if the weather complies! %) Dave

Foggy bottom

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2010, 03:17:14 am »

Just a thought. Too high an ambient humidity is easier to fix than too Low!  The paint dries en route to the subject and can result in any thing from dry powder to "orange peel"! (ever try to put retarder in a spray can?) Thats why we moved to Boise!
 Dave

octo

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2010, 12:13:17 pm »

Hi Dave, Could you tell me what scale the man, liferaft and the whinch are? and where you got them from. Yours Tony

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2010, 01:37:04 pm »

figure is 1.24 scale from george turner,raft canister 1.24 from macs mouldings i think,winch is 1.32 from mobile marine models. not going use winch as takes up too much deck room i think. dave

octo

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2010, 03:32:24 pm »

Thanks a lot Dave, much appreciated, bye the way boats looking good, Tony

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2010, 03:58:10 pm »

Hello Dave, obviously another modeller who doesn't hang about - you on piecework?  {-) {-)
      Lovely little boat, what material are you using? looks like (plasticard), I assume you are building scratch from plans and if not is it your own design? if the latter how do you dimension everything?
Sorry if the questions seem dumb but I'm a late starter and have only built one model from a kit, don't have the knowledge to build from scratch but maybe one day.

Looks great,

regards Tony.  :-))

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2010, 10:13:12 am »

Hi there, thanks for all the comments, much appreciated.  :-) The only thing spent anything on were the hull, pushers and kort nozzle. Rest of fittings out of the bits box, never throw anything away! The superstructure's made out of 2mm plasticard, nice and strong. She's not made to any plan, I usually have a vague idea of what I want and look at other peoples builds, pics on internet etc. This one I wanted to do on 1/24 because got a fair few spare parts on this scale and didn't want anything too tall. I'll then sketch few ideas out, when got a design I like I'll raid the kitchen cupboards, recycling for cereal boxes (get a telling off usually) and mock a rough structure out of cardboard! I keep a scale figure handy so can ensure it all looks in proportion, especially doorways, windows, access footways, steps etc. If the scale figure could use them then that'll do for me. If it's a tug then windows are big for better vision so I'll make them big. When I'm happy with the card mock up I'll transfer the dimensions to the plasticard and off we go. It only takes an hour or so to mock something out of card, not got to be perfect. Cheaper to make a mistake with cardboard than plastic, learnt that one the hard way!  %) I use a really sharp knife (very carefully  :o) to cut the plasticard, changing the blade quite often. Still got time on my hands as still off work after busting my Achilles tendon in July! Was supposed to go back work next week but getting made redundant mid October so been told I've not got to go back as I'm owed holidays! Got my job as retained Firefighter at least so not that bothered about being out of work for a while. Keep watching for more pics soon...Dave  :-))

chingdevil

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2010, 10:50:50 am »

Dave
I thought the management wanted it purple, does not look very purple to me {-) {-) {-)

Its a great looking model, well done :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Brian

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2010, 11:22:33 am »

Got no spare purple paint (shame).  O0  I've got ideas for another of my boats repaint in dazzle scheme, got a Paula 3 might change...again...  {-) I'll put a post on it if decide to go ahead with it, stockpiling masking tape from now on!! Dave  :-)) :-))

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2010, 06:00:25 pm »

Well pouring rain all day put pay to the maiden voyage so done some more work on her. Had to ditch the green deck as ran out of paint and didn't fancy 20 mile round trip for another can, so it's red oxide now!  %) Just got some more to do in the wheelhouse, glazing, lights, towing bollards and some more detail work then she's done. Maiden voyage this Wednesday or Sunday, hopefully...Dave  O0 O0 O0

debssnal

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2010, 09:15:23 pm »

Hi Dave,looking good.Looks like you will have to go to blackpool and see Andy to get a new build lol.
Are you and russ going ??? If you are let me know as i found the bolts for russis tamar
kind regards
Alan

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2010, 07:38:18 am »

Hi Alan, I'll be up Blackpool with the better half. Going Friday til Sunday, staying at Norbreck, might take a boat for the pool. Not sure if Russ is going, am sure I'll see you up there. Would've come to the Model Airshow down south but leg still not good enough for driving that far. Should be back work Thursday on light duties. :(( I've got that 8ft supertanker to start soon that I got from Andy at Wicksteed so that'll keep me busy a while! Mind you I don't normally go home empty handed!!  {-) {-) See you soon, Dave.  :-)) :-))

Dreadstar

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2010, 10:36:41 am »

I might just see you there Dave,I'll be going down there with my other half too. This will be my first ever visit to the Blackpool show,I'm looking forward to it.

David.

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2010, 11:54:18 am »

The more there the merrier! Usually a good weekend with plenty to see and do, Dave.  :-)) :-))

Double D

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2010, 12:24:43 pm »

Mind you I don't normally go home empty handed!! 

<*< <*< <*< <*<

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2010, 12:43:06 pm »

But then again he doesnt keep buying motorbikes neither!!   ok2

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2010, 07:17:48 pm »

Maiden voyage time. After a test in the domestic test pool (waking up my better half doublediamond in the process-sorry) it was off to Westport Lake near Stoke-on-Trent for her first outing. I had a minor problem with a little water getting in through the shaft. More grease and sorting out a tiny bit of play in the shaft soon cured that. I had a good hour on the water with no problems and no leaks. I'm glad I put the angled piece on between the pushers as this seemed to stop a lot of water washing over the deck. Turning circle was good but I might try to improve it further. Overall a very satisfying first voyage. I just need to finish her off now. I might take her to the Blackpool show next weekend if I get her all done....Dave  :-)) :-))

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2010, 09:37:25 am »

Finished off the cabin interior, not going over the top with detail as it's a fun boat not based on any specific boat. Done glazing and put some more bits of fendering on as will be using it for lake 'rescues' too and don't want to damage her or whatever going to help. Just need to do lighting and fit towing bollards which I'll be getting this weekend in Blackpool hopefully. Will make some wiper blades for her too...Dave  :-))

Dreadstar

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2010, 12:22:53 pm »

I like it Dave,she looks the business. :-)) :-))

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2010, 06:22:12 pm »

Thanks for all the comments guys and gals, much appreciated.  :-)) She spent most of the weekend residing on the Models By Design stand at Blackpool. (fame at last  :D) Managed to get nearly all the bits I was after to finish her off, so I'll be back at work on her soon with more photos coming up. Hopefully be taking her to Warwick next month...Dave.  :-) :-)

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2010, 09:55:54 pm »

Pretty much finished now. I might put a couple of spotlights on the cabin roof? Some pics down the lake yesterday too. Dave. :-)) :-))

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2010, 08:55:27 pm »

Very nice Number 6  :-))

Mr Andy

« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2010, 11:32:34 pm »

Very very nice build, she looks the part.

Andy.  :-))

octo

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2010, 11:25:22 am »

Nice one Dave, very original. Tony :-))
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.